Garuda Linux review/write up @ TechRepublic.com

I can't believe Jack Wallen actually fulfilled my request but see for yourself:

I put the request into him after reading a great review of another, lesser known distro. I haven't actually read the article yet, I was so psyched that I wanted to come here to tell you all first.

VIVA LA GARUDA LINUX!

5 Likes

:exploding_head:

7 Likes

Well, that's rather encouraging!

2 Likes

It's where I first saw anything in detail. Read it this morning and will give it a try with the dr460nized KDE.

I've been using Linux since 1993, back when Linus was very active and I had several long dialogues with him. Am very busy with enterprise systems these days, so less time to try out new desktops.

Know RHEL server inside and out. Have settled on Mint Cinnamon as my desktop for many years just because it works. Our entire home has been 99.99% Linux since 1999. Prior to Mint, I used Suse and back in the 90's Fedora.

I look forward to giving this a spin. I'll drop back and put in my two cents when I get a chance to install it.

6 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile:

I use Mint Cinnamon until I break it on two upgrades 17 to 18 and 18 to 19.

But I am not an experienced Linux user either then or now. :smiley:
Arch based OS seem personally easier for myself . :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow that’s what you call dedication, I think you have been using linux the longest out of anyone on the forum.

1 Like

I am likely the oldest at 63 yrs old.

Our 28 yr old son used Linux all of his life. He leads Research and Development for a major autonomous vehicle company where nearly everything runs on Linux.

3 Likes

I mean longest at using linux. What distros did you use

Fedora back in the late 90s (starting 1996?) and then SUSE from around 1999 until Mint in 2007. Tried a few others like Enlightenment but not as our primary desktop.

2 Likes

Sorry dude, at 63yo, you are not even close to the oldest. I am 78yo and there are some on here who are older than me.

Oh, I wrote my first program in 1963. And a big Welcome to the Garuda Forum.

7 Likes

Then whos the youngest?

1 Like

Probably not!

Before linus? how is that possible?

That's called hyperbole.
:wink:

3 Likes

Nope. Several of us have you beat. I’m near-69 and @mandog is a year older. :wink: But you’ve been running Linux a couple years longer than a few of us and certainly you’re well versed at enterprise.

Garuda is Arch-based and tweaked to hell-and-gone. With pretty clothes. And the developers eat their own dogfood, always a plus.)

That’s raising 'em right! :smiley:

Welcome to Garuda and welcome to the forum!

6 Likes

The developers are dogs confirmed :dog:

1 Like

:slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

5 Likes

I know it was Sept 1993 because it was three months before I moved to the USA. Linus was already out there and very vocal by 1993. He started Linux a couple years before that. I was a newbie in a large swamp of hilarious people. One guy took a train from the south of the Netherlands (Limburg) for 3.5 hrs to help me suss out a HW issue with a PC I had just built. I drove him back home as thanks.

Those original people across the globe committed me to helping as much as I could back then when Microsoft was the Big Bad Nasty Meanie.

And here's the funny thing to me, many of my customers are fully dedicated to Microsoft Azure cloud but I ALWAYS put all of their infrastructure on Linux. Linux has about 65% of all VMs and dedicated HW instances in Azure as of Dec 2020.

6 Likes

Very cool! From what my aerospace father’s employees told me, back in those days it was difficult to network with other devs. How did you connect up with other coders back then? NASA had a boatload of them locked up, but even then they were working at universities. My older, just now retired brother of 71 was a COBOL master in telecom for many years. He was on very early projects for mobile networking, it all sounded like Sci Fi in the mid-70’s.

6 Likes

True story - I just returned home from a 50km round trip. It’s very nice here in AZ today, it’s 28C outside and sunny. There was a pickup truck in the lane to the left of me and I swore that I saw the top of a dog head. We pulled up to a stop light and yes, two Golden Retrievers were in the back, sitting still being very good boys.

I called over to them “Hey there puppies!” They came over and bent down so I could scratch their chins. Made my day. I’ll bet they have all sorts of AI routines in their heads, they just need either thumbs or dog speech recognition to get them into production. :grin:

Though I am an architect, my area of expertise is speech recognition and then text to speech. Perhaps I need to work on the dog to human interface? :dog:

5 Likes