Linux & Tech news šŸ“°

Ubuntu Embeds Ads Deeper into the OS

Also reported on here...

5 Likes

It appears that at some point in the (near) future, Windows and Ubuntu will be indistinguishable from each other. Talk about a weird, unhealthy congruence...

5 Likes

Totally agree, and with a heavy helping of Snaps (WTF?) sprinkled on top.

2 Likes

It was weird enough having Flatpak installed & enabled during a standard Archinstall routine a few days ago. It may not be Snapd, but itā€™s a (more-benign) cousin. :frowning:

2 Likes

Really it is now something way more restricted than what i left some years ago
Then i realise i quited ubuntu just in one day after use and started usning mint :grin:

Isn't canonical getting deviated from FOSS definition ?

3 Likes

Yes, and it seems like no one is connecting those dots in the linux world. I get it that Flatpaks are a little bit better than Snap packages (bloatware,) but they are kissing cousins. Now there is a big push to make an all-in-one appstore from both Gnome/KDE camps. :man_shrugging:

First time i appreceated it but now i donā€™t like because of many problems like it does not integrates properly with system
And one thing more i realised i have everything already in main packages provided by default in the system

In short they can be useful but mostly all work is done without any universal package

1 Like

I don't mind an all-in-one appstore, but they are pushing snapd/flatpaks as the main drivers. I read it as more of a PR push to accept the two...and then I ask, WHY?

Most of the apps are in AUR anyway and those that are built specifically for snap/flatpak should be avoided, imo. (enter disgruntled face emoji here)

3 Likes

Isnā€™t Aur already a unversal package manager :grin:

All in one app stores may be good but they are mostly slow to work and using it sometimes made me feel more chaos on my system, sometimes it is hard to understand what is happening in it.

2 Likes

There are very few FOSS distributions, given the number of restricted/closed/proprietary source software (i.e. nVidia drivers) needed nowadays. Free and open-source software - Wikipedia

Yeah, you get both Discover & Flatpak in the Archinstall + Plasma routine, although the python script is easily user-modifiable. I guess I could always do that, but then what would I gripe about? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

LOL, true in the Arch world.

Yeah, I was never a big fan of ā€œapp stores.ā€ Many of them mask what is being installed, dependencies, etc. That can cause some issues. In theory they sound nifty, in play, No!

4 Likes

Universal package managers are not pushed in favor of the users, but in favor of the developers and packagers.
For someone to easily understand the issue, should sit in their chairs.

We are talking about Open Source programs, free of charge.
Once a developer has finished a program, there is a long road to land in a userā€™s desktop/system easily. Unless using Gentoo, or LFSā€¦ :wink: where compiling always happens locally.
Major DEs (Gnome, KDE) are targeting more than one distribution.
BTW, the name explains already: Distribute software
Every distro has to compile/pack up every program/utility/library etc., each time there is something new.

Nobody gets paid for their labor, so showing respect is the least we can offer.
It is also ethical to provide an easy way of taking donations, or even sell extra features.

Open Source developers are not stupid fanatic persons, that work for free and give it away. They are just Open Source believers. Are you, as well?

2 Likes

Yes, yes, easy for developers. I think that is a no brain-er, but as I pointed out above, easy click app stores often masks dependencies and dependency issues/conflicts for the user, snaps/flatpacks asideā€¦until it is installed and too late.

Open Source developers are not stupid fanatic persons, that work for free and give it away. They are just Open Source believers. Are you, as well?

Who is calling you stupid fanatics, and who are you to question my, or anyone elseā€™s, belief in open source? Sounds like you are grandstanding to me.

I donā€™t know why you all are getting so angry.

As mentioned in this article, you can get rid of the notice by getting a free Ubuntu Pro account.
The ad is about 10 years of extended security support for packages (not something we even care about, and itā€™s free for up to 5 machines). You canā€™t compare it with a higher-tier paid product promotion.

It is just a terminal message that appears in the middle of an apt transaction output, nothing intrusive.
I donā€™t think it changes the user experience in any way.

You can check out nala(GitHub - volitank/nala: a wrapper for the apt package manager.) if it bothers you that much.

Something intrusive would be Windows bing ads in the ā€˜searchā€™, ads in the ā€˜application listā€™, Windows pro promotions or even Spotify adsā€¦

Windows is 100x worse(god knows how many spyware and trackers are there) than the worst Linux distribution.

Regarding snaps now,
If you look at it, imposing snaps on more users is actually good. It motivates Canonical to make it better and more competent with flatpaks; otherwise, more people will be disappointed (We all know that Ubuntu has a vast community). Itā€™s not that we canā€™t install flatpak on Ubuntu.
I believe a competition for flatpak is always good.
The open-source world is like ā€˜natural evolutionā€™ or even like a ā€˜democracyā€™; the software that the people use more lives on in the long run.

What I want to say is, let us all be more optimistic.

@c00ter I am just continuing the conversation from where you left off, this was not a message for you in particular :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well i think we can keep debating on it, on and on but there will not be a perfect conclusion the best thing will be to just wait and see what will be the result in future after few years .

I think i have not used windows for a long time, that i have just forgot about that there exist this kind of shit tooā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s cool. :slight_smile:

So Ubuntuā€™s intrusive ads are not quite as bad as Windowsā€™, you say?
[rhetorical]
Q: So which would you preferā€“one kick in the balls or ten?
A: Neither. I run Arch.
:rofl:

9 Likes

From what Iā€™ve seen, nix has a few useful packages that the AUR is still missing. Iā€™d rather use that instead of flatpak.

3 Likes

Hear, hear. Let's stop pretending like it makes sense to use containerization for linux packages.

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Timeshift, Deepin, they test very hard the lastest Garuda version :grin:

8 Likes