Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

While in "off topic" What's the deal with Seinfeld jokes? I mean the user flags? Can we get some provincial/state/territory flags and mix and match? US/CA or TN/SK :wink:

GPUs didnโ€™t exist then, only video/display adapters. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Such a noob!

Lots of things didn't exist back then but all these whipersnapers don't remember or know that. :stuck_out_tongue: Like BEDO RAM...or having to PARK your hard drive...yes kids you used to have to PARK your hard drives!

I never could get any of the fun toys back then. Every was buying Voodoo's and I was stuck with some crappy Hercules monochrome adapter chit heh...BUT I HAD THREE OF THEM!

Type faster Crispy ;p

Huh. โ€œBurstโ€ EDO is a new one on me. I remember EDO from the SIMM days. I wonder, was BEDO only with DRAM and therefore it ended up just โ€œDRAMโ€ to me cos so much had changed, the minutiae got lost :thinking:
In fact, I think I still have SDRAM โ€ฆ nvm, I sent that stuff to recycling a couple years ago, figured it was just too old to have more use as a product than raw materials.

I was researching too. And you missed the โ€œHโ€ TYVM rude person.

That's why I said no one knows/remembers. B-EDO was basically a failed technology. I had one machine that used it...4MB worth :slight_smile:

Honestly dude I've forgot so much. I do however remember some rough times. Getting hardware without manuals and you had no clue what your jumper settings should be. Some times you'd have to manually change addresses in the drives...modems were the worst!

Heh I don't have much anymore. I gave it all away or threw it out maybe 15 years ago. Just can't afford to be a museum. Oldest stuff I have now is maybe a few AGP GPU's and some old maybe P3 or P4 machines. I used to have a collection of what would be considered odd CPU's. VIA/Cirix stuff. Nothing crazy like Alphas, Sparc or Iantiums.

DIP switches, god damn DIP switches (though they were better than the tight blocks of jumpers for cache speeds, latencies and densities).

Speaking of old stuff the one thing I had always wanted and never even got to see in person was a legit Dual PPC CPU BeBox...man I wanted one so bad!

1 Like

IRQs, DMAs.

1 Like

You mean eye bleeding hell? Slave and master drives, SCSI Termination...ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

1 Like

I had one of those "unsanctioned" Abit boards, Dual Celerons. I remember soldering a custom VTT to it...those were the days...of something.

1 Like

The satisfaction (or annoyance) of hearing the relay switch on the 3D accelerator card, letting you know the glorious graphics were about to happen (which look like the waste products of garbage today).

Though I must say, the DOOM chaingun was "glorious" (read hideous) on PC speaker audio

Heh the generic garbo white boxes that were called speakers back then. I say that and remember most were that puke yellow from sun bleaching heh.

Playing Tomb Raider on an Orchid Righteous 3D card. Both firsts.

1 Like

Decent here :slight_smile:

No, literal "PC Speaker" that still exists today (the 4 pin header on mobo speaker).

I LOVE Piezo speakers! I use them all the time. One of my pet peeves is they are always blacklisted by modprobe. I un blacklist and install BEEP immediately! I have them play special sequences on my servers for specific things in case my speakers are turned off. On my one messaging machine I use them for new messages, same thing, don't have to have audio on/up or if I do I don't have to worry about new messages blasting me if my audio is cranked. That classic beep boop cuts through just fine.

2 Likes

Sniff, sniff, now I'm all teary eyed with you guys rolling down memory lane, waxing all nostalgic and all. :sob:

Can't forget the gawd awful sound the modem made, and the fun of getting bounced from the internet when a call came in on dial up.

5 Likes

Man playing Scortched Earth in DOS with a nice loud Piezo :wink: DROP DA FUNKY BOMB!

And all those free AOL coasters/frisbees! :slight_smile: or having to unhook your machine from the phone line if there was an electrical storm heh.

2 Likes

"You've got mail"

1 Like