Linux & Tech news 📰

62 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

A post was merged into an existing topic: THE Big thread about performance

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/01/a-bug-lurking-for-12-years-gives-attackers-root-on-every-major-linux-distro/

2 Likes

Not to flame the neverending discussion, just a nice, high-level, summary... :blush:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-kde-better-gnome/

9 Likes

utter waffle

2 Likes

How many users garuda currently have any guess??

I can speak only for myself, so I guess only 1 !

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Since we do not collect user data, nobody knows :slight_smile:

https://forum.garudalinux.org/about
Minimum 4534 :wink:

Only one download place, only one week.

7 Likes

Garuda community is growing rapidly. :smiley:

4 Likes

KDE 5.24 releasing soon...and...

What’s New in KDE Plasma 5.24: 5 Major Improvements to Expect

More about 5.24...

And in Gnome world....

You may have noticed some Pipewire updates this week...

The Good...and bad....on Intel's security patch;

And lastly, a sneak peak at kernel 5.17 and all its goodies....

7 Likes

Thanks for The News @RodneyCK. I am chomping at the bit to get the last of my restored files backed-up, then it's back to Linux and back to Garuda. 2-3 hours from now.

I was stuck with a usable Win 11 installation after I screwed the pooch on all of my data, here and externally. By trying to do too much too rapidly and not actually paying nominal attention to it. sigh. And I was doing all the damage from within a Live Linux ISO. A good lesson for others, especially those older Linux users who may become complacent in their "mad skilz."

A buddy I skydived with witnessed another skydiver do a "superman swoop" into the lake where he was canoeing. I guess it was like hitting concrete and the blood flew everywhere, he said. It's something that can happen to very experienced skydivers with a lot of jumps under their belt. Kind of akin to "rapture of the deep." I can believe it.

Enough of my misadventures. Thanks for The News!
:smiley:

2 Likes

Sorry you had to take a ....dive :open_mouth: :woozy_face: into Windows 11. Things like this shake the cobwebs off our often complacent mad linux skillz. Chalk it up as a refresher course....and get back to Linux, quickly. :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

Let it serve as an example. A bad one.
:wink:

EDIT: Oh shit! I just realized it has been 90 days--three months--since I had my last cigarette. Holy cow. See? Good stuff happens when you run Linux.
:smiley:

13 Likes

Definitely, running Windows on ones computer is like smoking cigarettes in real life. Both are bad for a person's health :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Review of the Pinephone, an interesting read....

6 Likes

Looking good!

"...not a single call being missed."

That bit surprised me, because I have heard otherwise. Very good to hear! I'm looking forward to the developments the Pinephone Pro will support.

5 Likes

I happen to own the Braveheart edition (2GB RAM; 16GB eMMC) and I haven't tried every available distro yet, but Ubuntu Touch is currently my favorite one. At the moment it is more stable and a lot faster. I haven't tried making (or receiving) phone calls yet.

hum, when I wrote faster, I meant: faster than the Manjaro version that came pre-installed.

5 Likes

btw ... carefull with linux 5.16:

I would be affected, lucky I am on xanmod which is still on 5.15.

So....
linux 5.15 killed my bcache data
linux 5.16 would have killed my ssd in 2 weeks

nice!

7 Likes
6 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)