User introductions

Hola, soy nuevo en Garuda, vengo de Debian, espero encontrar amigos, y aprender a utilizar al máximo Garuda Linux. Solo quiero ayudar y que me ayudéis. Gracias por vuestro trabajo. Saludos para todos y todas.
Manuel

3 Likes

Bienvenido al foro de Garuda Linux :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Long time UNIX and Linux user. For Linux I've mainly been around Ubuntu based distros (and mostly Mint) for the last 8 years or so, but did play with Mandrake Linux in the early 2000's! A friend pushed me to try Manjaro last year (and I was bored during the pandemic quarantine, so why not). After getting used to an Arch type distro, I really liked it over Debian based and wanted to get closer to Arch (but not build one from the ground up). Played with RebornOS and EndeavourOS (which I still run on a home media server for now) and then heard about Garuda (Dr460nized) and decided to put it on a HP Laptop I had laying around. All I can say is this distro ROCKS! I did find tips on things to change for laptops, and it is super smooth now (just installing TLP made a world of difference from the base install for me). Thanks for the hard work that has went into this distro. No plans to distro hop again anytime soon.

4 Likes

Hello! I've been using Ubuntu-flavored distros for the last few years, mostly out of laziness. In 2011-13 I explored Arch and settled on CrunchBang.

I just wanted to start out neighborly here because this forum has a "community" feel to it vs the arch-centric forums typically found. If you've ever asked a noob question in a typical arch forum, can I hear an Amen?! :smile:

James

4 Likes

Hello, I first saw your disro about 6 months . Was impressed with the YouTube video that described and the did a walkthrough on it.
Look s great.

F’nor

1 Like

Hello,
First and foremost this is a thank you reply, this seemed as the right topic to post this on. This is the first GNU/linux OS install that found my nvme drive. I had tried many others, arch,openSUSE,ubuntu. And different solutions to no avail. If possible I want to know if there are any tweaks in the installer that made this possible, or I'm just luck this time?
Anyway, thank you devs!

System:    Kernel: 5.14.13-zen1-1-zen x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0
parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/@/boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen root=UUID=a51aaad5-2300-4345-a542-d5bbd79d5190 rw
rootflags=subvol=@ quiet splash rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0
systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 loglevel=3
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.23.1 tk: Qt 5.15.2 info: latte-dock wm: kwin_x11 vt: 1 dm: SDDM Distro: Garuda Linux
base: Arch Linux
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: G3 3590 v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter>
Mobo: Dell model: 0GDFK2 v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 1.8.0 date: 11/11/2019
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 38.2 Wh (99.5%) condition: 38.4/51.0 Wh (75.3%) volts: 12.7 min: 11.4 model: SMP DELL PN1VN96
type: Li-poly serial: <filter> status: Charging
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-9300H bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake note: check family: 6
model-id: 9E (158) stepping: A (10) microcode: EA cache: L2: 8 MiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 38400
Speed: 2307 MHz min/max: 800/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2307 2: 2400 3: 2400 4: 2400 5: 2400 6: 2401 7: 2400
8: 2400
Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: VMX disabled
Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable
Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI
Type: spec_store_bypass mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling
Type: srbds mitigation: Microcode
Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 0000:00:02.0
chip-ID: 8086:3e9b class-ID: 0300
Device-2: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] vendor: Dell driver: nvidia v: 470.74
alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm bus-ID: 0000:01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1f91 class-ID: 0300
Device-3: Realtek Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-5:4 chip-ID: 0bda:5521 class-ID: 0e02
serial: <filter>
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: loaded: intel,nvidia unloaded: modesetting,nouveau
alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa display-ID: :0 screens: 1
Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 75 s-size: 652x366mm (25.7x14.4") s-diag: 748mm (29.4")
Monitor-1: eDP1 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 143 size: 340x190mm (13.4x7.5") diag: 389mm (15.3")
OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.74 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Dell driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl
alternate: snd_hda_intel,snd_soc_skl,snd_sof_pci_intel_cnl bus-ID: 0000:00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a348 class-ID: 0401
Device-2: NVIDIA vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 0000:01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:10fa
class-ID: 0403
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.14.13-zen1-1-zen running: yes
Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.19 running: no
Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: no
Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.38 running: yes
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000
bus-ID: 0000:02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus-ID: 0000:03:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:2723 class-ID: 0280
IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Bluetooth: Device-1: Intel AX200 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 1-14:5 chip-ID: 8087:0029 class-ID: e001
Report: bt-adapter ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: down bt-service: enabled,running rfk-block: hardware: no software: no
address: <filter>
1 Like

