Performance optimized repositories - cachyos-aur

Okay, let me explain that:

I used Garuda a long time ago.

Garuda was my next distro after Manjaro, and I’ve met skilled people on this forum. Garuda is also good and more stable than Manjaro. After all I left Garuda and start using Arch Linux.

Me and Garuda Linux in the past - response for micro vs nano.

I also wrote a post about that variant on the Garuda forum. :slight_smile:

This variant of Garuda currently doesn’t exist - my post was from 8 Dec '20 03:24. It’s called Garuda Linux KDE lite now. When I used Garuda, nano was pre-installed, and most distros use or know nano.

Anyway, it’s just a text editor. I can use Garuda and vi, vim, nano, micro, and emacs; everyone has their preferences.

So it’s a little bit odd to write me this:

even installed by default on Garuda. micro is the default text editor.

If you have a package X pre-installed as the default option, does it mean everyone must use that package X?

I know micro, and I tried, but I decided to use nano and sometimes vim. Even if I decided to use Garuda actively, I won’t use micro.
So I can’t understand what I have done badly, is it wrong to have your preferences?

I also sometimes faced bugs or issues when I used GUI way to do or install something. I started preferring the CLI way and using the terminal. I also can’t write a script for GUI. I must know how to do it in the bash script - CLI, bash, terminal, etc.

So I decided to leave Garuda and jump directly to the sea of vanilla Arch Linux.

I left Garuda Linux around one year back, and I am currently staying on Arch Linux and sometimes experimenting with Artix Linux and even fewer GUI distros like Void Linux.

My Motivation for participating in the forum. After all, experiences gained from using Garuda, Manjaro or any other Arch-based distributions lead to the Motivation to show people how they also can learn more about CLI or improve Garuda with some effort.

Nobody knows, when an issue or bug appears in the GUI or when we need to do something impossible through GUI and CLI, the terminal is the only way to do it.

That’s why I wrote some guides on this forum, these guides are quite popular, and they are sometimes linked with another article on this forum.

Configuration for Intel HW:

NVIDIA, this guide surprised me with how much is linked to other articles, sometimes by Garuda moderators like @filo

Motivation for this post about cachyos repo?

Well, I know Garuda is sometimes linked with performance and gaming, and our Arch repo has the goal of maximizing performance much as possible, so I wrote this article.

Last words

I always create guides designed to work with vanilla Arch Linux - I try to be minimalist as possible to maximize compatibility with another Arch-based OS.
I don’t see the reason why commands from Arch Linux shouldn’t work with Garuda Linux, it’s an Arch-based distro.

I hope it doesn’t sound offensive. I was trying to explain.

2 Likes

Maybe you need to refresh the repo.

1. sudo pacman -Sy
  2. sudo pacman -S linux-cachyos linux-cachyos-headers

Let me know if that helps or not.

1 Like

Hmm, interesting discovery. Nobody around me is using the WPS Office on Linux.

Does WPS from AUR works, or also doesn't works?

I appreciate the thorough explanation! That more than satisfies my curiosity; I mostly found it puzzling that someone would create an account and join the discussion without using the distribution in the first place.

The fact that you continue to hang out with us even after you’ve stopped running Garuda is perhaps testament to how great the community is! :smile:

Not at all. Everyone is more than welcome to use whatever they like. You don’t need a reason to use or not use a software; it is your freedom to choose what you prefer.

When dispensing advice in the forum however, it is useful to recommend the defaults because we know everyone has them installed. Especially in the case of a new user, it can be confusing or frustrating when people are suggesting they run commands that don’t work because they don’t have the right package installed.

I know what you mean. The GUI can obscure away from us the finer mechanisms of a program, sometimes making it (ironically) more difficult to interact with.

Not at all. I hope my question did not cause you offense or come off as accusatory. As far as i am concerned, anyone that is here to help is more than welcome. :blush:

7 Likes

It looks like the referenced script installs the cachyos repos above all the other repos.

[garuda]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/chaotic-mirrorlist

[cachyos-v3]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/cachyos-v3-mirrorlist

[cachyos]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/cachyos-mirrorlist

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]

[community]

[multilib]

[chaotic-aur]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/chaotic-mirrorlist

The order of the repos matters; in the case of a package being available from more than one source, whatever is on top wins.

I wonder if you would have better luck with your Chaotic packages if you moved the cachyos repos down below the Chaotic repo?

3 Likes

I was happy to satisfy your curiosity.

