Hi! I picked Garuda after Mint ditched KDE. Still struggling

Hello everyone!

I'm a (relatively) old Linux user, from the first Mandrake editions. I used to hand-pick the packages at install time and to compile a tailored kernel. It's been a long time: I no longer do that.

My history:

• Mandrake Linux, renamed Mandriva, until it's over
  • Mageia, until it became problematic
  • Linux Mint KDE, until they ditched KDE as a supported flavor

So I planned to switch to Garuda Linux.

The last push: Mint drive almost died (FS repair failed, still need to look at those and get some data back), so I no longer had any system running.

Now

• Garuda Linux Dragonized edition

Great look, I can bear with the lower central dock and the upper bar for time and system menu, but...

Seriously guys, what's the reason one would want the app menu all the way up in the screen, the Mac way? It was a good idea on small 12" screens, to save space, but on our huge screens now it only increase the mouse's travel. Please someone, explain!

This is the first thing I'll look into (get the app menu in its window), I got a lead about that but the first try on usb booted system wasn't conclusive.

Next: the printer/scanner:

Argh! This is an Arch system, editor (Brother) provides .rpm and .deb, so I need to get my hands into that... not that I hadn't any work to do already. Ok, I'll do it.

Next: the guest account and the login screen.

I want a guest account with no password, and the few users listed on the welcome screen (so ideally: one double click to log on the guest, even if I logged on mine before). No clues for this one.

Next: more apps and some app in wine/proton, and resurrect game backups in Steam.

Also, maybe I'll try the LXDE flavor.

2 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile:

The way the maintainer likes it.

Itā€™s easy to change it. Thatā€™s why we make only one version (KDE) and not hundreds, to satisfy all individual user needs.

Please only one ā€œproblemā€ per thread.
And this Introduce yourself is the wrong place for suggestions for improvement.

3 Likes

Iā€™m fine with this reason (itā€™s just I would be curious to understand how itā€™s convenient or where it comes from, maybe a Mac user?)
But ok, thatā€™s might not be the place :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No, he just uses a small Notebook :slight_smile:

I am not a fan of this style, but ā€¦ :smiley:

2 Likes

The Dragonized style has a strong personality and I new that beforehand. I wanted to give it a try.
I like it, overall. Itā€™s a nice change of pace. The only issue is with the app menu Iā€™m struggling to solve in other thread.

I thought I would miss the original plain icons more, but on the good side thereā€™s a nice immersive experience.
I canā€™t wait to see how the rest of the family will react :smile: (this is our main PC in the living room)

1 Like

Itā€™s a widget that can be easily removed. right click on the panel at the top and enter edit mode then,
Remove the window appmenu widget as seen in the below ss.

If you donā€™t want your minimize, maximize, close window buttons on the panel either you can remove itā€™s widget the same way too. As can be seen in ss itā€™s called window buttons

3 Likes

Thank you for going out of your way to help me here :blush: (although this was just to say Hi! and share my next steps, I was still working on my own to solve this)

I did try what you show: after this post I explored the ā€˜solutionsā€™ --not working-- and I asked some help here

but the thread seems locked now.

Iā€™ll dig more before creating a new post.

I don't know if these are related or not but have you looked at your gtk settings. I am just guessing but

ā•°ā”€Ī» cat .gtkrc-2.0
File: .gtkrc-2.0
gtk-theme-name="Sweet-Dark"
gtk-enable-animations=1
gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=0
gtk-toolbar-style=3
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-cursor-theme-size=24
gtk-cursor-theme-name="Sweet-cursors"
gtk-icon-theme-name="BeautyLine"
gtk-font-name="Fira Sans,  10"

gtk-modules=appmenu-gtk-module

ā•­ā”€siddharth@siddharth in ~ took 21ms
󰂃89%
ā•°ā”€Ī» cat .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
File: .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
[Settings]
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=true
gtk-button-images=true
gtk-cursor-theme-name=Sweet-cursors
gtk-cursor-theme-size=24
gtk-decoration-layout=close,maximize,minimize:
gtk-enable-animations=true
gtk-font-name=Fira Sans,  10
gtk-icon-theme-name=BeautyLine
gtk-menu-images=true
gtk-modules=colorreload-gtk-module:window-decorations-gtk-module:appmenu-gtk-module
gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=false
gtk-shell-shows-menubar=1
gtk-theme-name=Sweet-Dark
gtk-toolbar-style=3
gtk-xft-dpi=122880

perhaps you might have to remove the appmenu-gtk-module and mess with other settings like gtk-shell-shows-menubar=1. They just look connected to me. I am no expert so take this with a grain of salt.

You necrobump a one-year-old thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yesā€¦ itā€™s not good. Yet it was the one with the best match for the title, not yet locked, and with no effective answer. So I dig it out of the cemetery :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For the guest account without the password I'll try GDM - ArchWiki (# Passwordless login)
If it's successful and with some other tricks I'll share it in some post.

If you are on KDE, try this first:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SDDM#Passwordless_login
Well, in the end they look basically the same...

Thanks for providing the link on this thread :sweat_smile:

It's working (I still need to press enter on the password input, but it's another matter)

Now I'll try to have all those users displayed, so they can be seen right away and guest login done with one click (or double?) without the need to display a list first. I think it could be more complicated, as the appearance of SDDM might be a small program to build, if I remember well... But that's not the priority :smiling_face:

EDIT: no working to unlock screen... :rofl: :sweat:

Just install kde-git and set it according to your taste or install gnome-version and then install plasma , plasma-nm and other plasma apps from pamac and switch from gdm3 to sddm , and after rebooting select plasmax11 from login screen , if everything works then remove gnome-desktop

We will remove it soon from download page, itā€™s currently not functional.

2 Likes

For appmenu-gtk-module: it's not longer in the .gtkrc-2.0 (remove by GUI as directed by other post). :smiling_face:

For the .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini :
If I edit it, it's later reverted to it previous version upon login, by gmenudbusmenuproxy :fearful: :sweat:
I wanted the line gtk-shell-shows-menubar=1
I can't even try :sob:

EDIT: maybe 685498 ā€“ kde-plasma/plasma-workspace has optional runtime support for appmenu-gtk to provide globalmenu integration for x11-libs/gtk+ based applications

EDIT2:
in the menuproxy.cpp of gmenudbusmenuproxy, there's this comment:
// kde-gtk-config just deletes and re-creates the gtkrc-2.0, watch this and add our config to it again

EDIT3:
in the same cpp:
MenuProxy::writeGtk3Settings is writing back in settings.ini :

if (m_enabled) {
        group.writeEntry("gtk-shell-shows-menubar", 1);
    } else {
        group.deleteEntry("gtk-shell-shows-menubar");
    }

EDIT4:
I tried the env variable KDE_NO_GLOBAL_MENU=1 , no luck.

Last attempt: Trying Reddit - Dive into anything
Using dconf-editor , navigate to /org/appmenu/gtk-module and toggle Always show menus in application

Maybe you must change in /usr/share/
I change the color as example ...

sudo sed -i 's/c50ed2/226b99/g' /usr/share/themes/Sweet-Dark/gtk-3.0/gtk-dark.css

and it never changed back :slight_smile:

So does that mean vanilla-kde will replace it ?

Well, I wanted to give dragonized a try, I like the design, mostly. And I believe were on an open system where we can do at least a little tweak :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_face:

The /usr/share/gtk-3.0/settings.ini has only three lines, 15 for the user one. I guess the gmenudbusmenuproxy is writing more.