Linux & Tech news šŸ“°

Garuda is meant to run on powerful x86_64 PCs not weak phones, also Garuda has no effort for supporting ARM. (the CPU architechture phones use)

7 Likes

Linux on phones it has lot of milestone starting with Ubuntu touch, Mobian ... Archlinux arm, Plasma mobile ending in Gentoo arm versions.

Well I think downloading plasma mobile, or mobian then convert to Garuda linux like theme.

For now it's better to stick with rooted Android roms which also provide kernel support like linux. The problem with linux is manufacturer won't provide the drivers to the hardware and the phones run very slow.

3 Likes

The Pinephone Pro seems feasible in the future. It is not as slow as the original Pinephone and runs pure Linux. But software needs a lot of time for ironing.

2 Likes

Now gotta figure out how to update to this. KDE-Unstable repo is empty and installing plasma-git seems to update to 5.24.80 without the features foumd in Plasma 5.25 :thinking:

3 Likes

5.24.80 is 5.25 !

chaoticā€™s kde-git has been tracking 5.25 ever since 5.24 got released :slight_smile:

PS: feel free to update, apart from one or two weird issue ( bugs reported and confirmed ), seems pretty good.

6 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

I have always hated DDG search results, but now there is a real reason to hate them.

ā€œDuckDuckGo has a search deal with Microsoft, which prevents them from blocking MS trackers. And they canā€™t talk about it! This is why privacy products that are beholden to giant corporations can never deliver true privacy; the business model just doesnā€™t work.ā€

12 Likes

nice catch ā€¦

I have been on searX for a long time, but seems duckduckgo is getting bad news

4 Likes

DDG search is fine, just their DDG web browser is having a little bit of an issue trying to get M$ not to be jerks about privacy with ads. Just like with anything, big players on the web ruin things...

(DDG CEO/Founder had a lot to say about the current news on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/duckduckgo/comments/uwz5bb/my_two_cents_on_ddg_and_microsoft_news/
Seems the news site didn't even try to reach out to DDG before making the article btw; that doesn't sound too professional.)

1 Like

From the link you provided, good concerns.

I get it, they had a contract, they canā€™t break that, their hands were tied. But it still bugs me,
I can understand the need for Bing results, I do, I get it, but to sign a contract, that requires such secrecy baffles me.

The lack of transparency is what bugs me the most, and It makes me not trust them anymore, and I get that they didnā€™t have a choice once they signed on the dotted line. Butā€¦ why? Why sign it, then?

1 Like

That's the current state of the WWW for you. All the big players have all the data.. and if you want to search or access it... well you know who holds the keys. If you click on a M$ ad... or any ad for that matter, it most likely won't be private. Modern web is so full of XSS and 3rd party cookies... (If you run an addon like uMatrix you will see how stupid things get, more than half of the connections going on aren't needed at all on some pages). Even some less scrupulous VPNs don't really do much in some aspects of privacy.

About all that could reign in these big companies ruining privacy are laws and litigation... but we've seen how cookies have been still even with some European laws in place.

1 Like

Iā€™m using Noscript and itā€™s scary how much scripts of actually unrelated domains lot of websites try to execute :sweat_smile: Feeling much better by just having them blacklisted.

8 Likes

Just use Control Trackers on smartphone, it's amazing what banking apps and other security-requiring programs try to use to send data to Amazon, Google, and Facebook.
With TC, my bank app takes 8 seconds to open, and without it, it opens right away.

Therefore, it is also clear why these great security-conscious only run on non-rooted phones.
TC also works without root :slight_smile:

5 Likes

36 posts were split to a new topic: Phones and custom ROMs

Break the monoculture.

Use firefox.

12 Likes

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/is-lamda-sentient-an-interview-ea64d916d917
It kind of fascinates me. :grinning:

4 Likes

KDE Plasma 5.25 Release Trailer

I am excited about this one. Not only about the features shown in the trailer, but supposedly they have finally fixed the rounded windows and the dreaded white tab corner issue that has plagued KDE for years.
Correction: it is dropping today. More info...

14 Likes

...not really.

We can't even proof consciousness on humans (if you go down in the very details we still just assume) but hey, an AI is sentient?!
Emulated sentience isn't sentient as well. This goes to a long hard and not yet solved philosophical rebuttal. One of the first modern philosophers was Steiner who dealt with the issue of Perception in its core.

Worst case: Ai still "life-less" but dangerous
Best case: Gets debunked and seen as known, just a bunch of big data and neural algorithms...

Sorry for the "not so positive" take here, but I'm into philosophy over a decade ^^

3 Likes

Wow, this reminded me of the Our Lady Peace album from 2000, "Spiritual Machines":

"The year is 2029. The machines will convince us that they are conscious, that they have their own agenda worthy of our respect. They'll embody human qualities and claim to be human. And we'll believe them."

:flushed:

2 Likes

It is still currently in testing though. Once it makes its way to stable It is now in stable!! if I can make use of the floating panels (new in 5.25) the way I want I will ditch Latte immediately.

1 Like