1. Garuda forum and community is much better than any other community that I met. I personally wrote a guide for gaming on the Manjaro forum, it’s a long time ago - around 2020.
    I have no reason to go back or write any post on the Manjaro forum
  2. As for this:

Not at all. Everyone is more than welcome to use whatever they like. You don’t need a reason to use or not use a software; it is your freedom to choose what you prefer.

When dispensing advice in the forum however, it is useful to recommend the defaults because we know everyone has them installed. Especially in the case of a new user, it can be confusing or frustrating when people are suggesting they run commands that don’t work because they don’t have the right package installed.

Well, this is a hard part to don’t sound rude or wrong.

1. Well, I understand your viewpoint, but to be honest, it’s incredibly hard to make something friendly and pleasant from Arch Linux to users.
    Arch Linux will always be Arch Linux - by the philosophy of Arch Linux, that distro will always be complex and require skills.
    You can create a lot of effort to change and hide that reality, but one day you will be met the natural maturity of Arch Linux in any Arch-based distribution, and if you want to continue to use that distro, you must accept that.

2. So, I thought it was natural to understand when I saw the command nano /path/something/name.conf I can replace that with vim or micro. Especially in the case when you use an Arch-based distro. :sweat_smile:

This is not Windows and we as experienced users of Linux should learn the new users. Linux will be hard, and it will be sometimes really annoying. Even I sometimes just rage when something goes wrong, but hey… yeah or I can jump to the Windows again… :smiley:

Thats right, but
Garuda Linux is not Arch Linux
EnOS is not Arch Linux
Manjaro is not Arch Linux

It makes no sense to force vim on beginners. The requirements here are already high enough, even if some Garuda tools make it easier to get started.

Advanced users can use whatever they want. :slight_smile:

Please keep in mind, even though Garuda is Arch based, we have our own philosophy, just like the other OS mentioned above.

5 Likes

So you're the one who wrote nvidia-all? That really just saved my life.

Just tried the GuC / HuC firmware and Framebuffer compression guide. I don't know if it's just my impression, but the system does seem a lot faster! A lot more than I'd expect. Combined with these repos (when I try again), that will really be like a full CPU upgrade.

1 Like

Installed the ALHP repos

WPS Office works now.

I'm mind-blown by the difference with GuC/HuC/Framebuffer plus x86_64-v3!

1 Like

Glad to hear! :slight_smile:
I recommend reading this: Firmware | 01.org

It describes why your Intel CPU works much better right now.

And nvidia-all not my work, only a guide for it.

When I used Garuda one year ago, I must help myself, for example:

Or this:

No one gives me a great solution.

Or MHWD sometimes refused to install Nvidia drivers correctly, and games won’t start.
So that’s why I ended up with this opinion. If you are using Arch-based distribution, users, after a while, end up on Arch Wiki and must face the true nature of Arch Linux.

Sorry if I sound rude or something like that. I just did this experience. :man_shrugging:

x86-64-v2: (close to Nehalem) CMPXCHG16B, LAHF-SAHF, POPCNT, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSSE3

That's a CPU from 2008. I don't think anything older should be called, like legacy repo.

Question. Do AUR packages get custom-built with x86-64-v3? If not, how to make it so?

I have my own guide for it.

You just need to adjust the file in the /etc/makepkg.conf

You should find this:

#-- Compiler and Linker Flags
#CPPFLAGS=""
CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions \
        -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security \
        -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection"

And edit that to this:

#CPPFLAGS=""
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions \

You can also manually define your CPU, but you first need to know your architecture:

gcc -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march | awk '{print $2}' | head -1

For example, my output is tigerlake, that's why my config file looks like this:

#CPPFLAGS=""
CFLAGS="-march=tigerlake -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions \

Anyway, my script can just grab any PKGBUILD from the repo and then build for your CPU.

2 Likes

Any idea how to rebuild all AUR packages on a system once this change has been made?

You can use the following command to list all packages installed manually - not through pacman.

pacman -Qm

Then

paru -S package1 package2 package3 --rebuild
1 Like

Ah that makes sense. Thank you

1 Like

Installed both kernel and repo on Garuda Sway, will test it for a while and share the results :slight_smile:

Hehe. I can use nano or vim, micro doesn’t seem to be too hard either - but I don’t quite get why you would when you’ve got kate. ^^

From original Post:

Wouldn’t that be “garuda-update” here?

Edit: Well tried it out and got greeted while updating with 2,35GiB of new package-data. It’s good that this distro uses snapshots, otherwise I’d be a little worried ^^

Edit2: Alright, after a reboot everything works fine.

1 Like

IIRC, kate is only in Garuda KDE but we have many more DE without kate :smiley: