Cant even boot Garuda

Hello Guys,

i know i didnt posted the requested things but i cant even reach the Point (Sorry im an absolute Beginner with Linux System Basics) .

I Just made myself a Garuda Stick (tried out a lot ) GNOME / KDE / LXQT.

Everything seems fine the Stick boots up and it doesnt matter which option i am choosing (nvidia / source driver) ill get a Black Screen and System reboots after 30 seconds.

Here my Hardware Specs:

Core i9 9900k
H370 Asrock board
RTX Zotac 2080ti
128GB SSD (SATA)
1TB SSD (SATA)
16GB DDR4 RAM Corsair Dominator 3200MHz

Is there any Problems with my Video Card or my System components ?

Glad if someone could help me out a little.

Have a nice Day guys

Thanks in advance!

Welcome :slight_smile:

You can post full specs of your PC from live ISO with inxi -Faz, as text please.

Use forum search too and follow the template you delete.

4 Likes

How did you write the image to USB? What application or process? If rufus, use something else.

3 Likes

If you have any other PC try that usb in that PC to see if it works. Otherwise try "Ventoy" or "balena etcher"

Welcome to the flaming dragonā€¦errrrā€¦I mean Garuda. :wave:

Just wanted to add, Arch in general is not ā€¦idealā€¦for newbies. Not trying to discourage you, but it is not a training wheels distribution, mostly intended for moderate to advanced users. However, if you got the gumption to dig in and learn as you go, well, good on you. Have fun.

I somewhat disagree with this. AUR has so much of the weird software that folks would otherwise need to compile themselves, which is quite the undertaking for a *nix newb, whereas AUR makes it pretty easy and reliable.
Sure, Arch has its drawbacks, but on balance, it holds itself own IMO for newbs, but has the potential to remain in their lives if/as they develop through intermediate/advanced/uber nerd.

1 Like

Chrispynut (has to be voted the best signature of the year), I understand your point, and agree somewhat, especially your last sentence, but I point to exhibit A; all the newbie help posts on the forum.

Plus, you forgot to mention, Arch is a rolling-release. You can visualize that with the newbie sitting at the top of the rolling release, roller-coaster, before the cart descends into an update breakage of screaming confusion. It is all subjective, but I never recommend Arch for newbies. Linux Mint has good training wheels, then you get off the bike and upgrade to Arch. :wink:

1 Like

Mint's been my goto suggestion (and a personal favourite of mine), but things still break on there and far more expectantly. Atleast with Arch, breaks are expected.

I wouldn't recommend without warning and it would be for the more adventurous newb, but there are certainly advantages to the lack of complacency with Arch as opposed to Mint. Something breaks on Arch it's "that was inconvenient timing", something breaks on Mint it's "OMG everything's dead, what did I do wrong, my computer's useless, I have no idea what to do, panic panic panic".

Beyond that, Mint's stability comes at the cost of restriction, breaking through those restrictions to customize more than a little and the increased stability's out the window.
More options to allow for better fit to the individual. I have hopes for the immutable distros to offer Windows/Mac like stability/reliability without "going to the dark-side".

1 Like

Do any of you ever run just plain old vanilla Arch installed by the wiki? It's as stable as any other rolling-release distribution out there. Many of us have used it for years, some for that very reason.

What? Did you think Garuda developers would use an inferior, unstable base?

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to U.S. residents.
:smiley:

2 Likes

I don't think Arch itself is unstable, but from the issues I have seen over the years, it is the outside app maintainers. A lot of that has to do with Arch constantly updating and there is no 'pause' like in Debian and other distros between updates to catch breakages, or play catch-up, so issues occur more frequently.

I am a big fan of rolling-releases, but I also know how to strap on a tool belt.

Edit to add: Manjaro tries to put a 'pause' in Arch to catch the issues, but those of us who have used that distro know how well that works. :joy:

1 Like

Nope, really CBA. I have an aversion to making work for myself simply for the purpose of making work for myself.

Iā€™m reading that in the dirtiest (and only plausible) way possible and thereā€™s nothing you can do to stop me!

2 Likes

The Archlinux home page lists the various items and workarounds and it has only gotten better over time.

It is users that tend to break things or ignore warnings. And that is true for any distribution. Is Debian less stable because of what Mint or Ubuntu users do with it? Even Debian Testing, which I ran for years, is more stable than its users.

Developers adopting any of the major distribution package bases might add to the perceived instability. Take, for example the recent Pamac breakage. Who was responsible for that? Arch? Garuda? Or was it the Pamac developer and/or maintainer that wasnā€™t paying attention to what was planned?

Yaā€™ll be barking up the wrong tree. I mean, I have read these same arguments here as in the Manjaro or other distributions that depend on Archā€™s stability. It seems a lot like biting the hand that feeds you (collectively). But you know where I never read it? From knowledgeable users In the Arch forums.

1 Like

Putting all the blame on the users is not valid. I am not saying the users donā€™t create their own messes now and again, but there is plenty of Arch updates and maintainer examples to justify my statement.

You can take the recent KDE update push from Arch that caused all the ā€˜libicuiXXXā€™ errors that popped up on the forum in the last few days. It caused several issues with various apps, leaving the user not able to update. That was not a user created problem. Thankfully Nico jumped in and saved the day there.

It is too easy to put all the blame on users.

3 Likes

Are we going just a little bit off topic here? :blush:

1 Like

Did you happen to stumble upon that in the Arch forumsā€¦or just here? :slight_smile:

Is libicu* even an Arch package? Or is it something the user or distribution installed? All I can find is an AUR pkg with a similar name. Nothing in the normal Arch repositories. I ask because I run Arch + KDE (in it right now), and I see no file or pkg by that name anywhere on my system, nor did I have any such related problems.

1 Like

A simple search is all that is needed;

And there is many moreā€¦ just search on ā€˜libicuiā€™. You probably didnā€™t have any of the apps or repo version that was affected by the KDE push.

No, I do not have any installed.

Neither is libicu* an Arch package, and I dare you to show me in what Arch repository it resides.

It is an AUR package, isn't it?
:wink:

2 Likes

You surely have icu installed :wink:

2 Likes

https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/icu/

Yes, now I do. Thank you for providing actual information. This is very interesting, as, in reading down the list of applications that make use of it, I note that I have several installed and running.

That begs the question of why my very vanilla Arch+ KDE was not impacted/affected in any way. It has been totally business-as-usual. There could be several reasons:

So it still appears that Arch is a stable base. The update to icu broke AUR packages, not Arch ones. And that will happen from time to time. But breakage has been so rare for me running Archā€“I mean broken Arch packages, not something easily pinned or rolled-backā€“that I remember only one that impacted me much. Networkmanager. Frigging networkmanager. But that was half-expected, as it had always been a fitfull application in Debian Testing, too. :wink:

As I said, the majority of appmenu packages are in the AUR: AUR (en) - Packages

So Iā€™m sticking by Arch. And I still say that Garudaā€™s developers would not and did not use an inferior, unstable package base for their distribution. Arch is as stable as any rolling-release out there. To call Arch anything else, is to insult Garudaā€™s developers.

2 Likes