Linux & Tech news 📰

Exactly my opinion and very good examples. So now everyone who transports data (Telekom, Vodafone) goes to jail because of the video/music industry, on the grounds that there are pirates everywhere.
Or the net comes to a standstill because they first check whether the content is legal, finally there is no more data protection, like in dictatorships :slight_smile: Win, win :wink:

5 Likes

Only the English language is supported currently. Other languages may produce gibberish or a bad phonetic translation.

Features:

Simple interface
Caption desktop/mic audio locally, audio is never sent anywhere
Does not rely on any proprietary services/libraries
Adjust font, font size, and text casing
Optional token-level confidence text fading

Running this requires a somewhat-decent CPU that can perform realtime captioning, especially if you want to be doing other tasks (such as video decode) while running Live Captions. It has been tested working on:

Intel i7-2670QM (2011)
Intel i5-8265U (2018)
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (2017)
Steam Deck

This looks really useful!

:bangbang:

3 Likes

I used Flatpak one time in my life, when installing Warpinator on a Debian-installation.

Why is it pre-installed by archinstall? Strange choice.

Apparently it is the new hottie on the block. Developers love it and I guess it is going to offer a platform for them to sell their apps. :man_shrugging:

There was an W11 security and 3d part leak post week ago (Is W11 Spyware?). Has anyone tested the claim? aka "sending data to mcafee ".

This YT guy almost convinced me this is true. I did not get such results with my W11.. However I did install O&O Shutup.

Anyway.. Its good to test yourself before running to conclusions.

On my Wireshark there were DNS connections being run by "Application".. Then I turned on Discord app and this was 3x that. Makes sense.

MS W11 runs telemetry for realtime bug detection. If someone were to analysis this I'd expect more detailed and open covering of the subject matter.

I use rEFInd for booting Arch and the zen kernel. Let's see what happens after an update.
EDIT: No problems after reboot.

The headline is misleading. The referenced change was specific to Grub. rEFInd, systemd-boot, and other bootloaders should not be affected.

To be clear, it appears dual-booting with Grub is still perfectly fine as long as you are using the Grub packaged by Arch. If you are using a non-Arch Grub to boot to an Arch install there is a problem.

3 Likes

I thought it was worth a mention - I'm glad it's not a problem.

:smile:
Nice to see

10 Likes

Both Linux 6.2.4 and 6.1.17 come with just two commits: reverting two patches applied in 6.2.3 and 6.1.16, respectively. The issue at hand is that two patches were incorrectly back-ported to the stable series from Linux 6.3 and in turn can cause a kernel oops. Simply plugging in an external USB drive, mounting the drive, and then unmounting can cause a kernel oops to occur.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Thanks for all the great updates @RodneyCK, keep'em commin.

However, I am begging to think that you've got too much...

3 Likes

<insert 1980's Styx fan-girl scream here>

:rofl:

2 Likes
3 Likes

OpenMoonRay is available via DreamWorks Animation's GitHub. This professional-grade renderer is available under an Apache 2.0 license.

6 Likes

Microsoft has eliminated its entire team responsible for ensuring the ethical use of AI software at a time when the Windows giant is ramping up its use of machine learning technology.

The decision to ditch the ethics and society team within its artificial intelligence organization is part of the 10,000 job cuts Microsoft announced in January, which will continue rolling through the IT titan into next year.

The hit to this particular unit may remove some guardrails meant to ensure Microsoft's products that integrate machine learning features meet the mega-corp's standards for ethical use of AI.

2 Likes

Surprise surprise, the ethical cake is a lie!

1 Like

Affected devices include those using Samsung S22, M33, M13, M12, A71, A53, A33, A21s, A13, A12 and A04 series of chips; Vivo mobile devices including the S16, S15, S6, X70, X60 and X30 series; the Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 series of devices from Google; and vehicles that use the Exynos Auto T5123 chipset.

Google issued a fix for CVE-2023-24033 affecting Pixel devices in its March security update. Until the other manufacturers plug the holes, Willis suggests turning off Wi-Fi calling and Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) to protect against baseband remote code execution, if you're using a vulnerable device powered by Samsung's silicon.

And, as always, patch your gadgets as soon as the software updates become available.

5 Likes