Which laptop would be better?

I’m looking for a smaller laptop…

Cuz I have the work one on windows 11(quite a weird distro, ngl even arch is more stable than it, especially now I’ll have to not update it forcefully for 2 weeks, bcz bugs in windows updates) and the other one is far to big and heavy to carry it around is both a windows 10 backup laptop and it runs endeavour os from an external ssd.

I found some sites that sell second hand and refurbished laptops.

And I could order one in a few months when I’ll save up some bucks…

I’m not sure which one would do better, here’s what’s on my list for now:

Depends on your needs.

The Dell is Intel 6th Gen CPU. Only 12,5" but FHD display and DDR4 RAM. The HP Pro 1600x900 display but with the oldest CPU of the three. It´s from 4th Gen Intel. The HP 840 G2 has 5th Gen CPU but display resolution is only 1366x768. Both DDR3 RAM.
If you can live with 12,5" display i would take the Dell. Second place HP Pro which is allover better than HP 840.

1 Like

I agree with this but be cautious of the touch screen. My 4th Gen Dell laptop had one (which I find useless), but the laptop hinges were defective and, guess what, Dell’s warranty excluded that item, even though it was new and less than a year old, well within their normal warranty period.

Does that mean it’s bad? Probably not. Mine was 4th Gen, this is 6th; they’ve had a while to secure their hinges. But I would ask the seller what the hinge/screen warranty covers.

Otherwise, I trust Dell. We have bought Dell since my old IBM 55sx kicked the bucket. I’m replying on a 9th Gen Dell desktop. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, my own anecdotal experience is that Linux compatibility is way better on Dell devices than on HP devices. If it is a Dell there is a good chance everything will “just work”. Dell products are typically not that exciting, but honestly I’ll take reliability any day.

HP on Linux can be a bit of a crap shoot–sometimes things work fine, sometimes they do not work and there is nothing you can do about it because HP will just smile and tell you to go pound sand.

Probably you will want to stick to a fairly minimal DE with modestly-spec’d rigs like these. For example, you can for sure run XFCE on any one of those laptops. If you are interested, check out @Colin’s setup guide here:

7 Likes

I think you should be able to run KDE Plasma 5 or 6 without any problem on the Dell.

• 6th Gen Intel CPU
  • Intel 620 HD graphics
  • 8GB RAM
  • SSD SATA Drive

Not at all!
:smiley:

EDIT: Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I just noticed the Dell can come with Ubuntu pre-installed. That alone is a great indicator of hardware compatibility but…

I don’t see any mention of WiFi/Bluetooth!!!

4 Likes

Hmm, had no idea that dell could be so good with Linux, thanks a lot for the review

Even if this product won’t be able in the store later, I’d buy another dell later

I’ll probably make another post before making the order…

I imagined that HP was ok with Linux, but it doesn’t seem like so

Thanks for explaining

Usefull hint. Don´t know much detailed things about Dells because mostly we use Lenovo.

For sure. Running Garuda KDE Light on a T430. 3rd Gen CPU, Intel HD 4000 Graphics, 16 GB RAM and SATA SSD and disabled Nvidia Optimus NVS 5400 in BIOS. Working like a charme.
Still having a T400 from 2008 with Core2Duo P8400 and Intel GM45. 8GB RAM and SSD. I´ll give it a try on Garuda KDE Light in the near future.

I can confirm this. Few friends bought HP Windows machines and asked me to put Linux on them. Sometimes it´s easy but often you need to spend few hours to get it work and some machines won´t let you do it.

1 Like

Lenovo ThinkPad T480

This article covers the installation and configuration of Arch Linux on a Lenovo T480 laptop. Everything seems to work pretty much out the box.

4 Likes

The only thing I kinda found at the cheap shop is this

https://www.pchouse.ro/lenovo-thinkpad-x270-125-full-hd-core-i5-6300u-pana-la-300ghz-8gb-ddr4-256gb-ssd-m2-webcam-laptop-refurbished.html

Are ThinkPad X series good ?

They seem to be far more abundant, almost each store that sells refurbished products have one either x T or L series

From what I’ve read the x270 isn’t the world’s fastest laptop, but it’s got one heck of a good battery life through its use of two batteries.

I forgot about this. Go to the bottom of this article. The lifespan of Thinkpad batteries can be improved with TLPUI by not allowing them to fully charge and discharge.

2 Likes

I saw so many great reviews of Lenovo laptops I’ve ended up buying one as a secondary laptop. I’m going to replace Win11 which is on it :nauseated_face: with Garuda Xfce. I’m wondering if Garuda Xfce will have any problems working with TLP because it can charge two Thinkpad batteries to a predetermined level [e.g. 80%] to prevent overchanging, thus hopefully increasing the battery life.

I am wondering if TLP will cause conflicts on a new Xfce install.

1 Like

TLP should work without issue on XFCE. Some finagling is required for DEs that use power-profiles-daemon by default (namely, it must be removed or disabled first), but XFCE does not. I would expect it to “just work”.

1 Like

That has put my mind at ease. Many thanks.

1 Like