Update Super Fail (play.it?)

[Edit: you can jump forward all of my blab directly to the comment below where I actually got some real terminal feedback to work with]

Oh my saint, I'm still a little dizzy. I went to install the bitwarden app on the software centre and, ofc, I HAD to install some updates of the system and other stuff... well, it failed to retrieve something (idk what) and then everything was refusing to work except kde.
Tried to reboot, than I got a message "failed to found init, you're on your own now"
And now a BIG THANKS for the genius who did put the snapshots accessible from the grub because they SAVED MY ASS TODAY. THANK YOU !
But besides the fact that I was able restore the system, I still don't know what the what happened, I can give you all as many details as I can remember if you ask me, but I'm sorry to tell I don't remember much and I'm not trying to reproduce the error again 'cause my heart is not going to bare it.

I'm not sure now when I'll be update my system, but it'll be only when you experts say to me that it's safe to do so. T_T

Thanks for your attention!

Best bet is to use the software center for browse only. Update with

pacman -Syu

and install with

pacman -S software-name

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to restore from snapshot.

4 Likes

Is there a difference between Syu and the Software Center update? I didn't know that.
But thanks for the answer, I'm going to try that tomorrow when I'm a bit more calm : 3

Well, there shouldn't be, but I heard a lot of stories about pamac causing all sorts of messes. So I just stick to what's worked for me...

2 Likes

Well, guess you're right about it. I was a bit anxious and... decided to run Syu today just to check what would be the result and... well, this came back at me:

(164/164) checking keys in keyring                                  [-------------------------------------] 100%
(164/164) checking package integrity                                [-------------------------------------] 100%
(164/164) loading package files                                     [-------------------------------------] 100%
(164/164) checking for file conflicts                               [-------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'protobuf' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'bash' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'file' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'systemd' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'android-tools' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'btrfs-progs' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'md4c' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'glib2' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'qt5-wayland' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'python' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'citra-canary-git' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'lib32-glib2' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'dxvk-mingw-git' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'electron' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'haskell-aeson-pretty' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'haskell-citeproc' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'haskell-jira-wiki-markup' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'haskell-skylighting-core' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'hdparm' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'imagemagick' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'kcolorchooser' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'kdeconnect' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'kdialog' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'mpg123' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'libmwaw' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'libreoffice-still' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'libwnck3' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'mariadb-libs' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'npm' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'okular' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'openshadinglanguage' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'pandoc' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin/ exists in both 'play-emu-git' and 'play.it'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'powder-toy-git'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'qjackctl'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'rust'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'spirv-tools'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'shaderc'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'spectacle'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'systemd-sysvcompat'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'tor'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'torbrowser-launcher'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'vivaldi'
/usr/bin exists in both 'play.it' and 'vlc'
play.it: /usr/bin exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

And safe as it should, the system didn't even hintch at that. But now the question is, what the stuff is play.it and how the heck will I get rid of it?

1 Like

Try

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite=*
3 Likes

Thats definitely a good advice - amongst other things it has the advantage of getting you more comfortable with using the terminal, which is what you want to be doing in the long run as it can be way faster & easier to deal with a lot of stuff.
Btw, you could even just do it in one step:

sudo pacman -Syu *software name*

Iirc, play.it is a gaming platform. I would suggest to get rid of that first

sudo pacman -Rns play.it

and then try to update. Never seen an error like this before :grimacing:

3 Likes

Search and thou shalt find:

Packages shouldn’t be installing a file called /usr/bin, so this is an issue with the play.it package.

3 Likes

Okay, first of all, let me say the problem IS SOLVED! So thanks @zoeruda @naman @dr460nf1r3 and @jonathon you were all really awesome in helping a strangeer on the ne(s)t.

I figured that maybe trying to remove the package was a little bit more my level before trying to force an overwrite, and it actually worked!
After that, the Syu worked just fine, my Garuda is flying like the beast machine it should again! And I got one more trick up my sleeve now C=

Annnnd yeah, I know I should have searched a little bit more before everything, but I usually don't know the key words to get me to an answer and my brain wasn't working at 1 a.m. yeasterday.

But thanks for all the help!! I'll be doing my updates only by terminal from now on o7

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.