THE Big thread about performance

Here I want to exchange ideas with everybody about how to hack your operating system to perform better than yesterday. Each post should contain its own separate topic for convenient quotes for other threads.

4 Likes

I actually shared idea how to bring more performance for gaming. Garuda Team start implementation nvidia-tkg.

Next things what you can do for better gaming performance:

Aplication level

1. Custom Proton (GE or TKG)
  2. Close other programs, while you want to more performance
  3. Set higher priority with KSysGuard

System level
kernel-tkg have a lot of variant optimized for each one CPU architecture and manufacture.

For better understanding how much important and incredible is Frogging-Family for Linux especially for gaming i recommend visit Frogging-Family Discord:

You can found a lot of cool stuffs and fixes for games, Wine, Proton, Mesa, Nvidia, vkd3d. I noticed some efforts around futex2 patches. But remember, there are place with really really advanced users this is a reason why Frogging-Family is so powerful.

Next strong community called SHITTYWONK:

Admin is GloriousEggroll, he is creater Proton-GE. Itā€™s probably similar like Frogging-Family, but you can found rooms for Arch, Proton, general linux, Fedora and Ubuntu. SHITTYWONK is second most important community for gaming, so many patches, fixes come from this place.

If you will follow both Discords, you can see development in the real time. :smiley: First patches for Cyberpunk 2077 came from Frogging-Family. They came with it at night when everyone hyped around Cyberpunk 2077, on the morning i saw a lot of users play Cyberpunk 2077 with linux-tkg-bmq or pds on the Arch Linux. I think this is a really great example how it is good place.

3 Likes

A small tweak I do to improve shader compilation times is to add

export __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP=1

into /etc/environment to get rid of NVIDIAā€™s stupid 128MB shader limit per game. Iā€™ve been doing this for so long I donā€™t even know if they already solved this, but I still do.

EDIT: Holy shit, they literally just did it with the 460 drivers!

"Increased the default size for new OpenGL/Vulkan Shader Disk Cache location to 1024MB. Note that caches with paths containing ā€œ/.nv/ will continue to use the previous default of 128MB unless the size is manually overridden. For more information see the ā€œOpenGL Shader Disk Cacheā€ section in the ā€œSpecifying OpenGL Environment Variable Settingsā€ chapter of the README.ā€

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Garuda Cloud Topic

I just tried many kernel from the garuda repo and found inux-cacule best for two reasons:

1. more resposive than zen and no need of enabling performance tweaks for it
  2. overall ram usage almost 20 to 30 percent less.

Any downside to cacule kernel compared to zen?

I am trying to find

Did you try adding the cachyos repo and then installing linux-cachyos ? Afaik that's the kernel the cacule dev uses

No I haven't, actually I am satisfied with cacule's performance and had never done things like adding repo :sweat_smile: I just try to find easiest way to get the things in work but you can try it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Linux-zen didnt run in my pc. I am will also try this kenrnel. :grinning:
Is it better than LTS?

I have also tried LTS kernel and found that cacule is the best that suits for my workflow as It is great in handling game and for doing normal work in my laptop and It will be great if you try it by yourself so that you can find whether it is good for you or not.
Just give it a try :wink:
@Aegon

1 Like

I am in it now :joy:
CPU usages are a lot lower than before.

1 Like

As i expected :joy: what about RAM ?

1 Like

I haven't find any difference yet. Will find sooner. :grinning:
RAM usage is static. It is at 2.3G.
I am confused :joy:

1 Like

OK , I expect that also to be lower now, as It is in my laptop. :wink:
specially RAM consumption of browser.

1 Like

So is it something less consumption or more or still no difference.
Wanted to ask just for curiosity

Okay fair enough haha. Well it's as easy as the following if you get the itch to try. It adds the repo which allows for more optimisations using CPU detection so that certain flags are used for optimisations. So basically run the commands below and then sudo pacman -S linux-cachyos linux-cachyos-headers

wget https://mirror.cachyos.org/cachyos-repo.tar.xz
tar xvf cachyos-repo.tar.xz
cd repo
sudo ./cachyos-repo.sh

2 Likes

@Grimy1928 I just made an account JUST to thank you for this....every single graphic on my system had this little microstutter to it, every game, every menu graphic, even just trying to pop latte up by moving my cursor down.....but I just did this by your suggestion and BAM its all gone....everything is running smoothly and at top tier exactly how I imagine it should...cant thank you enough! cheers bud!

unfortunately the waterblock on my GPU was leaking from the back and it leaked into my PSU which in turn shorted that and also fried my mobo.....but LUCKILY it didnt even hurt my GPU thank goodness...so I have been busy trying to get everything set back up the way I had it...and this helped with something I kind of had from before so again thanks for this.

3 Likes

Hey, I'm really glad to hear that it helped. Ever since I first tried it I haven't been able to go back to Zen. Was using this kernels since the beginning almost and it's definitely fully stable imo. Or at least it's much better than it used to be haha. Couple of quick notes though as I hadn't noticed until recently, the script backs up your pacman.conf and makes a new one but the new one has a couple of things I would change. The repo doesn't take into account you're using Garuda it seems and also removes the chaotic aur line. So my suggestion is to open your pacman.conf at /etc/pacman.conf and change the line "HoldPkg = pacman glibc system" to "HoldPkg = pacman glibc garuda-system". And at the bottom of the file under "[multilib]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist" add the line "[chaotic-aur]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/chaotic-mirrorlist". Then save and run the update command and don't worry about any warnings. Hope that helps. And enjoy the kernel!

1 Like

There was a problem when I tried to test it , when I rebooted to this kernel then the login screen was not showing and the caps lock indicator light was blinking .