Set Default Sound Profile when connected to HDMI

Hi,

Is there any way to set default profile for sound to HDMI (in my case - a TV) whenever a HDMI output is detected?

Can I use the instructions from here?

Also, I had the volume key issue, which was resolved after I rolled back to pulseaudio ( link )

TIA

Pavucontrol is a great little utility. Use it in conjunction with Paprefs and it should work just fine. What does your experimentation with it show you?

5 Likes

If you mean setting with GUI, why not try?
If you mean automatic setting, this is a personalized preference and is not implemented, since it is easy to do it via classic GUI setting.
Or use a udev rule to run a script or a command.
Here is an example (you need to study about udev and experiment)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Execute_on_VGA_cable_plug_in

3 Likes

Being brand new to Linux, I prefer using instructions with little to no modifications, if possible. For now, every time I restart my laptop, fortunately, it is picking up the HDMI Audio Output. Thanks for the input. I'll certainly put sometime into studying udev. :slight_smile:

Hier haben wir ein gutes Beispiel dafĂĽr welche Benutzer wir nicht im Forum unterstĂĽtzen werden.

Here we have a good example of which users we will not be supporting in the forum.

[quote="Maverick, post:4, topic:2883"]
Being brand new to Linux, I prefer using instructions with little to no modifications, if possible. For now, every time I restart my laptop, fortunately, it is picking up the HDMI Audio Output. Thanks for the input. I'll certainly put sometime into studying udev.
[/quote] :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is discouraging. But thanks, I'd rather move to a distribution that supports new users; I had higher hopes, I guess. :expressionless:

Well there is some reasoning behind this. Spoon feeding users can of course be done but there are no long-term benefits. The following wraps it up perfectly imo:

4 Likes

This makes more sense than SGS' reply (which is truly discouraging for new users). TY :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, sorry

Next time I will check double.

I got for your text different answers in translation. Seems google make "sometime" to "sometimes"

I'll certainly put sometime into studying udev.

google / tablet

Ich werde sicherlich irgendwann in das Studium von udev investieren :slight_smile:

deepl / PC

Ich werde sicherlich einige Zeit in das Studium von udev investieren :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don't worry. He is just... German... Language difficulties are misinterpreting intentions.:wink:

4 Likes

Eh :smiley: But I can confirm, the above example of the translation does have a completely different meaning the me, first one sounds rather not serious while the seconds one doesnt :thinking:

3 Likes