Another imager option

Just a thought I would welcome views on.

I use Rpi-Imager (in the AUR), as it has an erase function, to format SD Cards, USB drives to FAT32 - I've even used on a M.2 240Gb drive.

Erase is found in the 'Choose OS' list, to be followed by Garuda (obviously!), chosen under the 'Use Custom'.

I'm wondering if this would help potential users who find problems with Balena Etcher or are not wanting, or not confident to use DD.

What are your thoughts as an extra tool in the box ?

4 Likes

Just installed.

Of course, I cannot answer for those for whom this request is intended.
Personally, I prefer "Suse Studio Imagewriter". Just drag & drop with always the same thumb drive. So far there have never been any problems.

4 Likes

I use that on my pi because it's the only one that works on ARM.

I think the main difficulty is having one that works reliably under Windows (there's basically Rufus and Etcher).

Once you're using Linux there are many more options for this.

4 Likes

Agreed - it does come in a Windoze flavour which worked quite well for me, until I went into rehab and kicked my disgusting, anti-social habit :rofl:

3 Likes

Just..

Windows does not have an etcher in its on-board tools, how embarrassing!
So one has to be downloaded. After doing some research, some are available. The No. 1 on offer is Rufus. I also used it for Linux. In Linux I use "suse image". Etching can be that easy.

2 Likes

Rufus is reported as problematic - members will confirm (?)

Personally, I have experienced problems with Balena Etcher and existing partitions not being wiped, during flashing.

Hence another option might be useful.

5 Likes

Basically
Please don't hate Windows. Windows also has a right to life.
You may despise Windows, in principle I do too. Please never hate, it only hurts you.

1 Like

I don't hate - it is self-harming. I just choose to no longer use Windoze, where you got that 'hate' impression from, I don't know, I was using humour :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That was not meant personally, I apologize.

I read and understand and appreciate your statements and I will never accuse you of "hate". It should be generally related. So be basically.

I apologize.

2 Likes

No need - let's just agree ! :heart:

2 Likes

I Agree :heart:

2 Likes

I use ventoy and can boot multiple ISOs from same USB. Currently have EndeavourOS, MX KDE, Garuda Barebones, Debian Testing, Linux Lite, Mint and KDE Neon. All boots without a problem. Simple copy and paste for the ISOs, so no hassle. Amazing tool.

4 Likes

Thanks for the information. Just downloaded.

2 Likes

Another similar project is in Tutorials :wink:

3 Likes

Originally, my intent was to find a reliable windoze utility, to help those noobs having problems, but I am learning a lot of useful stuff, so keep it coming guys!

2 Likes

I second Suse Imagewriter if on Linux.

Doesn't Windows now contain some pathetic form of faux Linux terminal support. Can you not use the dd command in the Windows environment with their knock off Linux implementation. I have no experience with that on Windows and likely never will, at least until I die. As I have it on good authority that Windows is forced upon all Linux users for an eternity in Hell.

Could there be anything more horrific?

:rofl:

3 Likes

They have slipped some code - obviously with trackers which report back to Redmond - in Raspian for some. :scream:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/heads-up-microsoft-repo-secretly-installed-on-all-raspberry-pis-linux-os/

2 Likes

Well, personally, I am going to heaven with the many virgins :smiley: .
There is also a pretty vanilla ice, um arch for everyone there.

I will watch you from up there always benevolently what you do with M$.

* By the way, I am the most honest person in the world when I am not telling fibs.
3 Likes

Do not worry. Hell has long been booked up. We all go to heaven ...

2 Likes