Garuda Grub with OpenSUSE

No luck… No errors but when I run the last command (configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg, I also tried /boot/grub2/grub.cfg). The search command takes a while with no --set but finishes instantly with it. A quick LS shows that the directory did not change

Edit: I’m not allowed to make another post for 14hr because of the new user restriction, so I’m going to edit this.
Edit2: At this point is there any way to just make garuda snapshots available from opensuse’s grub and then circumvent this bug altogether?
Edit3: Or perhaps replace garuda grub with normal grub?
Edit4:

I did find the partition, it listed it just fine when I ran the command search.fs_label suse. It just wouldn’t mount with search.fs_label suse --set root. As I stated before, doing ls (hd0,msdos3) (the suse partition) gives me /@. In /@ I find /@/boot. In /boot all I find is the grub2 folder, while when I mount the drive in garuda I could see all the vmlinuz_linux files and stuff, but not in grub.

When I installed suse the second time to see if a corrupted suse was the problem it repalced garuda-grub with its own grub2. From this grub2 I was able to boot suse fine and garuda if I modified the .cfg to add /@ to the beginning of the directories. The problem occured when I did /grub-install /dev/sde in garuda to replace the suse grub with garuda grub. If all else fails I could go into my suse usb and chroot into the suse installation to run /grub-install. From there I could follow your suggestions. If nothing else works I might try this tomorrow, but I would like to nail this bug so no one else has it (I may replace suse with manjaro or pop later on so I want garuda’s grub to work properly).

1 Like

If you don’t find Suse partition at grub terminal, then is probably

Your drive is like (hd0,msdos3). Try other available numbers with ls.

ls (hd0,msdos3)
ls (hd0,msdos1)
ls (hd2,msdos3)
ls (hd2,msdos1)
ls (hd2,msdos2)

to see contents.

If you manage to boot to Suse (but then we would know what was the problem and fix it), install grub and update (with os-prober enabled). Even if Garuda is not properly set, you can use /boot/grub/custom.cfg with configfile, which will use garuda grub.cfg and whatever this has (snapshots).

You can, but I doubt (or don’t know) if it succeeds with garuda grub/btrfs, which is patched.

1 Like

First, check what I wrote in my previous post since I wasn’t allowed to post again for 14 hours. Garuda Grub with OpenSUSE - #21 by Redness360

I got tired of this, so I went ahead and chrooted into opensuse and installed grub. Garuda and OpenSuse working fine (I had to add /@ in front of the lines for garuda). I now have another question. Garuda takes qutie a while to boot, around 2 minutes to get to log in screen and then another 3-5 minutes for KDE to start. OpenSuse boots in 30 seconds with 15 seconds for KDE. Not to mention that opensuse is snappy right after boot, garuda is not for a while. Sure I installed a few programs in garuda but still opensuse is by no means a light OS, it has most of the programs that came with garuda (garuda was slow even at the start) like libreoffice, okular, etc.

Anyway back to grub.

So I copy the garuda.cfg and put it in /boot/grub/custom.cfg for opensuse?

Please mark tho post what solved the problem.

New Problem, new thread, please :slight_smile:

systemd-analyze blame

SSD is fast on my old system

systemd-analyze      
Startup finished in 16.237s (firmware) + 6.235s (loader) + 2.477s (kernel) + 4.535s (userspace) = 29.485s 
graphical.target reached after 4.535s in userspace

graphical.target reached after 4.535s

So look in systemd-analyze blame why boot is slow.

Sorry, will open new thread next time.

Confirmed, snap is garbage. I added it just in case some programs work better on snap, but I’m going to remove it now.

