Linux & Tech news šŸ“°

9 Likes

I am shocked !!!

I never saw that one coming !

2 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

9 Likes

Just in memory of one of the people who brought me into the world of computers when I was a child (although I moved to Commodors shortly after).

8 Likes

Chaos Computer Club (CCC) celebrates its 40th anniversary.

A touch of world domination

The Chaos Computer Club was founded 40 years ago. Back then, hacking was a subculture for "computer freaks" with a need for data. Today, it has become a global phenomenon.

https://www.ccc.de/en/

With the acoustic coupler in the phone booth: Wau Holland, the founder of the Chaos Computer Club, in the eighties Ā© sebastiankusenberg.de

11 Likes

RIP, Sir Clive Sinclair.

3 Likes

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01

10 Likes
6 Likes

I think it would be better to open a dedicated thread for this (in unsupported software), to avoid a potentially long discussion lost here...

7 Likes

This episode dives into this partnership. Itā€™s pretty interesting, I personally did not know about Vivaldiā€™s story and ideals and was impressed by the CEO. There is also some really good discussion on internet privacy in general.

5 Likes

Yeah. It was a really interesting discussion. Iā€™m actually trying Vivaldi currently for chromium based browser needs.

Itā€™s pretty solid overall.

haven't watched it yet, though for me its gonna be really hard to sell after this: Vivaldi browser and open-source | Vivaldi Browser

what I get from that blog post is: vivaldi is too important for us, so cannot be open source.

like saying archlinux and linux and etc is open source because it isn't the main business of archlinux or linux.

It doesn't really matter ... if its not open source, it could be anything.
I am not saying its a bad browser, but if care of privacy and security ... it automatically disqualifies vivaldi browser ( which, although it may not seem like it, makes me really sad because it seems a great browser with great services )

6 Likes

They are kinda protective. Just scared that if someone gets their UI code, they will make something amazing that will overshadow Vivaldi. I can understand. Maybe theyā€™ll open source it when Vivaldi grows big.

11 Likes

He (Jon the CEO) goes into what part of Vivaldi isnā€™t open source (itā€™s about 5% of the code), but the code is readable, itā€™s just not released under open source licenses. Itā€™s really only their UX stuff thatā€™s closed, and thatā€™s where all of their differentiating value is.

I see his side of it, and I see the other side, and while hope they Open their code at some point I can also understand why they wouldnā€™t want to. I also get why someone might not want to use it since it is closed source.

2 Likes

Talk about company leaders you can trust... :face_vomiting: This whole story just reeks

4 Likes

Epic Games announces anti-cheat for linux.

5 Likes

EAC support for Linux

FTA: "Earlier this year, Easy Anti-Cheat for Windows games was made available to all developers, for free. Today, we extend support to Linux and Mac..."

8 Likes

I hopping that Rust will work as of now, as its one of the many great games.. Due to Steam Deck coming out, i wonder if they will make linux more gaming software then windows..

Like GTA, Other games that runs on windows can be imported over

2 Likes