Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

Xplane 11, msfs is to soothe ur eyes, use xplane if u want realism

I decided to use xfce, tons of bugs settled for lxqt

What one is easier to use?

So, I broke into Garuda Linux gitlab repository today, an year ago. And am glad that I did!

:partying_face:

9 Likes

It really got beautiful! :innocent:

On 28.4.20 I had my first interaction with the Garuda team it seems :blush:

How much it all changed and improved over time is incredible! :partying_face:

8 Likes

I see there is a grammer error on the old Garuda Welcome

Its the only distribution which I get the to install from time to time, just because of fun. Still, Garuda is my to-go distribution ( obviously :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Interestingly, this is really the truth. I have seen one reviewer so far taking notice of our garuda-system-maintenance tool for example o.o

6 Likes

yeah, and its really sad, because in the “Garuda’s case”, the “under the hood” has alot of substance and really good work. Its not just a pretty desktop!

It would really be something like a “garuda” but based on gentoo instead of arch. Calculate is very very good, but its very “stable and server” oriented, as all binary gentoo distros tend to be.

Which is why i don’t trust *anjaro, with the repository system. I mean I like the idea of multiple repos for “stability” ( both in tech terms and in terms of not so many updates or things changing ). but to be properly done, everything would need to be recompiled.
This is of course my opinion, I am not close with the *anjaro guys and dunno the full inner workings of the distro ( not have i ever done a distro myself, so worthless opinion ).

2 Likes

yeah, and its really sad, because in the “Garuda’s case”, the “under the hood” has alot of substance and really good work. Its not just a pretty desktop!

4 Likes

That is the fact. You may like it or not but for more than 90% of all pc users, ease of use and looks is what matters most. Which is practically true, and is basis of thousands of tech brands, including prominent ones.

For example, take ms office. You can use Libre office or open office or free office or other freeware alternative to ms office in most use cases, but a lot of people still tend to spend money to purchase ms office, because better gui tends to attract people. Everyone knows it sends data to ms, but they pretend to not care. They don’t want to know what’s behind ms office or windows or macos. They are actually using it for some other purposes, like graphic designing, education, social media, mining etc.
Also, complete fashion industry is based on looks.

But we are on Linux community, and here people (including me) are more concerned about what’s underneath.

Everyone has their own priorities, and imho, it is not “sad”

4 Likes

I meant sad in the way that there is an under appreciated work and effort made in Garuda Linux.

No, I don’t like it, although yeah, may even be higher than 90%.

I don’t particulary agree in full with the rest, but don’t actually disagree enough to mention it.
Let me just iterate again that i think its “sad” because if you are reviewing something, REVIEW IT.
Its like reviewing a PC without turning it on: “ohh review of laptop X → its brown. click on subscribe”.

That is sad… Review it in a way that shows what it is, what is different, what is the same, the pro’s and the con’s.

I know I am saying this, because I knew Garuda Linux since early this year, but it was “Reviewed” as “manjaro/endeverous with themes for gamers”. Since I don’t really game much, I just though it had nothing else to offer.

But again, maybe I am being to picky… and what is a bad review for me, is just the standard review of today. ( and don’t get me started on the REVIEW OF DISTRO X, then goes one to show stock vanilla {gnome,kde,xfce} or whatever, and nothing really particular to that distro ).

1 Like

That’s exactly the reviews of most of pc cabinets :joy:

Jokes apart I get you and agree with you. That’s why I never take any review seriously. Most of them are alike. Reviewing superficially.

Imo, any reviewer should spend some time with the thing they are reviewing, say, at least a week for softwares. I don’t like reviewers who review things that they heard of yesterday. If that is all they have to say, why should I watch his review at all? Why should not I, myself give it a shot and see if I like it or not?

I don’t generally watch reviews, except Garuda Linux ones, because it is good to hear nice about website I made
:grin:

5 Likes

:slight_smile: sorry, maybe today I am just “crancky”.

I guess I do take some reviewers seriously. I don’t just do or think whatever they say, but I admire that they do awesome work. ( For example, see Marques Brownlee “What I REALLY Think of the iPhone!” Intro video, just the first 2 minutes. I guess when he says : Its an art (I won’t post the link directly because I don’t want a link to a Iphone review associated with my post hehehe))

But it seems today reviews are like those soap opera shows to show every day on the tv, instead of those awesome very details documentaries that took effort and skill to do.

