Linux & Tech news 📰

A vpn service will get by that shit.

4 Likes

How do you piarate linux.

1 Like

:wink:

11 Likes
4 Likes

I can see it now, stackoverflow.com charging to read their tech advice just like Red Hat Linux you need a Red Hat support account to read much of their information online.

1.8 Billion is a lot of money, they must have some kind of plan to recoup that kind of dough

8 Likes

I'm waiting on the kde panels to get at least some of the functionalities :sob:

2 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

https://www.redox-os.org/news/open-source-mental-health/

9 Likes

Your second link was very sad, but well worth the time it took to read.

Thanks for posting.

8 Likes

It is indeed but I had to share it, its concluding message is something very important, something which people tend to forget at times when being toxic - there are real people with real feelings behind the usernames! :eyes:

There is no solution, every case is different. […] We are still in the dark ages of understanding the human mind, and the more we check in with each-other, the better we will do. […] I will no longer value contributors by the code they crank out. The code doesn’t write itself, and the person writing the code needs even more maintenance than the “open source” itself.

14 Likes
7 Likes

So,

And almost all the social media platforms were flooded with memes.
But here's what caught my eye.

400186600952_196888
(AT&T owns HBOMax)

8 Likes

Btw, we are gonna see a huge wave of new Linux users, coming from ms, because the supported processors droped substantially in Window 11, which is way less than window 10 20h2, which is already less than earlier versions.
In windows 20H2, supported processors were around 883(intel) + 370 (AMD), while in windows 11, there are just around 537 (intel) + 168 (AMD).

(from official docs)

This will leave millions of ms customers with 3 options

1. Stay and use outdated softwares.
  2. Buy new hardware.
  3. Switch to Linux

Just an estimate by me.

12 Likes

Oh, goody. sob

EDIT:

WINDOWS 11 SUPPORT FOR INTEL

• Intel 8th Gen (Coffee Lake)
  • Intel 9th Gen (Coffee Lake Refresh)
  • Intel 10th Gen (Comet Lake)
  • Intel 10th Gen (Ice Lake)
  • Intel 11th Gen (Rocket Lake)
  • Intel 11th Gen (Tiger Lake)
  • Intel Xeon Skylake-SP
  • Intel Xeon Cascade Lake-SP
  • Intel Xeon Cooper Lake-SP
  • Intel Xeon Ice Lake-SP

WINDOWS 11 SUPPORT FOR AMD

• AMD Ryzen 2000
  • AMD Ryzen 3000
  • AMD Ryzen 4000
  • AMD Ryzen 5000
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2000
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3000
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3000
  • AMD EPYC 2nd Gen
  • AMD EPYC 3rd Gen
9 Likes

Windows does this intentionally IMO. It keeps its perch atop the OS hierarchy because of its symbiotic relationship with all the major hardware manufacturers.

The hardware manufacturers know that if they ship their hardware with Windows the consumer will be forced to buy new hardware within 5 years as Windows is sure to discontinue support for old hardware before too long.

Linux can potentially extend the hardware lifetime to a dozen years or more. You don't make any money selling hardware without consumer churn.

12 Likes

Microsoft & Intel teamed-up, once again. Bastards

8 Likes

But this time, this will most probably backfire, for windows.

Regarding intel, they would be least affected, amd is very weak at supply.

My point is 7th gen intel processors are very recent, latest one launched in 2017. It was discontinued only in October 2020. This means there are lots and lots of laptops still in market with 7th gen, and some are even on online platforms. People buying them, will feel cheated. Most will blame windows as well as manufacturer brands. Nobody’s gonna say it is intel’s fault (including me).

Let’s wait and see.

Btw, I heard windows 11 is free of cost. I knew that

6 Likes

Btw, on another topic

7 Likes

I always assumed that McAffee programmed the viruses themselves in order to sell this software, but it never really helped :smiley:

6 Likes