Linux & Tech news 📰

With Linux 6.3-rc3 it's "fairly big" in terms of the latest changes as a result of more users/developers testing out the code and uncovering issues with all of the new feature code.

Since we're on the subject of updates...

Facepalm: In news that should surprise absolutely nobody, a Windows update is causing major issues for some of those who've downloaded and installed it. Reported problems include massive drops in SSD speeds (more than half), Blue Screens of Death, and apps not working correctly.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Hmm, they really need to work on that "purple"--I'd say that square in the screenshot is for certain a shade of blue.

5 Likes

Will they try to make FOSS illegal?

This video explains the truth about Skillshare and how YouTubers sold out to Skillshare.

5 Likes

Google urges Android phone users to switch off Wi-Fi calling

The devices affected are:

• Samsung Galaxy phones, including those in the S22, M33, M13, M12, A71, A53, A33, A21, A13, A12 and A04 series

• Vivo phones, including those in the S16, S15, S6, X70, X60 and X30 series

• Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, Pixel 6a, Pixel 7 and 7 Pro

• Any wearables that use the Exynos W920 chipset

• Any vehicles that use the Exynos Auto T5123 chipset

5 Likes

@Colin did mention that about four days ago.
I think maybe Samsung might be rolling out updates already for it. I knew somebody with a S22 that had an update pending yesterday (unless it was an older notification).

1 Like

Now that you mention it :smiley: , true.

But my english is so bad, modem and Wi-Fi calling are … :slight_smile:

Double holds better. :wink:

3 Likes

It's an important point - no harm in issuing a reminder :wink:

3 Likes

And....

Open source AI on the way....

Interesting little handy tool...

5 Likes

Well looks like AI is booming too much I am seeing some kind of DuckDuckGo Assistant or AI type something too sometimes when I am searching through it , it basically what is doing is fetching information for me from wikipedia for whatever I search .

But it’s not a chatbot as they say…

2 Likes

Your next cheesecake. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is still early for AI and all of it is glory, and evils as we will soon discover, but I see it as another one of those big milestones, like the iron age and whoever discovered the internet.

The Duck and it's Go aren't quite ChatGPT yet, just setting the stage with answers that sound like you are having a chat with someone. I am sure that will all change once they get the AI to stop going all wonky and turning into an angry spouse as reported re Microsoft's version.

I can't wait to see how our governments, corporations, oligarchs and their puppets like the CIA/FBI and all the other acronym spooks weaponize it against us. The good....with the bad.

2 Likes

That’s also a big problem , data collection and data selling to politicians will become easier now by AI’s as they evolve more and more , and who knows when they will just become as smart that we humans will never be able to understand them , well it is still hard to understand how do they function.

What we can do is just wait and watch :no_mouth: ?

1 Like

I find the propaganda side scary. Now they can have ChatGPT write and produce articles on the web to back up any of their "claims" and make it all look their agenda's are factual and real. It doesn't take much to trick people.

On another angle, I see it replacing a lot of jobs, which they are already ringing the warning bell. Like I said, this is probably going to change the landscape a bit, for better or worse, time will tell. All we can do is wait and see. I think keeping our focus once again on the open source alternatives will be key.

3 Likes

At least it gives lonely people someone(thing?) to chat with. :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

Wait until they put it in a robot, lots of hugs....and well, if it is Microsoft's software, lots of M3GAN antics for sure. :joy:

Run Ai GIF by M3GAN

1 Like

And someone(thing) that will never argue with you ,
I am seeing the future , now your wife will shout at you if you will keep typing and smiling ,
She will ask “again talking with that stupid chatGPT ?”
Are you ready for this @Bro :wink: ?

1 Like

@RodneyCK I predict that soon we'll have ChatGPT combined with spatially augmented virtual reality :joy_cat: cluttering up our desktops. You won't want to ask them anything because they'll only answer questions in that smarmy, smarty pants way cats have.

3 Likes

I’ve already told her that if she goes first I’m gonna have a life sized cardboard cutout of her perched on her couch so I have someone to talk to. I’m not about to add ChatGPT to that so I still get her back talk. I’m not stupid.

EDIT: Although it would be cool to have a human Billy the Bass. :wink:

3 Likes

Just found this, perfect timing…

According to a study by five computer scientists from the University of Maryland, however, the future could already be here. The scientists asked themselves: “Can AI-Generated Text be Reliably Detected?” The answer they landed on is that text generated by LLMs cannot be reliably detected in practical scenarios, both from a theoretical and practical standpoint.

:fearful:

3 Likes