If you like to hear nice about the website, then: The website you made is great. First the bad: I am not a “dark theme” guy, only on coding and shell. So, the coloring/theme is not really my style, but I don’t consider them bad, just not my style. Apart from that, major kudos for the content of the webpage. It shows right away what AT MINIMUM every “review” should have ( just mentioning again reviews because we were talking about it ). Great display of “right away and quickly, this is what we do and what we offer”.

In the download page, it would be nice a button “go directly to the downloads”, but the intro at the top of showing how to install and what is needed, sets the tone that the distro is directed to helping new users. I also like the way the editions and info are layed out.

The about page is kinda “meh” to me, which dunno if its good or bad. And the link to the services are great.
I understand that maybe the services aren’t “set in stone” and may be removed, but if they are a core offer from garuda, they should be described in the intro page ( for example, i absolutely depend now on garuda searx and firedragon ).

Comparing to *anjaro, the garuda website wins without even breaking effort ! please never go that route!!!
Comparing to endeavouros, i am conflicted: I pretty much prefer the way you did the intro page, the layout, the text, the images and the information. but … and I have to say this, if anyone knows the art creator of endeavouros… I love it, absolutely amazing, would love it. If I knew his email address, I would spam him everything with emails telling him how much I like his work! ( healthy behavior , right :slight_smile: )

Now if you read until the end, this is “sort of a little review improvised”. :slight_smile: just as an example. Imagine if this was my paying job :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s exactly how I initially designed it. But it seemed necessary to add such instructions at latter point of time, so it became like this. It is really necessary indeed, especially default password and recommend hardware.

Yep, I know that. But website is in vanilla HTML and CSS right now. And it is not feasible to expand website without framework. I initiated rewriting it in Angular, but I had to leave it in midway because of personal reasons. I will continue to work on it again in October. You can check currently done work here

I am not criticizing anyone, but that that website is made using hugo. If automatic website generators were as good as web developers, why would anyone hire any web developer? :wink:

You can still spam their forums. But don’t tell anyone that I gave you the idea. :shushing_face:

And

No need to apologize. I don’t take offenses(except when it is too serious).
A typical engineering student behavior :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I will take a look. I actually have a lot of experience in emberjs and some in react and vue. were never in the angular camp. But I had the good luck that I always had a good team of creative artists in the companies where I did websites. I suck at doing design and “paintbrush” work …that is why I admire a lot creative artists.

heh nah, i would never do that. but its one of the best art work i have seen in … i would say linux, but … nah … everywhere ( i love the astronaut ).

don’t take offense, really … most things aren’t personal, and when they are, its OK!
something this decaying mummy took lots of centuries to learn… its ok. pride most of the times ruins things. But I am just saying this in general terms.

Sorry for derailing this topic that should be about tech news. It’s nice talking here !

2 Likes

Yeah, a lots of people prefer react over angular these days. Tbh, I chose angular over react, because at the time I learned angular, I preferred Google over Facebook :sweat_smile:
But people are more inclined towars react, and I may even try to learn react and rewrite website in react js instead of angular. It looks that not much effort will be wasted. But I am really busy until 3rd October. I will try after that.

Don’t worry, I will move it to another topic after we are done with this conversation.
Edit: moved

5 Likes

hahah nice :slight_smile:

I don’t really like react, I always liked emberjs. But well … you know … market share and all that.

When I was in the univ. I really liked google… they did seem like a nice company that “would never do any evil” :slight_smile:
Plus they were really big with open source offerings, Google IO and etc

I still think emberjs is great, but there are a ton more things for react and vuejs.

One tech that I never did professionally, but will test out sooner or later is elixir + liveview.
That and RIIR :slight_smile:

Well … if it is to learn … no effort is wasted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mark Passio - Natural Law Seminar - Part 1 of 3 - 2013-10-19 (odysee.com)

A nice thing in this horrible world:

3 Likes

I have a Question
What are we for using Garuda? :smiley:

• A Nerd
  • A Geek
  • Other?

0 voters

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes