Linux & Tech news 📰

Oh yes, I’m using it as well (with KwinFT). I’m impressed about the development of KDE.

Unfortunately for me it’s not enough to switch to Wayland :frowning:

3 Likes

Interestingly enough they did not yet import the code for appmenus to KwinFT I think (which explains why it wasnt working with that one), so Im using regular Kwin-git for now :smiley:

This morning I was almost forced to switch back to X11 due to Kwin restarting when doing git commits with the sign option :grin: Filed a bugreport, learned how to compile packages with debug symbols and was able to provide a backtrace so the bug was fixed quite fast :scream: Still astonished by how fast! :smiley:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=437138
The last thing I’m really missing now is proper screenshot support :slight_smile: But it really has progressed since the last releases, can’t deny that.

6 Likes

More than spectacle? It seems working :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Tells me "Could not take a screenshot" with every option :confused:

3 Likes

I started just today messing with wayland. I was logged in KDE wayland when I read your post and used the same (as in Xorg) shortcut for spectacle and worked.
BTW I use Arch :rofl:

Seriously, I have no idea what the problem may be. It works for my session (now… :laughing: ). Wayland on KDE has a lot of glitches but for the (little) time I use it, it is usable. Noone knows what happens tomorrow. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Did you also set proper environment variables to force the usage of Wayland?

MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
3 Likes

I am really shocked and confused on this. I did nothing of these and FF works in Wayland (checked in about:).
I see nothing in /etc/environment, or /etc/profile.d.

I may have the good ghosts in my laptop… :angel:

4 Likes

The Arch wiki suggests this so I added them. :eyes:
Also I was testing Firefox like that (about:support), it showed xwayland without having added MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 to /etc/environment so I guess its needed :thinking:

3 Likes

Do you mean the packages? or the envvar?

I get this

$ env | grep -i qt
PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING=1
QT_WAYLAND_FORCE_DPI=96
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0

$ env | grep -i wayland
DESKTOP_SESSION=plasmawayland
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland
WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0
QT_WAYLAND_FORCE_DPI=96

$ pacman -Qs wayland
local/kwayland 5.82.0-1 (kf5)
    Qt-style Client and Server library wrapper for the Wayland libraries
local/kwayland-integration 5.21.5-1 (plasma)
    Provides integration plugins for various KDE frameworks for the wayland windowing system
local/kwayland-server 5.21.5-1 (plasma)
    Wayland server components built on KDE Frameworks
local/libva 2.11.0-1
    Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux
local/plasma-wayland-session 5.21.5-1
    Plasma Wayland session
local/qt5-wayland 5.15.2+kde+r22-1 (qt qt5)
    Provides APIs for Wayland
local/sddm 0.19.0-6
    QML based X11 and Wayland display manager
local/wayland 1.19.0-1
    A computer display server protocol
local/wayland-protocols 1.21-1
    Specifications of extended Wayland protocols
local/xorg-xwayland 21.1.1-1 (xorg)
    run X clients under wayland

4 Likes

Maybe my sin is I have been using Gnome on Wayland on the same account, just before I start using KDE wayland...
I D K

4 Likes

I mean the variables, added to /etc/environment :slight_smile:

λ  env env | grep -i qt
PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING=1
QT_WAYLAND_FORCE_DPI=96
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
QT_LINUX_ACCESSIBILITY_ALWAYS_ON=1

I’m pretty sure the missing QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland in your envvars is what makes spectacle work for you :smiley:

3 Likes

This var is empty on me.

Edit:
How can I find out if QT apps (KDE and such) are running on wayland or on fake wayland?

3 Likes

One indicator for me was broken screenshot support on every application I tried, all Qt applications. Flameshot, Ksnip & Spectacle, all working fine on X11 are kind of broken on Wayland (just "capture current window*" works on Ksnip) :sweat_smile:
Additionally, launching Ksnip gives

Warning: Wayland does not support QWindow::requestActivate()

so I think its safe to assume its running on Wayland :smiley:

3 Likes

I tried kate from terminal and works normally.

kate  -platform wayland
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so: (libhspell.so.0:cannot open shared object file: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so: (libvoikko.so.1:cannot open shared object file: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so: (libhspell.so.0:cannot open shared object file: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so: (libvoikko.so.1:cannot open shared object file: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος)"
kf.sonnet.core: Unable to handle language from dictionary "gr" "C"
qt.qpa.wayland: Wayland does not support QWindow::requestActivate()
3 Likes
8 Likes

Wow, in the next post you can see a picture that shows the "Millennial Gate" of Gilimanuk. How many times have I been through there ...

6 Likes

Looks promising, doesn't it?
Prices still seem a bit too high to me, even for the DIY version, but maybe over time....

10 Likes
9 Likes

In Russia he's actually considered our home-brewed Elon Musk, but that doesn't excuse Telegram for not using it's own weird encryption 90% of the time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes
5 Likes