Linux & Tech news 📰

Hear hear.

Nick from The Linux Experiment has an 11-minute video on the topic: Easy Anti Cheat WORKS on LINUX - Epic's Epic Announcement - YouTube

Supposedly all the devs have to do is tick a box in the new SDK.

5 Likes

yes i see, but the question is, how long will they update there games for it to run EAC on steam behalf.. could take months if not years...

2 Likes

That's a good question. It should be a simple thing for the game devs to turn on.

BattlEye is also onboard. :slight_smile: PC Gamer article

3 Likes

Google Issues Warning For 2 Billion Chrome Users

In an attempt to protect users and buy them time to upgrade, Google is keeping the details surrounding CVE-2021-37973 a closely guarded secret. All the company would provide were its threat ranking, what part of Chrome had been exploited and that it was discovered in-house by Google employees:

:hushed:

This affects Microsoft Edge, Chromium, Opera and Vivaldi. Currently Chromium is patched, the others are not.

Arch Linux Bug Report

3 Likes

I guess brave, falkon and qutebrowser also, right ?

Million dollar answer to why “fragmentation” is good, and why not just 1 distro, 1 desktop, 1 browser :slight_smile:

EDIT: heh if this becomes “social media big”, manjaro will AGAIN show why its important to listen to them, in making vivaldi default in a community edition.

4 Likes

Chrome is patched as well. Drama :yum:

3 Likes

Yeah, not sure why they don't have those two browsers listed.

1 Like

this is a bummer for me in qutebrowser, since qtwebengine is at chromium 87 now ( unless they update the fixes ( which they do some ) or its "too old to have the bug :P" )

I figured peeps on our side of the fence would not be using straight up Chrome. :rofl:

Is IE5 infected?
Btw only joking

4 Likes

It was fixed in .61, the current iteration.

3 Likes
9 Likes

btw .... brave on Garuda is now at .61 !

( case you need to login to gitlab :stuck_out_tongue: ) hehehehe

3 Likes

A bit late to the party lol… but I think it’s safe to assume today’s Vivaldi-snapshot is patched :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

The KDE Project announced today the release of KDE Gear 21.08.2 as the second bugfix release to the latest KDE Gear 21.08 open-source software suite for the Plasma desktop and other platforms.

KDE Gear 21.08.1 Full Log Page

7 Likes

KDE Frameworks 5.87 is here to make the Plasma Discover graphical package manager faster when checking for updates and when loading the initial content from any of the Add-Ons categories, fix a crash in the Dolphin file manager, Plasma desktop and other KDE apps when undoing a file copy, and to adds icons in the Breeze icon theme for different types of Godot Engine files.

4 Likes

For those who use the latest Firefox, here's how to disable the ads in Firefox’s address bar:

Go to Settings > Privacy & Security.
Untick Contextual suggestions under the Address Bar section.

7 Likes

Destination Linux takes on....Firefox, and discusses its sad state of affairs, lost focus, user base decline, and so forth. Worth a good listen if you are interested. Not sure there is really a good alternative, sadly.

10 Likes

Windows “The Privacy” 11 ?

EDIT:

by the way, interesting… after watching that part about firefox, went on to see a video talking about the same about 1 year ago.

ended up watching more videos from it… very interesting.

particulary liked this one: Everything You've Heard about Privacy is Wrong.

6 Likes

We should be getting KDE 5.23 today/soon...

11 Likes