Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

Well how is it so far? I’ve always found fedora interesting but never really used it as Garuda has things no other distro has. Although I do like the idea of how stable fedora can be while not having ancient packages. Have you looked into ultramarine Linux btw? It’s based off Fedora with some good defaults and more desktops and themes etc

I won’t argue that one to much as I seriously doubt that. . . . BUT, so far Fedora is good. It was really nice to have printing and such just working in a very simple fashion. I had to mask a couple startup things because it was a little slow. But, it’s been very simple. Setup was about 10 min or so, and otherwise it’s just been dnf update, and install things as I go. Everything so far has just worked, I’m interested to see what/how hard it is when something doesn’t end up working.

I got about 3k bookmarks (which my RAM cant handle) :rofl:

1 Like

Fedora is pretty stable but so lacking in essential things for my use, Nvidia can be hit and miss.
Printin let me down for the 1st time in a few years in this release,

I do find the latest Endeavourer release very snazzy so i now retract my comment of a year ago about just being a wallpaper .
You just nailed it flatpack kills it for me

I will never have Nvidia issues, but what else is it missing? So far everything I've looked for is in repos or flatpak.

Even steam and games work fine with my Xbox controller.

Completely random, but has anyone considered an Awesomewm spin? I don’t know how to make it but would be nice tbh if someone was planning on it haha

The problem with awesome is lua. It's just kind of obscure. I3 is very understandable. Qtile is written in python and there's tons of folks who know python. It's just not nearly as commonly used as the others, so unless you have folks who like it/use it, awesome gets kind of lost in other wm's.

1 Like

Just passing by to say hello.
I came back last yesterday after a while and, behold, 775 packages updated without trouble.
Though I guess I'll reinstall anyway just to make sure everything is how it's supposed to be.
And, well, sorry for the half-assed merge request I abandoned back then.

1 Like

Awesome is a great WM takes a bit to get your head around it mind you as the program language is different bit like JWM

Imagine there would be a program called patcher in AUR that tells which package is going to break the system and correct it in some versions, code and help to recompile the broken stuffs after Arch updates. If this is done then newbies surely can migrate to Arch linux without any hassels.

1 Like

Apperrently some still believe in magic crystal balls. :mage: :crystal_ball:

Telling the future is not very reliable. In Canada our weather service has been completely wrong 2 out of the last 3 days. They can't even get their predictions right 6 hours in advance.

How can you possibly expect a program is supposed to predict the possibility of a breakage when there are millions of permutations of hardware and software combinations in existence. This sounds like a job for the good old "Magic 8 Ball". :8ball:

Maybe it can predict this week's big lottery winners for me too?

5 Likes

My weather report is always correct, the secret is to look out the window and that's what you are going to get for the next 30 seconds. Sorry your weather services suck. :rofl:

6 Likes

Something like this could work if it has hardcoded breakage patterns, for example on each Python minor version upgrade ie. 3.10 -> 3.11, all AUR packages depending on Python need to be rebuilt.
Newbies moving to Arch Linux itself (not derivatives like Garuda) is obligatory to have hassles. Garuda Linux dodges AUR and AUR helper problems via Chaotic AUR.

1 Like

You expect of 6 hours advance prediction should be correct ?

My area’s wheather predictions are like
"It’s raining outside but wheather service sofware says it’s currently sunny day " :joy:

Humans make things for themselves and start trusting on it more than his ownself :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Actually if you know your location you can make good weather forecasts up to 5 hrs by looking out of the window. :+1:t3:

1 Like

Guess I need to clean my windows. :thinking:

3 Likes

When I look out the window it isn't the weather that concerns me. I need to see if they've tracked me down (again).

8 Likes

Just curious but I realised I’m not a regular anymore. Does regular status disappear if you don’t post enough? Not sure how that badge works tbh as I used to be one not long ago

It does appear the status is lost if you do not remain active in the forum, although how much you post seems to be less of a factor than how much you read.

From this post: Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

Trust Level 3 – Regular

Regulars are the backbone of your community, the most active readers and reliable contributors over a period of months, even years. Because they’re always around, they can be further trusted to help tidy up and organize the community.

To get to trust level 3, in the last 100 days…

• Must have visited at least 50% of days

• Must have replied to at least 10 different non-PM topics

• Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)

• Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)

• Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*

• Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)

• Must not have been suspended or silenced in the last 6 months

• These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.

All of the above criteria must be true to achieve trust level 3. Furthermore, unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status. If you dip below these requirements in the last 100 days, you will be demoted back to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

5 Likes

Personally, I’d chalk it up to your close set beady eyes giving you a very untrustworthy appearance. :crazy_face:

6 Likes