What do you think about Mozilla now?

Yep, I use both. But Firefox is double-forked for me in form of Icecat and Tor browser

not gonna lie, I think mozilla's not entirely wrong in this, but I did just move to librewolf because it works a little better for me

2 Likes

Oh, about that...

Surprised as in an Ostritch that’s just pulled it’s head out of the sand kind of surprised?

This isn’t surprising in the least. Brave is a total scam and anyone who is even remotely concerned about their privacy has known about Brave’s bogus claims for years. One of the worst of the worst IMO.

1 Like

I remember when Luke Smith and Mental Outlaw both recommended this browser, and at this point I already knew that it does some spooky things :neutral_face:

I know brave is not good at privacy, but I was surprised by the Spyware Level of both Firefox and Brave...I thought it could be low or medium at max...

1 Like

I read your link. The news is bleak, to say the least. For now I'm installing LibreWolf.

Looking forward to ungoogled-chromium. . . any update on the repos here? (sorry if I missed it somewhere). I've always used the garuda repos for it since building from binaries takes so long I have to update again before it finishes.

ungoogled-chromium is in chaotic. I'm using it right now.

It's up again!! YESSSS. Now I can officially be part of the Garuda community!

My other computer is up and running it already and it wouldn't update the other day. If there's a thread or something where I will need to update an old installation if someone could link, that would make my life easier. Otherwise, I'll do some searching again later today or tomorrow morning with coffee.

Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Recently ran across this topic & posted the actual Mozilla Tweet at the Endeavor forum (my most recent distro). Unfortunately, the moderator deleted the thread as a forum violation. So, glad to see it brought to attention here on Garuda's forum.

Likely feeling the pressure from upstream revenue sources, but fortunately, the source code is open. Will also keep an interest in the comments here.

GM

1 Like

Not going to talk bad about Endeavour OS but I still wonder how this is forum violation? :thinking:
I think its important to bring this to peoples attention so its great that we have this discussion going on here! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right, dr460nf1r3 ... it's an interesting topic & glad it was posted.

GM

1 Like

I think that the posting of the tweet was not the problem, but that ity surfaced in a thread that was out-of-hand in the first place. So - and over-reaction by a mod caused an over-reaction by the poster (AFAIK). It seems like the whole world sees one comment, and infers WAY too much from it. I'll check it out if the thought makes it into the code - not before....

1 Like

I am so glad that this was posted here. I have switched to ungoogled-chromium and librewolf. I don't have a preference about which is better.

Extensions for chromium were a little hard at first untill I found out you can install the webstore from github, after that its all easy. The only problem I can see so far is that extensions will not automatically be upgraded. The icon fits in well with the dragonized version.

Addons for librewolf are much easier to install, as they work right from mozilla. I think these addons will update on their own. Perhaps Garuda may switch to this browser in the future. The icon doens't fit well with the dragonized theme. It is also missing the top left buttons to close, max/minimize.

1 Like

Switched from Brave to Ungoogled Chromium... :innocent:

Well, I think we should have to start a new Topic / Thread about privacy or security, where everyone will share their ideas, experience, or knowledge on what browser/software/settings we use, just like this Mozilla topic...because not everyone including me knows all about this...

2 Likes

I will name it "THE big thread about security", as I already created "THE big thread about performance" :grin:

The extension will notify about new updates of addons, clicking on them takes you to the chrome webstore were you can install them. Thats quite acceptable imo.

You gotta activate the titlebar at the “customize” option to have this working properly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can any one of you guys list all the privacy and security pitfalls of whatever browsers you guys discussed about here so newbies(including me) can have a quick tldr.

2 Likes

Well, it's hard to do that quickly. But overall everything is discussed in this and this articles. Ah, and this one is also good for two out of five remained firefox browsers.

1 Like