Pamac wants to update Proton-Ge-Custom

Hello, everyone!

I'm new Garuda Linux user and I'd problems with Octopi which is the reason why I installed Pamac.

When I use sistem update via Pamac I get updates for Proton-Ge-Custom but when I try the same from Garuda Assitent it says: System is up-to-date, there is nothing to do....

So my question is should I update at all from Pamac?

Also I was thinking the issue is maybe because of Chaotic-AUR or AUR packages then I cheked that proton-GE is from AUR not Chaotic-AUR at least that's what Pamac says...

Most likely not. Its been quite a problematic way to update over the years (and that is putting it lightly). Not to mention the garuda-update does much more than just updates, it also does fixes if needed. You can also set it to update AUR packages as well. Take a look at Garuda Update | Garuda Linux wiki for more information.

If you find you still need a GUI package manager, I would check out Bauh. I usually use it to manage my Flatpaks, but it is still fully featured apart from that. Also, I would update with garuda-update before using any GUI package manager.

Proton-GE-Custom is also from the Chaotic-AUR. The version is slightly behind because Chaotic-AUR pre-builds the packages for you and thus it takes time for that repo to catch up.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

And also, I didn't manage to find Proton-GE-Custom in Chaotic-AUR at all, just in AUR for now.

Hmm, that is weird. I do still have the prior version from there... but you are right, I don't see it in the Chaotic-AUR repo at the moment https://pkgs.org/search/?q=Proton
It might have had issues building or something? I just have noticed this post Proton-ge not updating (possible dep issues)

1 Like

And I just tried to install Bauh and It says: "target not found: snapd"...

I dont know what is happening

I ran into something similar. When you open a terminal and update AUR via 'Yay -Syu' (the method the Arch wiki recommends to update AUR) it said I had updates, which none of the other methods had, including Garuda-update, or Bauh. So then I looked closer at the exact packages it wanted me to update and notice it was trying switch a few packages that were either from the Arch repos or Garuda-Aur repos to those in AUR. Not sure why it chose those few (I think 5) packages to switch, but I stopped updating AUR this way.

I just use Bauh which seems to work for all; Arch/Aur/Flatpack, etc. , and if there are major system updates, I will then use Garuda-update instead. It is all very strange.

Edit to add: I do know why it wanted me to switch those packages, because those 5 packages were more updated in AUR than they were in Arch/Garuda-Aur. To me, that is kind of dangerous switching packages to AUR.

1 Like

How are you trying to install it?
Try via terminal with
sudo pacman -S bauh
Its even in the Chaotic-AUR so things should go smoothly.

(By the way, if it ever asks about adding snapd / Snap package support, I would suggest to not use them. Arch based systems tend to not like Snaps that much)

2 Likes

We're having issues building that at the moment, but it will be back!

2 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more!

1 Like

Ok the installation succeeded this time

Can I add Chaotic-AUR to Bauh?

EDIT: OK, I just found that is already included!!!

1 Like

It should already be active by default as long as you have the chaotic-aur repos added to your system.

3 Likes

Probably not unless you really need something thatā€™s not back in Chaotic-AUR yet. If you do, it should probably be after running garuda-update so any fixes can be applied, and you get a fresh mirrorlist. If you donā€™t see something from garuda-update itā€™s almost definitely got some reason behind it.

We are trying to get a lot of missing packages built still. Feel free to post new issues here for anything that doesnā€™t exist at the moment. Do check for existing ones that weā€™re currently tracking :slight_smile:

Exactly.

3 Likes

https://github.com/chaotic-aur/packages/issues/2086

3 Likes

I didnā€™t know you could add updating AUR via Garuda-Update, thanks. Question though, will I run into the same issue that if a package in AUR is more up to day, it will try and replace it with the same package I have installed from Arch/Chaotic-AUR?

1 Like

I havenā€™t ran into that issue so Iā€™m not completely sure, but given the wording ā€œUpdate AUR packages via paru/yay after system update.ā€ I assume it does it for packages that were installed via the AUR exclusively.

1 Like

I just tested it and those 5 packages I got by updating AUR via yay -Syu did not show up when I added updating AUR to garuda-update, so I think it is good.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

SO, If i just use garuda-update without ā€˜-aā€™, Iā€™m good to go and thats probably all I need when Iā€™m using this distro?

1 Like

And one more thing,

If proton-GE-custom will be in Chaotic-AUR at anytime in the future, will "garuda-update" replace AUR package with the same one from Chaotic-AUR?

1 Like

Generally yes. If you have something installed from the AUR that isnā€™t available from Chaotic, consider requesting it via GitHub, or use -a and rely on building it yourself.

Not right away because Chaotic would provide the same package version that you have locally, but the next version would replace it.

EDIT: You can do pacman -Qm in the future to make sure that there are no packages youā€™re building yourself needlessly.

4 Likes

Thanks, a lot!!!

1 Like