Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

~june 2021

Just curious but how often should I be updating a rolling release distribution like this? I don't use my laptop that often so​:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Once a week but I have gone more than 8 weeks easily.

3 Likes

Damn once a week? That's more than I thought haha. I should probably grab my laptop in that case

2 Likes
System install date:     2021-07-17
  Total system updates:    904
  --> Updates per week:    17

:wink:

6 Likes

When I run straight-Arch, I update daily but not before checking Arch Linux - News. That’s with my daily use desktop machine. I do have an older laptop that I recently brought forward after a year without updating and it wasn’t any real problem. Again, straight Arch.

Highly opinionated Arch-based distributions such as Garuda are different. In order for the Garuda developers to “update” Garuda as such, it not only incorporates the normal Arch updates, but they are updated in consistency with Garuda’s branding–it’s look, feel, and operation. That’s what keeps Garuda, Garuda, and so it doesn’t revert to straight, bland, vanilla Arch upon updating. (like Debian-based #! could revert to vanilla Xfce).

As we know, what makes up “Arch” are just a great number of packages leading nowhere by themselves unless someone–you as an individual, or a developer does something with them. That is what Garuda’s developers do.

See here: Garuda Linux 🦅 · GitLab

So–when I run something like Garuda–I typically wait a few days…check the forum…see what the devs are doing. You know, that sort of stuff. :wink:

3 Likes

I also think your degree of proficiency with Arch enters into the equation when it comes to updating frequency. The more competent and familiar you are with Arch the longer you can get away with going between updates. If you update on a daily basis and there is a problem with a package, the candidates of problematic packages is far smaller, and therefore easier to identify and fix. Also, the longer you go between updates the more package conflicts you will inevitably have. An experienced Arch user will likely be able to work their way through a long list of package conflicts much easier than a novice. I think those just starting out on their Arch journey should go no longer than a week between updates, (preferably several or more times per week).

5 Likes

Last but not least, if something breaks, you take the last snapshot and then wait for the fix. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So you are suggesting using snapshots @SGS?

Who'da thunk it?

Snapshots, we don't need no stinking snapshots!!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I haven't needed one for ~ 1.5 years either, but it could be useful for beginners :grin: :grin:

:grin:

2 Likes

So could backups!

2 Likes

The last time i took a snapshot it was called a camera :rofl:

4 Likes

Did the camera flash use the one use flash bulb? I still remember those times. One thing about the old days that I definitely don't miss.

2 Likes

Backups are for wusses and people that plan for disaster. I'm kidding btw. Did a whole module on disaster recovery plans and shit :joy:

Pretty sure I needed one yesterday. Basically whenever I boot the damn laptop I did something stupid

1 Like

Reminds me of Forrest Gump. :wink:

““Stupid is as stupid does.””

So you had just a little happy accident, yes :smiley: ?

2 Likes

Yes... accident because I'm not stupid as you're insinuating :wink:

1 Like

Just thought I'd check in and say hello to everyone I haven't seen in a while.

Cheers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Using fedora now?

On my one computer I wanted to try something a little different for a while. I've had Arch for years now and while I love it, I just wanted to give Fedora a spin for a little change of a pace. And I figured a couple months away from a release coming out, I'd see how their update process is/goes.

2 Likes