Welcome :slight_smile:

it's only magic, Garuda magic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi There, I am Joshua and I am new to The Garuda Community. I am currently changing from Elementary OS since I had it for the Last 2 months. I am a distro hopper. I am new to Linux. I have been using Linux since 1997 when Redhat was redhat and everyone can download it. I have heard about Arch Linux distributions and I was listening to a podcast. Someone mentioned Garuda and I felled in love with the eye candy. I downloaded Garuda on a USB like a year ago and now I am planning to give Garuda a try. Wish me well. :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice to have you here. Welcome to the forum.

G'day everybody,

My name is Sam and I am also new to Garuda Linux and Arch Linux for that matter. I have been using Linux Mint for the past few years, but I recently got myself a new graphics card (RX 550 to RX 6600) and I wanted a better experience with the new hardware. I am 19 years old and I live in New Zealand. I am a Linux gamer and I have been a Linux user ever since I got myself a Raspberry Pi in high school. I discovered this distro and I have been hooked on the KDE Dragonized Sweet look and especially the wobbly windows. Thank you for making such an amazing gaming centric distro and I love the tools available through Garuda Gamer.

I hope I can be an active member of the Garuda community.
Cheers,
Sam

4 Likes

Love your name. :laughing:

1 Like

G'day Sam no. 1, how's the frozen north of the Commonweath treating ya :cold_face: ?

1 Like

Watching the snow come down and playing with a new install tonight. Decided to give Wayland a go.

2 Likes

Hi, this is a bit overdue, but here goes.

My name is Bent and I'm 42.
I'm from Denmark, been using Linux since - tbh, can't remember -, used windows a lot because it supported anti-cheat (Linux hopefully will be able to do that somewhat soonish :crossed_fingers:)

I've always liked Linux, not loved it, because of all the mud the other forums had in them.
(Maybe I was just very unlucky)
As I've been on this forum for just a couple of days, my love for Linux has skyrocketed.
Can only say, Linux is one part, but the community is a lot of it, if the community is a bunch of elitists jerks, then it's not fun using Linux.

So, sincerely thank you for having me.

Some users may encounter what they consider "elitist jerks" here. However, that is generally not an impession that happens very frequently.

What you will find on the Garuda forum is the user is expected to research thoroughly before opening a help request. As long the user is not playing at being a helpless victim or overly entitled they usually receive excellent support on our forum. As long as users demonstrate that they are capable of using a search engine they will usually have a great experience on our forum. We do have a higher expectation for user self sufficiency and less tolerance of help vampirism on our forum than other Linux beginner distros. Being an Arch based distro we expect our users to avail themselves of the information on the Arch Wiki before opening a help request. In that respect we are similar to Arch. Although we are generally far more friendly and tolerant here than the Arch forum .

I hope you continue to enjoy what Garuda has to offer, and welcome to the Garuda forum.

4 Likes

I suppose an introduction is in order since it looks like I'm here to stay.

I'm old, cranky...hmm that kinda sums it up. Coding since mid 1980's. BeOS was my true love. I used to love doing things, now I'm tired of fixing crap and doing everything myself. Age has almost made me an candidate for Apple "style" things where it just works...but Apple is evil and their stuff doesn't "just work." What it does do is treat you like an idiot/baby so it only works for what they want...I mentioned I'm cranky right?