1min 7.990s snapd.service                                                                  >
    45.197s nmb.service                                                                    >
    34.890s lvm2-monitor.service                                                           >
    34.399s dev-sdd1.device                                                                >
    30.199s systemd-remount-fs.service                                                     >
    30.160s systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service                                                 >
    20.693s key-mapper.service                                                             >
    13.067s upower.service                                                                 >
    12.904s cpupower-gui.service                                                           >
    12.846s systemd-vconsole-setup.service                                                 >
    10.775s systemd-journal-flush.service                                                  >
    10.619s cups.service                                                                   >
     9.039s ldconfig.service                                                               >
     8.256s NetworkManager-wait-online.service                                             >
     5.392s ModemManager.service                                                           >
     5.254s NetworkManager.service                                                         >
     4.389s polkit.service                                                                 >
     3.869s [email protected]                                                              >
     3.728s avahi-daemon.service                                                           >
     3.715s cpupower-gui-helper.service                                                    >
     3.609s systemd-logind.service                                                         >
     3.609s thermald.service                                                               >
     3.357s ananicy.service                                                                >
     3.043s dev-loop3.device                                                               >
     2.841s dev-loop9.device                                                               >
     2.825s systemd-guest-user.service                                                     >
     2.531s dev-loop6.device                                                               >
     2.440s zramswap.service                                                               >
     2.421s dev-loop4.device                                                               >
     2.353s snap-snapd-10707.mount                                                         >
     2.351s dev-loop1.device                                                               >
     2.231s dev-loop0.device                                                               >
     2.227s snap-gnome\x2d3\x2d28\x2d1804-145.mount                                        >
     2.128s systemd-modules-load.service                                                   >
     2.086s udisks2.service                                                                >
     2.062s snap-spotify-43.mount                                                          >
     1.970s snap-rambox-16.mount                                                           >
     1.939s snap-snapd-11036.mount                                                         >
     1.923s snap-core18-1988.mount                                                         >
     1.880s snap-core18-1944.mount                                                         >
     1.857s dev-loop5.device                                                               >
     1.843s snap-gtk\x2dcommon\x2dthemes-1514.mount                                        >
     1.838s dev-loop7.device                                                               >
     1.838s snap-core20-904.mount                                                          >
     1.776s dev-loop8.device                                                               >
     1.680s snap-gnome\x2dmines-288.mount                                                  >
     1.416s smb.service                                                                    >
     1.331s var-cache.mount                                                                >
     1.133s systemd-guest-config.service                                                   >
     1.093s systemd-journal-catalog-update.service                                         >
     1.005s systemd-udevd.service                                                          >
      902ms plymouth-start.service                                                         >
      895ms home.mount                                                                     >
      860ms var-log.mount                                                                  >
      786ms var-tmp.mount                                                                  >
      757ms systemd-binfmt.service                                                         >
      754ms systemd-udev-trigger.service                                                   >
      707ms root.mount                                                                     >
      704ms [email protected]                                                          >
      614ms sys-kernel-tracing.mount                                                       >
      599ms sys-kernel-debug.mount                                                         >
      587ms systemd-sysusers.service                                                       >
      539ms systemd-random-seed.service                                                    >
      523ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                                                 >
      507ms plymouth-read-write.service                                                    >
      465ms sys-kernel-config.mount                                                        >
      419ms systemd-user-sessions.service                                                  >
      326ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-34fed22a\x2d0e5a\x2d4edf\x2dbd0e\x2d398c33d60b>
      296ms dev-hugepages.mount                                                            >
      295ms dev-mqueue.mount                                                               >
      293ms tmp.mount                                                                      >
      237ms systemd-sysctl.service                                                         >
      223ms systemd-update-utmp.service                                                    >
      196ms systemd-journald.service                                                       >
      180ms colord.service                                                                 >
      158ms [email protected]                                                  >
      111ms srv.mount                                                                      >
       97ms systemd-update-done.service                                                    >
       94ms systemd-timesyncd.service                                                      >
       89ms [email protected]                                                           >
       63ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service                                             >
       54ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount                                                  >
       22ms plymouth-deactivate.service                                                    >
       20ms plymouth-quit-wait.service                                                     >
       18ms plymouth-quit.service                                                          >
       16ms kmod-static-nodes.service                                                      >
       14ms [email protected]                                                      >
        8ms [email protected]                                               >
        8ms home-guest.mount                                                               >
        7ms dev-loop2.device                                                               >
        2ms rtkit-daemon.service                                                           >
        1ms snapd.socket                                                                   >
        1ms proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount

Back to this question

Not the whole grub.cfg.
You only need one menu entry, with 3 things:

menuentry 'Garuda' --class garuda --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-34fed22a-0e5a-4edf-bd0e-398c33d60bda' {

#insmod <fs_modules>
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod btrfs

#set root with search
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 34fed22a-0e5a-4edf-bd0e-398c33d60bda

# get and boot config_file
configfile /@/boot/grub/grub.cfg

}

If UUID is changed in the future, don’t forget to update it in this file.

1 Like

:+1:

Quick question (sorry for being off-topic again), but why does garuda require snapd.

The real Depends of assistant is

depends=('qt5-base' 'xdg-utils' 'polkit' 'alacritty' 'micro' 'reflector-simple' 'hblock' 'xorg-xdpyinfo' 'pace' 'pamac')

Maybe your pamac version draws in those. There are other versions, though IDK if they are different.
Check AUR relevant packages PKGBUILDs to see.

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s a dependency of pamac-all ?

2 Likes

Hmm pamac-all says

if [ "${ENABLE_SNAPD}" = 1 ]; then
  depends+=('snapd' 'snapd-glib')
  define_meson+=' -Denable-snap=true'
  provides+=('pamac-snap-plugin')
  conflicts+=('pamac-snap-plugin')

But I have snap disabled in the settings…
Anyway I tried your solution for grub

With no luck, maybe I did something wrong but using the menu entry would just take me back to the main page (I think there was an error message, but I forgot it, so I will try it again later).

Pamac’s GUI settings aren’t related to the pamac-all package dependencies.

Doesn't it say
if enable snapd = 1
add: depends on snap d

In the packaging source file, yes. That determines the package options. You can check the end result with e.g.

pacman -Si pamac-all
1 Like

This will help find the solution.
Maybe it needs this before configfile command.

set prefix=/@/boot/grub

I suggest you test the method live, in grub prompt, to see what works for sure.
The error responses are important.
Thanks for contributing :+1:

1 Like

Sorry, there was no error message. I remembered wrong. Your fix didn't work either. I ran the commands in grub CLI and once again the problem was in setting the root. The search command runs just fine without --set=root but fails when I add it back in (finishes instantly, root did not change at all).

How did you confirm?
Used ls or echo $root ?
But it doesn’t make sense.
You know there is no feedback from that command.

2 Likes

I used ls to check if root changed

Nope, no feedback whatsoever. I just know it didn’t work properly because without --set the command took ~15-30 seconds but with --set it was basically instant.

Late to this thread - but what about putting rEFInd in the mix? Let each system generate its OWN grub, with os-prober disabled (preferably), and choose the grub you wish to boot from.

Of course, I'm just too lazy to fight with grub when it won't work right :grin:

1 Like

I'm not sure if it was clear, but I cannot use UEFI, only BIOS.

It was assumed from grub menu entry contents :wink:

For UEFI it would also have
insmod part_gpt

1 Like