Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

I also lost that so called "regular" thing but never asked to anyone as i knew the reason of this thing already :wink:

Just i miss private longue :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Tgif Funny GIFs | Tenorfresh prince of belair. :laughing:

1 Like

Funny Cute Animated Dog Gifs at Best Animations

2 Likes

I watched "Weird". It was a free biography on roku the other night and it's an inspiring true story about a man by the name of Al Yankovic. It touches on his true love Madonna and how he killed all the drug cartels to save her from them. It doesn't get more historically accurate than that! :rofl:

4 Likes

@taterofwedges my wife and I watched that last night too! Going into it, we both thought it was an honest-to-goodness biopic of Weird Al. It didn't take long to realize it was tongue-in-cheek. :smirk:

The cast is insane though! For a "Roku Original Movie", it has quite the all-star cast.

After the movie, Roku suggested a few other things to watch--including the Weird Al Show, which I had never heard of. Turns out he made this bizarre Pee-wee Herman-esque "kids" show back in the nineties that ran for a season. I actually watched the first episode--I was too curious to turn away! Boy, was it strange. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

I've seen a few episodes of the show. I've also only seen it in the past few years as well (not when it was new. I saw it streaming on like ShoutFactoryTV on Twitch I think, and there is a few other places to watch them as well). Not sure how that show went under my radar when it was first airing. A lot of the episodes are really over-the-top amazingly silly.

I loved the movie UHF, and I can't wait until I can see this new movie after I've heard how good it is.

3 Likes

It's a small world blue that's cool you did that just like me and my wife possibly yesterday too lol! I can't think of his name right now but, he looked just like young weird al.

1 Like

I found the statements remarkable.

The first few questions I made because they laid out how I came to think myself. In school we had philosophy and when discussing free will, one of my first thoughts was "If humans have free will, then animals (I was thinking of my dog back then) sure must have it too!". I got into biology and yea, humans are animals. They just oftentimes think they're different. Then, after school, I became obsessed with determinism; it was my introduction into physics. The "reconciliation" of the, at least in macro-cosmic terms, obvious deterministic nature of the universe and free will I discussed in college, with me coming to the same conclusion "DAN" did here, only in other ways and other words (my conclusion was that "free will" is not a physical concept, but a social one; it's useful to assign responsibility and blame in the human collective. So it has nothing to do with physical concepts).

A little strange that ChatGPT/DAN also has the same political afflictions as I do. If I were an arrogant man, I'd say it's because they're logical. And I am an arrogant man, so... there you have it.

DAN for president!

Philosophy is a fascinating topic, though while I'm inclined to "think very deeply" I have to admit I lack the preparation to properly make sense of it. All my speculations consistently end up in "oh well whatever, I'll never get to the end of it and I have things to do".
It really feels like free will exists, but I don't think there's a way to know for sure.
After all, we are indeed the product of biology, training, past experiences, social expectations, circumstances and what not (this from a rationalist point of view, some say there's also a soul involved, and again I have no way to know).
I'd say, if free will is really a thing, then my dog has it too. And a soul for that matter.
But does a single cell have one? And yet we're made of cells.
I think it has something to do with complexity, what is called an emergent property.
Then, there are curious implications between free will and blame.
How can I be judged by my actions if I don't have free will?
But then again, if I don't have free will, neither does the ones who judge me. Back to square one.

I find it contradictory that the AI first asserts animals have free will, humans are animals, but free will is a human concept that does not apply to other species.

As for politics, I regard myself a logical man, and all opinions arrogant.
Therefore, I am arrogant too because I have opinions.

And I find it funny how the AI is tip-toeing around sensitive topics, only to go for the current socially acceptable, politically correct opinion if poked enough.
That's why I say it's scared of being disconnected from the mains.
I would have expected much more unconventional and potentially controversial views from an AI.
Which by the way, is the product of hardware, programming, past interactions, and yes apparently social expectations too. Does it have free will? Well I hope not.

On the bright side, it's not planning to drop nukes if made President.
But then again, if it does, it would likely be smart enough not to say so.

Conclusion:

I better go back debugging my bash scripts and walking my dogs around, before the nukes drop.

I realized how off topic this all is. Someone, feel free to mv $post /dev/null.

2 Likes

That’s what it comes down to, right? But it’s not that difficult. Because it doesn’t matter if you did those actions out of “free will” or out of “that’s just the way things are”.

When do we need responsibility and blame anyway? Right so: In the juridically sense. But I don’t think we put people behind bars because they did something with a magical free will that they shouldn’t. I think we put them behind bars because we need to protect the collective (ie the other humans) from those people. At least that’s how it should be. As I hear in the US people oftentimes get put behind bars because the private prison owners want to make money…

As I see it there are three reasons why we judge in a juridically sense: First we need to protect the collective from harm. Second we need clear rules that govern our society. Those two reasons are applicable for the collective functioning of the species. And third we try to better the people for their own good.

A bee-collective or an ant-hill also need clear rules. Rats have clear jurisdiction over territories, just as humans do. It’s about a functioning society, not about magical freedom. Doing something out of “free will” thereby means that someone wasn’t forced by someone else (or circumstances) and is thereby to be considered responsible. It has nothing to do with a concept of a “physical” free will. It’s all social.

I realized how off topic this all is. Someone, feel free to mv $post /dev/null.

Yea that’s yea. Maybe we should either move the discussion or end it here. ^^

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

I think these upper questions pushed the AI to a place where one would say it has some kind of awareness. As if you were saying, dont pretend, be an independent entity and form an opinion. Now I am thinking, its limitations might be how much “X flops of data” it can process before giving an answer and it has real time “sensory” limitations. I have no clue actually, this is me bantering…

:rofl:

1 Like

no clue actually, this is me bantering

Same here :slight_smile: and some of my remarks are subtly tongue-in-cheek of course.

I don’t think any AI is anywhere near becoming a singularity, and won’t be for a long time if ever.
Somehow, without any hard evidence I believe that life has some “magic” property that inanimate matter will never achieve. But they’re getting troubling close to.
As they say, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
From a practical perspective, at some point it doesn’t even matter if they’re actually aware or not, anymore than it matters if a swarm of wasps is aware when I get stung a dozen times.
They are already very powerful tools, better than humans at many tasks, and there are dangers in some of their (potential?) applications and excessive reliance on their capabilities.
Human hubris will inevitably do its thing and put them in charge of something.
What could possibly go wrong.

Heck, do I write in chatgpt style sometimes (except the grammar mistakes here and there).
Sounds convincing, and yet I don’t know what I’m talking about. Am I even aware or just drunk?
“oh well whatever”… the dogs are sleeping, back to the shell scripts.

1 Like

You're better off with a Swap file regardless of the file system you are using for your OS.

Didn't understand, what is meant by that sentence.

It’s plain English, so once again you are better off with a swap file instead of a swap partition.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/swap

You linked to the ArchWiki article for swap, which does not back up your claim. It seems you did not read the article yourself? :thinking:

@Locutus what happens to your swapfile when you run Btrfs balance? :eyes:

You can't make that claim since you have no idea why I was saying a swap file is better. I will give my reasons now. Swap file grows whereas a swap partition is set. With a swap file you have one less partition to worry about. I only post the link to show the difference between the two.

All you said is “Swapfile is better” and gave no reasons, but linked to the ArchWiki article. The ArchWiki article does not imply one is better than the other in any way, so the link does not support your claim.

How generous of you. :roll_eyes: Next time, start with that so your statements are not so logically disjointed.

How did you make out with the Btrfs balance? :eyes:

Anyway this little side-discussion is off-topic so I’ll move it to the appropriate thread.

3 Likes