What do you think about Mozilla now?

That was helpful. mark this as solution anyone.

1 Like

Also libre in the garuda firefox config the spy things are turned off and not manually overridable right?

3 Likes

Decided to try ungoogled-chromium out instead of librewolf today, I tried staying outside of chromium-based browsers specially because of the netflix-1080p extension, which works out of the box perfectly on firefox but not nearly as easily on chromium

Took a lot of work to install all the extensions I like and to make widevine and the extension work, but now that everything works, DAMN IT'S GOOD.

2 Likes

I would really like to know how you got widevine to work. That is the last piece of my puzzle.

1 Like

oh I just installed chromium-widevine from the repos and relaunched the browser

I have done the same. It doesn't show up in my extensions of ungoogled-chromium. How can you confirm the extension was installed for the ungoogled-chromium?

it's not in the extensions tab, you need to go to chrome://components and check if the widevine version is anything other than 0.0.0.0, you can find more info in the ungoogled chromium wiki

1 Like

You are correct widevine is there. Thanks

1 Like

there was an request how to watch netflix in 1080p on other threads if you bring it up for others it whould be nice

1 Like

the only one I could find was about amazon prime in 1080p and that one is a no-go, netflix is the only one we can force 1080p playback on linux, if I remeber correctly

Thanks for the ungoogled-chromium suggestions.

Can anyone add if it's just chromium with a different default search engine, or are there other optimizations that seperate it from chromium?

Cheers,
GM

4 Likes

Maybe the solution is in the name from this web browser.

4 Likes

Right, I guess no better way to find out that to install it and kick the tires. :ghost:

https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

4 Likes

When I first installed it, I quckly checked deviceinfo.me and was surprised by how little can be known about my device compared to customized firefox. It surely enhances privacy in a lot of ways.

I just saw a video in which it explained a research paper on these browsers on default config. weirdly enough firefox came out in the mid tier and brave alone in the top tier. the video is by censiclick if you want to have a look. Although it is to be noted that the study only focused on a very limited part of the browsers.

4 Likes

the extension is called Netflix - Higher Qualtiy

1 Like

actually please dont download that extension through the chrome web store, as all of them are extremely out of date and they took down the ones that were being updated, the latest one I could find, with also some other useful features like forcing h.264 playback are on this one:

2 Likes

Actually, I would use ungoogled-chromium with extensions. Unfortunately, my experience is that you need a Google account now to install Chrome extensions. IMO, that's counter-intuitive.

GM

1 Like

There is an extension downloader for chromium.

4 Likes