Well this post is just for curiosity 😁 | Can I have multiple repositories of any kind?

I guess I’m not really 100% clear on what you’re asking here?

Generally speaking, besides maybe Gentoo’s approach, Arch with the AUR probably has the widest selection of packages (more accurately pkgbuilds) in a single location, although AUR packages are not binaries and must be built from source. Adding in the Chaotic AUR, you probably now have the widest selection of pre-built binaries as well. On top of this Arch does support adding external repositories, and Arch-based distros that don’t come with the AUR enabled still support doing so. You may want to have a read of this Archwiki page if you’d like to get a better understanding of package management, both on Arch and in general.

This may be the closest you can come to that, but I’ve never used it. Honestly, I don’t see the need - Arch offers more software than literally anyone could ever need, and even if I find a package that’s not in another Arch repo or the AUR, I can just build it from source anyway. Not to mention that trying to make assorted distro stuff play nice together just sounds like a headache, however good the tools are.

Again, not sure what you mean here, maybe I’m just missing something? To launch another OS from within a booted OS, you have to use virtualization of some kind as far as I’m aware. Fancy passthrough options are possible to make VMs run more natively, but this is not something I’ve looked into.

Well, Android-x86 is touchy and odd regardless, and at least last time I checked it wasn’t really recommended to run it on bare metal. I wouldn’t necessarily consider x86 “original Android” either - even if one considers mainline Android to be a “Linux distro” (which, kind of) it’s an ARM-native platform. Your best solution here is probably going to still be a virtual machine, or depending on what you actually want to test something like Anbox or Waydroid could be better.

Just run Garuda :wink: More seriously, it’s probably better to just find one distro that works for you. If what you need is the widest selection of software, Arch is probably the way you want to go, unless you are prepared to install Gentoo. Neither are really recommended for “noobs” as you say, but taking the time to actually install Arch yourself will teach you a LOT about Linux. You will hit snags, hiccups, etc along this process, and if you need a working machine every day you should probably give it a couple shots in a VM. I’ve never run across any software I needed that I couldn’t either build from the AUR or from source directly.

Virtualization is an extremely powerful and useful tool once you get a little more familiarity with it, and you can certainly back up configs from one if you wish to apply them to another of the same OS. It’s even possible to allow VM’s to access a shared folder on your hard drive, and with the right hardware and a little work they can even use some components of your machine directly.

Unfortunately not. It’s not a matter of drivers at that point. Mobile devices are usually ARM chipsets, desktops are usually not. Things built for one architecture will not run on another. In the case of Android specifically, running packages (.apk’s in this case) is achievable via Anbox and related tools like I mentioned above, but otherwise mostly no.

Last But Not Least

I respect your curiosity. Linux and the world of free and open source software is a wonderful place to be, and a perpetual learning experience. There are a lot of resources available for you if you want to know more, just be prepared for some reading. This guide if very good if you need help looking for something in particular, and I can’t recommend it enough.

Garuda linux is a small community, and while it offers a very easy install process and a lot of useful tools, it is still Arch which means it’s going to involve much of the same experiences. Forums like this one, and generally for Arch-derivatives in general, are not always friendly to noobs, especially if you come off as not having done your own research. I hope you don’t let this discourage you. As long as you’re thoughtful, ask good questions, and do your own work ahead of time, you’ll find many who are happy to help!

I, for one, am always happy to show people around. If you have more questions on this topic (and the mods decide this thread is cool // in the right place) feel free to ask. If you’re curious about other stuff, you’re also welcome to shoot me a direct message here. :peace_symbol:

EDIT: guess I may have been a little off base with a couple things here as per Naman’s reply. Hope this is helpful anyway!

3 Likes