New distro for me

On a whim, I installed Garuda, and I had a few issues afterwards, but nothing insurmountable (and most if not entirely all of my own making).
I am enjoying it (some indefinable attraction), though I am mostly running Sway with Xwayland disabled, with some I3 when I find something I need to do in X.
I somehow broke lightdm, not sure how...but oh well, sddm has always worked better for me with Wayland anyway (oddly), maybe I'll try to fix it on the next rainy day.

I have almost more years with Linux than Linus does, but not nearly that level of expertise, though I have contributed a few things long ago and far away. These days, I'm just a tinkerer and not a coder. I like figuring out new things.

I would love to see more discussion of I3/Sway configurations in the forums. It would afford me an opportunity to learn more.

Oh, you've also convinced me that btrfs is wonderful (had never tried it before).

7 Likes

Nice to see so many new people enjoying what Garuda has to offer recently.

Welcome to the forum.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum dbarron. I look forward to Garuda coming up in the top ten :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s not possible… :joy:

2 Likes

When you are that old you get confused with things :smiley: :rofl:

My first “computer”.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A (1982)
I don’t say how old I was then :wink:

Second

ATARI 520ST (1985–1986)

2 Likes

I'm older than Linus and I installed the .99 release long ago, when I was a grad student in the CS lab. So...it's close :wink:
I'm not saying I had more to do with it (far from it)..just tenure.

3 Likes

This is not an accomplishment/feat :slight_smile: but coincidence/fate.

So you already used something he hadn’t invented yet?
Cool. But forgive me, I use a translator.

Maybe he is older than @mandog, @Bro and me :thinking: :slight_smile: :wink:

But even that would not bother us Linux lovers :slight_smile:

Welcome

5 Likes

@Bro is getting picked on. ( see this then the first post )
https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/this-one-amazing-piece-of-photo/8494/15

3 Likes

Poor, @Bro.

That's not right picking on the old guys. :rofl:

3 Likes

Especially after they say nice things about your distro! Ok, keep up the good work, and umm, yeah, write documentation...that'll do for you! (for those using translations, I mean that will punish you sufficiently)

4 Likes