Linux & Tech news 📰

The article says it was published yesterday, but it is way out of date.

Garuda Arch-based Linux distro

Garuda Linux is popular for offering a stable Arch Linux along with a Time Shift backup utility.

Garuda has used Snapper by default for a long time now, maybe a year and a half or so at least.

Just like other open-source Linux distributions listed here, this one also comes with multiple desktop environments, they are- bspwm, Cinnamon, Deepin, GNOME, i3, KDE Plasma, LXQt, MATE, Recbox, UKUI, Wayfire, Xfce.

BSPWM, Deepin, Recbox, UKUI?! :eyes:

If you are a beginner then GUI Software for package management (Pamac) is there to install various open-source software with one click.

Pamac? …:unamused:

To switch between multiple installed GPUs on the Desktop, it has Optimus Manager.

No. Switching between integrated and dedicated graphics | Garuda Linux wiki

Shame on this guy, he probably didn’t even install it.

8 Likes

Yeah, they just want to earn some $$$
No good research from their side

3 Likes

The good old days! LOL. I bet it was copied off some old review, it sounded familiar. Oh well, even bad or outdated press is good press. :rofl:

2 Likes

In fact, we used to have these in the very early days. Especially UKUI and Deepin didn’t survive for long :joy:

Damn, how little effort such an article takes gets blatantly obvious while looking at this one. :trophy:

3 Likes

Ahh, copy and paste from 2021 :grin: :joy:

5 Likes

You are right, check out this time-travelling commenter! :melting_face:

back to the future great scott GIF

11 Likes

Now everything is clear.

2 Likes

BlackLotus, a UEFI bootkit that's sold on hacking forums for about $5,000, can now bypass Secure Boot, making it the first known malware to run on Windows systems even with the firmware security feature enabled.

Secure Boot is supposed to prevent devices from running unauthorized software on Microsoft machines. But by targeting UEFI the BlackLotus malware loads before anything else in the booting process, including the operating system and any security tools that could stop it.

If you were using Windows I’d tell you to use CPU-Z, an incredibly popular system profiling and monitoring app for Microsoft systems. It displays all sorts hardware info, including motherboard, processor, system memory, power, graphics card, and more.

Sadly there is no official CPU-Z Linux app but there is a fantastic open-source alternative called CPU-X. Available to use with a GUI or a CLI, CPU-X delivers the same deluge of hardware data that CPU-Z does, but in a free, open-source, and Linux-friendly package.

2 Likes

I detest secure boot, and this only further confirms to me how useless this Microsoft boondoggle really is. Hopefully this is not simply a corporate ploy to justify making secure boot even more restrictive. I suspect this vulnerability will be used as justification prevent everyone from running anything but Windows on hardware they’ve purchased in the future. Huge lobby money will be spent to leverage the US government to allow this, all in the name of “security” of course.

9 Likes

KDE Gear 22.12.3 is here to improve various of the included KDE apps for a better, more stable, and reliable experience. For example, it improves the Ark archive manager to properly check if there is sufficient free space available before extracting archives.

The Kdenlive video editor received some fixes as well, such as a fix for a crash and offset when moving a group that includes a subtitle, a subtitle scrolling issue, the ability to scroll the timeline when moving a subtitle, a subtitle overlap issue on import, as well as a subtitle snapping issue.

GoogleAnalytics cannot be used in accordance with data protection regulations.

At the request of noyb, the Norwegian Data Protection Authority has investigated Google Analytics, with the result that the use of the tool violates the transmission requirements of the *DSGVO.

*Datenschutz-Grundverordnung = The General Data Protection Regulation is a regulation of the European Union.

Edit

Digital Services Act: Commission sets rules on supervisory fees for very large online platforms and very large online search engines

8 Likes

People from GNOME Foundation, KDE Foundation and Debian Linux propose a dedicated, universal Flatpak “App Store.”

"Behind this idea are several Linux desktop leaders, such as GNOME president Robert McQueen; former GNOME executive director and Debian project leader Neil McGovern; and KDE president Aleix Pol.

7 Likes

They are showing Canonical the middle finger basically? :joy: Hopefully snapd dies soon!

10 Likes

I think this reviewer got it right...

6 Likes

"Garuda Linux which primarily targets users who want an Arch distro for gaming."

This line. I've seen it parroted around the 'net in various "reviews" like the one above. Methinks the reviewers make use of a lot of copy/paste from other "reviews."

6 Likes

It is probably for click-baiting, etc. I mean, if you are going to review distros, they should really put more of an effort than one paragraph or so, else it is just for clicks, imo. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

What now?: Well, currently, we hope someone forks these projects and takes over the reins while actively being able to maintain them.

Until then, you can try the following alternatives:

Linux 6.3 is going to be a big kernel with changes such as faster direct I/O for EXT4, sensor monitoring for more newer ASUS motherboards, the AMD-Xilinx XDMA driver has finally been merged, some AMD Zen 4 performance optimizations via Automatic IBRS, proper 8BitDo Pro 2 wired controller support, the Intel TPMI driver was merged, various other Intel updates like to TDX and CXL along with LKGS instruction support, introducing of the Ath12k wireless driver, HID-BPF, IPv4 BIG TCP support, Btrfs performance optimizations, removal of Intel ICC compiler support, and much more.

This merge request had been open and in the works for ten months while was finally merged on Saturday evening. This joins other last-minute GNOME 44 work like Mutter experimental HDR modes and dropping the last GTK3 dependencies in Mutter and the GNOME Shell.

4 Likes

A court affirms the liability of a DNS operator for copyright infringements. This is a clear warning for operators of digital business models.

The US image agency Getty Images has even gone one step further and sued the operators of the AI image generator Stable Diffusion for copyright infringement.

1 Like

they should rather target the tech giants like Google instead of an actually useful service hosted for free by a foundation located in the EU

4 Likes

I'm not sure about "one step further" though.
I'm not a lawyer, but training AI's on other people's work without permission may indeed constitute copyright infringement when said work is then regurgitated by the AI without attribution, whereas targeting a DNS operator for providing name resolution is akin to blaming a phone company for allowing a drug dealer to receive phone calls, or blaming a bus driver if a criminal boards the bus.
At least, from my own (admittedly very opinionated) point of view.
I think laws are very confused and inconsistent about these matters (and many others).

5 Likes