Pamac wants to update Proton-Ge-Custom

wine-ge-custom-1:GE.Proton7.34-1 is done compiling!

3 Likes

Was offered this yesterday and after building for what seemed like for ever it crashed the terminal and then the system. Luckily even though there were almost 800 megs in updates on reboot the system wasn’t messed up and the couple of updates that didn’t get done before the crash were done without issue. I then removed proton-ge-custom.

My two cents. Launch pamac, update the databases, check to see what updates you have, launch terminal and use garuda-update.

1 Like

ok, this is the second time. yesterday (Nov 7) when garuda-update was run it updated/rebuilt proton-ge-custom, and again this morning it is building it again. yesterday i installed/built the dependencies needed via pamac(gui) and didn't have any further issues playing steamgames last night.

Adding my two cents ...again. I was always skeptical of using Proton-GE-Custom. I mean I get the convenience of having an automated update to Proton GE, but at the same time it is kind of risky especially if you have a game installed/built-around a certain proton ge version. There is no guarantee the next version will be compatible...and this auto method forces the game to be updated with the latest Proton GE version.

It is the reason I update all my proton version manually via ProtonUp-QT app, which allows you to leave the old version installed and install the latest.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.