Linux & Tech news 📰

I have faith the obnoxious language part was the N-word.

I don't get the nvidia hype:

I mean, its a good step and its good, no doubt about it, but changes... almost nothing!

It does NOT open source the user land code, no opengl/vulkan/etc ... so still, either install "proprietary drivers, using their proprietary solutions" or no hardware acceleration.

Both intel and amd have the user land code open. All I have to say is thank you AMD, still in my old PC, my hd7700 does wayland kde/gnome/sway without any issue (and very well)!
So at the end of the day, probably, if you have a hybrid intel/nvidia laptop, intel card will continue to work better/faster out of the box on X/Wayland.

To be this feels like:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# THIS CODE IS MIT/GPL FULLY OPEN SOURCE

/usr/bin/davinciresolve

.... davinci resolve is now open source!

And no, I am not a nvidia hater... would love for nvidia to trully have open source drivers, as there are lots of good laptops that have nvidia solutions only. It would open the breath of laptop solutions immensely

4 Likes

Also relevant, in addition to what @alexjp already wrote:

3 Likes

Diggin' the title "Hell Froze Over..." hahahaaaaaaa :laughing:

1 Like

Bingo! I try to stick with amd or intel here.

:joy:

2 Likes

also this clears a few things: https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1524615058688724992

finally…

love this gnome post about it: Why the open source driver release from NVIDIA is so important for Linux? | Christian F.K. Schaller

in a blog of gnome about nvidia, starts with:

One thing many people are not aware of is that Red Hat is the only Linux OS company who has a strong presence in the Linux compute and graphics engineering space. There are of course a lot of other people working in the space too, like engineers working for Intel, AMD and NVidia or people working for consultancy companies like Collabora or individual community members, but Red Hat as an OS integration company has been very active on trying to ensure we have a maintainable and shared upstream open source stack.

RedHat feeling the heat of Garuda Enterprise, so they need marketting at every blogpost !

1 Like

Believe it or not I was temporarily blocked for a dick joke lol. Btw when you say n word you know how that can seem really bad right? Like I was thinking for a second what did I say and then I remembered we're talking about Nvidia lol

What about those who were windows user and bought nvidia powered laptop and now they got to know about linux and now they have shifted to linux?

May be you will not be bothered by it but for many users like me it is a very good news (even though it’s just a micro step but still i liked it :wink: )

1 Like

That’s not problem to me just the card should obey my orders.
I’m really confused should I buy NVIDIA Graphic cards, I don’t want to regret later that I didn’t buy an amd which is supported.

I really hate the closed source hardware which creates e-wastes and even poor people cannot bear these things for free (reuse). Whatever, everything is for money company want money not the poor people or end users. Almost all the hardware are closed.

There is nothing to be get confused, Nvidia even if annouced that they are going to be opensource but still you can’t trust them on just a small period, if i had a chance to choose again whether i want an Nvidia laptop or Amd laptop so I would have choosed Amd

1 Like

n Vidia is the only N-word I am aware of in Linuxland. Once burnt, twice shy.
:smiley:

5 Likes

Sadly, until AMD fix their video encoder for Linux so it actually records and streams without the severe pixilation that happens with all the AMD cards I've had, Nvidia's NVEC is still going to be the best choice for streaming and capture. With AMD on windows or Mac this pixilation doesn't happen so it's an AMD on Linux thing.

When I was still using elementary OS I had AMD for gaming and Nvidia for NVEC in OBS. Would actually do the same thing now on Garuda, but the way the Nvidia drivers install on Arch, with the Nvidia Optimus gpu switching thing being baked in, means I can't have both AMD and Nvidia GPUs active at the same time. Or at least I got fed up of trying to figure out how to have the Nvidia GPU not interfere with OS and disable the AMD GPU.

[edit: It also just hit me that have multiple gpus working together is one of the bigger selling points of both DX12 and Vulkan. So mGPU doesn't require identical GPUs but can be a mix of vendors and one should not have exclusive control of the OS. Optimus breaks all of that if feel which is why I am hoping that the opensource of nvidia drivers at kernel level may allow plug and play, no optimus, and access to the nvec encoder.

Saying all that if intel's GPUs have the AV1 encoder and just work and are cheap enough, may just get one and pair it with the AMD GPU and avoid the nvidia linux driver issues]

yep including all current work/state of the drivers for the 4000 series.
Several TB of code and blueprint data, you can imagine they've literally publicized everything nVidia had according to critical software/source code including a big number of revision of set software and code :rofl:

1 Like

Talking about graphics, forgot to post this important game related news piece from the other day. Proton Experimental now needs a minimum of NVIDIA 510.47 / Mesa 22.0.

6 Likes

wow ... wasn't aware that elden ring was playable in linux.

i haven't played games (windows or linux) in years... but its one of the games under my radar, if I even am able to play a game or two!

3 Likes

Honestly it probably ran better on Linux than on Windows from what I heard when it released

4 Likes

Yeah, it's one of the SteamDeck verified games. It actually runs smoother on SteamDeck and Linux than on Windows from what people have been saying

4 Likes

Meanwhile. "FreeBSD 13.1 [has been released today]"
Am so surprised of this longevity!

4 Likes

when will garuda phone will come :joy:

1 Like