Garuda KDE Lite failed to turn off these last 2 days, it froze and also systemd looped

Garuda KDE Lite failed to turn off these last 2 days

1. Yesterday errors:

Failed to start LiveMedia Pacman mirror ranking script
See systemctl status mirror-live,service for details
10 lines ok …
ending Finished Permit User Sessions
starting Deactivate Plymouth Boot
starting Hold until boot process Screen finishes up
starting Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen <= last line and froze. I turned it off by the power switch.

1. Today it entered a loop with a bunch of errors from systemd trying to stop services, unmounting directories, I was in a hurry because I had to leave, I was preparing to get out, I did not write the errors, and when I returned to check the computer, 15 minutes had passed and the computer did not turn off, was in a systemd loop with a bunch of messages. I did control+alt+delete several times and it did not take it. Much to my regret, I had to turn off the computer by the power off switch.

I still have the intermitent problem of Chrome, but that is another topic. How can I do to have at least the OS stable?, during the first week it was fine but now it is failing in the turn off cycle. I never had these problems before, and I do not know how to troubleshoot these strange issues.

I updated the system everyday, during these last 5 days.
Thank you.

Not so good, better try, if necessary, in TTY 3

systemctl poweroff -i

TTY = Ctrl + Alt + F3
User login + password.

Sometimes there are things to be done by the system before the PC is switched off. Can take 2 - 6 minutes, but this seems to be longer :wink:

If the PC is then disconnected from the power supply, a defective system may occur.

The best thing is to restore a snapshot from 5 days ago.

Because we don’t know what problems you or an update may have caused :wink:

I didn’t have your “errors” so far and reasons for this can be various, think about when everything was running and if you could have been the cause yourself. If not, good, check if the same problems occur after a new update. Then post which files were updated.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer with the information of power off via tty @SGS.

The system update many programs, I never keep a record of what is being updated by the system every time, should I have to? I have been working as a user with Linux continuously for 10 years, and I never lost data, damaged or lost a system.
Regards

Not every time, only for this problem.

Open pamac, click on three dots, then show history,
mark text, copy text and paste here if the error occurs again.
like this

[2020-09-26T01:35:07+0200] [ALPM] upgraded webkit2gtk (2.28.4-1 -> 2.30.1-1)
[2020-09-26T01:35:07+0200] [ALPM] upgraded vte3 (0.60.3-1 -> 0.62.0-1)
[2020-09-26T01:35:07+0200] [ALPM] upgraded vte-common (0.60.3-1 -> 0.62.0-1)
[2020-09-26T01:35:07+0200] [ALPM] upgraded plymouth-git (0.9.5.r18.g20778f2-1 -> 0.9.5.r23.g1253f7a-1)
[2020-09-26T01:35:07+0200] [ALPM] upgraded openmpi (4.0.4-1 -> 4.0.5-1)
[2020-09-26T01:35:06+0200] [ALPM] upgraded ghostscript (9.53.1-1 -> 9.53.2-1)
[2020-09-26T01:35:06+0200] [ALPM] upgraded embree (3.11.0-1 -> 3.12.0-1)
[2020-09-25T18:47:35+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> finished: 2 packages removed (disk space saved: 1.3 MiB)
1 Like

Thank you @SGS I already wrote the procedure of power off via tty and if I have same problem tomorrow I will print Pamac history, but the different thing I did these last 3 days is that I updated the system via terminal with:

pacman -Syu

So I will go back to Pamac and I will print the history here in case it fails again.
Regards

1 Like

Me too :slight_smile:
But for history I look in pamac :wink:

1 Like

There are many possibilities that might have caused this. The most likely is an update is responsible. However, if that was the case then I would expect others would be posting similar complaints (haven't noticed any).

Just to check if it could be a problematic piece of hardware run your computer off a live boot environment for a few power cycles to see if you experience the same issues.

The next thing I might wonder about is issues caused by user configuration changes, or a buggy software installation.

Have you installed any AUR progs recently?

Have you made major system configuration changes?

Have you changed your installed desktop since installation?

Have you installed multiple desktops?

Do you multi boot?

How long has it been since your system was first installed?

Are there any things about your setup that would be considered non-standard?

Please answer as many of those questions as possible to narrow down the cause.

You'll need to learn how to roll back your system. That is Garuda's strongest selling point for those not used to troubleshooting difficult problems.

Hopefully rolling back your system will be enough to correct your problem. If that is the case I would wait a week to 10 days before updating again.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Hello and thanks for your detailed troubleshoot strategy @tbg.

Yes, after a long week struggling with my main program I was able to install it from AUR. I have not done any change to the system nor its configuration, this is a standard Garuda KDE Lite installation. No other desktop. Garuda detected my Win 7 that I only use to run the Intel SSD Diagnostic Tool to check the health of the SSD every 6 months. Win 7 runs on a partition in another disk a HD WD Caviar Black. Garuda left MX16 boot option, but I marked Garuda Installer to completely format the SSD, only Garuda runs on the SSD, MX16 boot option can not work, MX16 was erased. I did not touch the boot, it was configured by Garuda.

I only Installed the following 5 programs via Pamac in this order:
1. LibreOffice-fresh 7.0.1-1 and its Spanish language pack from Official Repositories. (Works fine) Installed Friday 14 September 2020.
2. Virtualbox 6.1.14-1 Official Repositories Installed 15 September 2020. (Works fine)
3. Google-Chrome 85.0.4183.121-1 from Chaotic-AUR (Tabs crashes randomly)

4. CherryTree 0.39.4-1 from AUR Installed 16 September 2020. (Works fine)
5. KeepNote 0.7.8-4 from AUR (Works fine) Installed 19 September 2020.

That is all.
Thanks for any idea.

Well, the first thing I would do is try the rollback feature as @SGS suggested. if that doesn't help then test a live environment to rule out a hardware quirk.

When you are having problems starting up or shutting down it is a good idea to remove all unnecessary peripheral devices from the computer. That means anything on the USB bus or any extra monitors as well.

2 Likes

Good idea @tbg , missing hardware.

cat /etc/fstab 
1 Like

Also:

journalctl -b -u systemd-poweroff

journalctl | grep 'reboot\|poweroff'

Also, you could try uninstalling tlp if it is installed.

1 Like

Hello

Two days ago I followed @SGS advise, I let all post switch-off processes to complete, I got these messages:

… Ok Closed LUM2 metadata daemon socket
(1 of 16) A stop job is running for Swap Block/Partition (22 min 5s / 1H 1 min 31 s)
(1 of 16) A stop job is running for dev/disk/by-id and a bunch of numbers (23 min 10s / 1H 1 min 31 s)
(1 of 16) A stop job is running for by-path … (24 min 15s / 1H 1 min 31 s)
(1 of 16) A stop job is running for by-level … (25 min 12s / 1H 1 min 31 s)
:scream: :scream: it was 2:30 am

So I let the process to reach the end, and finally the machine turned off by itself, I did not force nor touch anything. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

During these last 2 days Garuda KDE Lite switched-off and restarted several times always at its normal speed, I think the problem is solved now. I will mark your answer as the solution.

Thank you and regards.

1 Like