FireDragon Librewolf fork 🐉

Notice

This version of FireDragon has been succeeded by an improved one which is based on the excellent Floorp browser. Its announcement can be found here:

Just wanna share what I have been working on the last days, my new FireDragon browser :grin:
I like living at the edge & customizing every part of the system which is why I wanted to create a Librewolf fork using custom theming with some presets I use personally. Of course, there are some differences to Librewolf in the stable version (heavily inspired by Plasmafox):

• Enhanced KDE integration due to OpenSUSE patches (also using kfiredragonhelper)
  • Uses system own libraries wherever possible
  • Less strict default settings as Librewolf, behaves more like a “regular” browser in terms of not clearing logins & history on shutdown - people who prefer the old stricter settings can put this file into ~/.firedragon
  • Some Librewolf issues fixed such as not working addon search & DRM while retaining the important settings
  • Compatible with Wayland, set MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 as environment variable
  • Enabled PGO
  • Searx & Whoogle local search engines added (needs respective packages installed)
  • The default search engine is Garudas searX instance
  • Dark Reader & ClearURLs addons added
  • Sweet theme added
  • Custom, dr460nized branding :dragon:
  • Syncing with Firefox accounts enabled - this uses our selfhosted ffsync.garudalinux.org syncserver instead of Mozillas
  • Will keep in sync with Librewolfs changes
  • Support for own settings using ~/.firedragon/firedragon.overrides.cfg - use this to override default settings shipped in /usr/lib/firedragon/firedragon.cfg
  • Presets for both profile-sync-daemon (which Garuda ships by default) & Firejail available (merged upstream)
  • Builds available at Chaotic-AUR (our repo :stuck_out_tongue:)
  • Icons & artwork made by @SGS & @zoeruda
  • The new tab page shown in the screenshot is provided by the Tabliss addon, its settings can be imported from `tabliss.json in the repo after installing it

Differences of the Nightly version:

• Built off Firefox Nightly instead of stable
  • Will keep in sync with both Librewolfs & vnepogodins changes
  • No KDE patches & appmenu functionality as patches don’t exist for Nightly Firefox

The steps I take for setting up:

• Go into settings → privacy & security and add websites (+their subdomains) you use to sign in. This allows you to stay signed in at websites you regularly use & not keep cookies from not whitelisted websites - I find this to be a good solution.
  • Open uBlock origin and enable blocklists for your country (ugh, Dark Reader doesnt work for internal websites)

Sources:

37 Likes

Sounds cool but I think you should name it FireDragon.

12 Likes

Thats easy to do and I like the name, why didnt I think of this earlier :frowning: :joy:

7 Likes

It has a nice ring to it, and it's a natural.

Beauty project. :+1:

5 Likes

Mebbe a tad busy? :wink:

4 Likes

Thats definitly possible.. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

@dr460nf1r3 you always loved, man.

4 Likes

Dracula Browser... :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Does this use a separate profile directory to Firefox? If so, it means Firefox can be kept available as packages (and e.g. stop people complaining about "unremovable extensions") and this can be shipped instead. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

It does use a different directory (.dragonwolf)

Youre tempting me :innocent:

3 Likes

Awesome settings. Dragonwolf reminds me of Kurama from Naruto.

4 Likes

Looks great! If you package it for the AUR, I'll use it :slight_smile:

And yes, it should definitely be called FireDragon (sounds great and it's evocative of Firefox). DragonWolf has too many incompatible animals in the title. It's like calling it FrogFox...

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on the name guys, I totally agree with you. Just didnt think of it :smiley:
There is a new build with updated name cooking right now :slight_smile:

You probably mean like this?
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firedragon/

7 Likes

YES! Exactly like that!

frog_with_3_hearts_72

6 Likes

Now we cookin! Top job :+1:

3 Likes

Screenshot_About FireDragon_1

Name (and thus package name) changed to FireDragon. That Aurora pic will probably also be replaced by a beautiful @SGS artwork :smiley:

5 Likes

Lashings of Goodness! :heart:

1 Like

This is look good :ok_hand:
Getting it at the moment :relaxed:

1 Like

Reply from FireDragon...sweet! :innocent:

2 Likes

I know it's kind of a stupid question but I never have used Gitlab how do I download it? I'm just gathering info for tomorrow when the rest of my parts come in for my pc. Can't wait to use Linux for the first time! I love how it looks was just about to get Librewolf too and then this topic came up at the right time! thanks

4 Likes