This is the official thread for our FAQ, please look here for answers prior to creating a new thread. New questions will be added gradually.
What are the first steps after installing Garuda Linux?
- Setting initial mirrorlist
Open up "Reflector Simple" and make your choices. After testing the servers you will get a fresh mirrorlist.
- Updating the system
Its a simple as opening the terminal and typing "sudo pacman -Syu". You will also find a shortcut to a GUI tool called Pamac in the startmenu which serves the same purpose.
- Setting the terminal shortcut for updating mirrorlist and system at the same time
Open the file ~/.zshrc (you can do this via GUI or opening the terminal and typing "micro .zshrc") and find an alias called "#upd=...". Remove the "#" and change the options to fit your location and preferences. Now close the editor and type zsh to apply the change.
- Downloading language packs
Some applications got language packs which are separated from the main application
(Firefox, Libreoffice, etc..). Usually you are required to download them manually however Garuda Linux is shipping the Garuda settings manager for that purpose. You will find a language pack option where you can select which language packs you want to download.
- Setting the terminal theme
Garuda Linux is shipping with the Powerlevel10k zsh theme which makes working with the terminal easier. To set it up simply launch the terminal and answer the question of the setup wizard. Make sure to press yes until the actual theme choices pop up (the needed patched font is already included).
What is a "barebones" edition?
These editions contain the minimum amount of DE needed, no theming, no metapkg - also no support
Which version is recommended for me?
We recommend Ultimate editions for beginners and Lite for more experienced users
Can I switch versions without reinstalling?
This is universally applicable:
Switching to BSPWM from KDE - #2 by dr460nf1r3
My screen looks dark and yellow colored?
Its Nightlight or Redshift which is running. Simply turn off the feature.
How to make docker work?
What hardware is required to run Garuda Linux?
- Ultimate editions are made for having all the right tools needed to get gaming started on Linux, out of the box. For Ultimate editions we recommend a minimum of 6 GB of RAM and 40 GB of storage space.
- Lite editions are made for having only minimal packages preinstalled out of the box. This way you can customize it later how you want - the choice is yours to make. For Lite editions we recommend a minimum of 3 GB of RAM and 20 GB of storage space.
- If your hardware doesnt meet the requirements it might be better to install another more lightweight distribution.
Booting the ISO takes ages and wont finish! (I Have NVIDIA Hardware)
Select the driver = free option in the bootloaders menu for now. There are some kernel issues which need to be fixed by the developers.
What are the live login details?
They are garuda / garuda.
The idle RAM usage is pretty high, how to I reduce it?
Its widely known that unused RAM is wasted RAM nowadays. In Garuda we use some performance tweaks that might increase RAM usage while improving performance such as systemd-swap.
Generally you dont have to worry about this. If you still want to save some RAM you can try disabling systemd services you dont use. This can be done by opening the terminal and typing "sudo systemctl disable --now" and pressing tab instead of enter. It will show you all active services which you can then disable. An example is bluetooth, not everyone uses bluetooth so the service could safely be disabled.
Virtualbox doesnt work right after installation?
Run the following to use Virtualbox without restart:
sudo modprobe vboxdrv
What is the recommended partition layout for the installation?
- If you want a complete BTRFS setup you will have to create one big BTRFS partition ("erase entire disk" in Calamares) since BTRFS will create subvolumes which are almost like different partitions.
- If there are multiple disks used in your setup install Garuda to the first disk, then reboot and add the remaining disks via "btrfs device add /dev/sdb /home/sdb" for example.
- After that balance the filesystem using "btrfs filesystem balance /"
A system upgrade broke everything! Panic!
This wiki article explains how to restore the system
Im using a KDE variant and applications crash and it feels very buggy?
You are most likely using Plasma (Wayland) session. Use the regular Plasma (Xorg) session instead as Wayland is still in heavy development in KDE.
Newly installed applications dont show up in the Wayfire edition!
Open the terminal and type killall "wf-panel && wf-panel &" to make them show up without having to restart the pack
How to get checksums and keys of the downloaded isos?
Open up the Sourceforge page of Garuda Linux and find the version you just downloaded. Another mehtod is finding the checksums in the same directory as the direct download.
How do I change the background in the Wayfire edition?
To change the wallpaper we have to edit ~/.config/wf-shell.ini
Find the line "image" in the [background] block and change the path to match your wallpaper
I have a high resolution monitor and things dont look pretty, what do I do?
We have made things easy and added a toggle for HiDPI mode in the Garuda welcome app. Find it in the settings tab!
My vulkan installation is not recognized by Lutris! What should I do about it?
Firefox doesnt work with Webconferencing/etc..?
Thats the privacy tweaks we ship by default. You can workaround if you need the website to work in any case by doing this
How do I take screenshots easily?
Most editions ship Ksnip as screenshot utility. Pressing Print should be enough to take a screenshot
How do I get new themes?
Install the package "ocs-url" and visit Gnome-look.org afterwards. Lots of themes and icon packs available - installable right through the website. If you are using GNOME the theme can be changed via GNOME tweaks, on other DE you can for example use lxappearance if there is no native theme changer.
If you are on KDE themes can be installed via system settings!
Why are there 2 Steam launchers?
One uses steams own libraries, the other one system native ones. This might result in a performance boost for example if system binaries are newer. However it possibly creates compatibility issues resulting in game crashes. Keep that in mind when using the native launcher.
There is feature X which isnt included, will you add it?
Probably, if it makes sense and we are able to implement it. You are free to make suggestions on how to do this.
How can I support this project?
- For now, the best way to support Garuda Linux is by spreading the word and recommending it to other people.
- Donations are not needed right now.
- Another nice way to help Garuda Linux is to leave a review at Distrowatch
Where do I get answers to questions not answered in this FAQ?