Update Issue this morning (File conflicts found plasma-desktop knetattach)

At about 5am this morning, I did my usual morning update using Discover. The update caused this error:

Update Issue

File conflicts found plasma-desktop knetattach (/usr/bin/knetattach), plasma-desktop knetattach (/usr/share/applications/org.kde.knetattach.desktop): conflicting files

What should I do?

gary

Never upgrade before 8 o'clock :slight_smile:
Use pacman :wink:
What is this knetattach :smiley: ?

1 Like

got a simillar error just now. in pacman

:: Replace knetattach with extra/plasma-desktop? [Y/n] n

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
plasma-desktop: /usr/bin/knetattach exists in filesystem (owned by knetattach)
plasma-desktop: /usr/share/applications/org.kde.knetattach.desktop exists in filesystem (owned by knetattach)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
1 Like

I'll be the guinea pig. . .

I just updated and rebooted. No ill effects on my Thinkpad on the LTS kernel.

5 Likes

I did too on my ryzen/polaris machine and so far so good.

1 Like

This is a KDE problem. Do you run KDE?

2 Likes

Yes sir. No ill effects on 5.4.87-1-lts Arch kernel on Plasma 5.20.5.

1 Like

When you get such a message during normal update, the suggested answer is always Yes, especially when the new owner of the package is a major DE.
I suppose they reorganized their packages.

6 Likes

I would also highly recommend when you have replacement packages, especially something as important as this, you should really log out and update in a TTY to minimize further chances of an issue.

5 Likes

Yes dragonized kde.

I'm rather the brute force type. I usually use a sledgehammer and bash away at any offending underlying packages that are causing problems.

But that's just me I wouldn't recommend you try this at home.

3 Likes

Good thing we happen to have timeshift snapshots just in case... :joy:

2 Likes

Well, plus I always have my drives backed up with redundant images anyways. I can't help I like swinging a big hammer. It's just an inbuilt guy thing that's hard to shake.

4 Likes

Funny, after starting an update I also got hit by this occurance :smiley:

1 Like

Timeshift. . . pff. Rookie. It’s way more fun to just yay and walk away. I come back with coffee and just see what happened. Luckily my Cinnamon setup is about as stable as a mountain goat, so I guess I do have a backup.

3 Likes

This issue has nothing to do with timeshift. The issue happens when we try to update our KDE systems. At the start, the issues happen and there is no choice. I am very interested if you have a solution to this issue.
gary

Which issue?
Replacement of packages is normal (=no issue).
If you answer Yes to replace (or Enter for the Default proposed by the packagers) and this creates a problem, then we look for a solution, in case the packagers missed something.

3 Likes

So, discover kept giving me this issue.
But when you try updating via pacman, you get an option to replace kneattach with extra/plasma-desktop. A Yes there allows the update.

3 Likes

Yes, that is the answer! I had figured that out this morning but was waiting to see if any one else would offer help. I used Pamac 10.0.-4 and it is crazy but it worked. you have a nice and safe day

gary

3 Likes