After my BSD/BeOS years I moved to/back to Win2000/XP for a long time. Then to Ubuntu. When Ubuntu ditched gnome2...I ditched flat Ubuntu and moved to LUbuntu. When LXDE pulled the same crap gnome2/Mate did (nuked user defined UI colors) I moved to XFCE...and I'm still with XFCE but it's been breaking more and more over the last few years. Everything is broken for Multi-GPU now which has me being cranky at rather than doing what I should be constantly cobbling fixes together. Once I was excited for updates...now I'm like oh crap what did they break now!?...cranky.

On that note I suspect everything is once again broken due to bad transitional ideas for Wayland and Pipewire. Garuda is the one distro that has worked for me (kinda [XFCE is still seriously broken]).

While I'd like to think myself capable and technically proficient I think years and apathy have made me more qualified for nuclear style rants than much else.

2 Likes

@ORlyMon people suck and they are everywhere :wink: I know I'm one of them :wink: (zing!) BeOS had a great community. When I first started with Linux (maybe early/mid 1990's) the 'RTFM YOU ■■■■■■■ NOOB' replies were in full force. It was a terrible time as the man pages were often...terrible. Obscure explanations using positional logic that you only understood if you already knew the thing you were trying to figure out. When you asked for help...RTFM YOU...

It's great things are better these days but now the new equivalent of the RTFM is silence. I find too many years where you'd research something, come up dry and ask for help on the appropriate forums only to be met with crickets. I've not spent a ton of time on here but the Arch docs are pretty top notch (try looking up crap for Ubuntu and you are likely to find docs from 10-12 years ago with no relevance or upkeep) and the Garuda community seems pretty good.

1 Like

You’ll fit right in here. :rofl:

Again, you’ll fit right in here. Sounds like you were born to use Garuda.

Welcome.

3 Likes

Hello!
I'm a chemical engineer from Latvia, who recently discovered the beauty of Linux.
My nick is a name of a Latvian poet. As a nick i started using it during my days of DOTA 2 playing.

A few years ago, after a Windows update, my laptop just died in the middle of my studies. It would blue-screen every 5-15minutes. I didn't have money to buy new laptop straight away, so as a last hope, i decided to install Linux. Turns out, my Aspire E5-575G was a fighter and didn't want to die. 2 years later I'm still using the same laptop. And I am using only Linux from that moment, because it is something i can rely on.

I first started with ubuntu, took some time to relearn things from windows, but after i got comfortable, i noticed that it's not only boring, but kind of inconvenient. IMMO APT is not very good, sticking hundreds of PPA's on your system seems questionable at best. Full version upgrade of a system didn't work, although i tried it 3 times. 2 times bricking the whole installation.

I wen distro shopping, and came to conclusion that Arch is the king. But setting up Arch from scratch was kinda pointless, im not knowledgable enough to get every package right, I'm lazy enough that i want some autoconfig tools and gui tools. So why not use some arch derivaative which has been already configured.

So started my journey with Manjaro. I must say that is a very good distro, had 0 problems with it. Even was kinda bored, because there wasn't much for me to tinker with. What i disliked was possibility of delayed updates braking AUR (although it never happened), i disliked that most instructions come from Arch wiki, yet some come from Manjaro wiki, and there is no clear sign, when you should go where. And some Manjaro stuff isn't compatible with ARchwiki teachings.

So i decided to go closer to pure Arch. I was shopping around and decided to give Garuda a chance. I was afraid a bit, as it's a relatively new distro. But what sold me- it's very close to pure Arch, if things go wrong, i can always repair it. It is gaming optimised- i haven't explored all things, but preinstalled proton-GE is very nice. In general, i feel UI might be a bit more cluttered, but a lot of very convenient things are present, which i love! Last but not least, btrfs with snaper out of the box is the best thing ever.

I even switched my cousin to Garuda, although he didn't like the looks of dragonized one, so i set barebones up for him.

Wish you all good luck with your Linux journeys!

5 Likes

I was just able to successfully downgrade XFCE to 4.12 (back when it worked!) So I'm super happy, maybe less cranky...don't hold it against me! For a few extra cranky points the repo's didn't go far enough back in the 4.12 releases to where I could set my wallpapers correctly on other XScreens but I'll live. It's far more usable than 4.14/4.16. So far Garuda is treating me real good.