Timeshift-autosnap not working , and pacman is not installing anything

No, for installing system on.

But off course you can have external drives/ partition using ntfs.

3 Likes

The Linux ntfs-3g driver gives you full read-write NTFS support.

Please let me expand. If you have only one drive and you’re new to this stuff, you should probably select the red Erase option. Garuda needs it to be in BTRFS in order to fully function. Garuda is made for BTRFS. You’ll want to backup any data you want saved since the installer will completely overwrite that drive. If you’re an advanced user, you have more options.

If you have two (or more) drives, it gets more fun. A typical use-case is right here on this desktop machine of mine. It came with a small-ish (128 GB) SSD and a larger (1 TB) HDD, and since the small, fast SSD is more suited to contain an operating system versus the larger, slower HDD, I install the OS on it and my data on the HDD. The HDD can be formatted in any file system Linux supports, and there are many, including BTRFS and NTFS of course. I happen to use BTRFS on my HDD and make use of zstd compression & space_cache in fstab, which makes it fairly speedy. I symlink the data on the HDD to the Documents, Downloads, etc. folders on the SSD /home installation, and I’m good to go.

However I also need to configure the HDD in fstab after installing Garuda, since the installer is not configured to use more than one drive.

regards

5 Likes

I am also running into this problem, however, this is not an issue of not finding the system drive per say. I'm also using a NVME Drive, and have recently did a system update, I went to update another package after system was updated, and Timeshift fails to find the drive in question. It is also not just happening on Garuda, as base Arch users are having the same issues, by this bug report here against Timeshift. Something changed in the base packages, that Timeshift depends on, but I do not know what specifically.

And just for confirmation of what is on my system, and all things are there:

Block ID output:

╭─eumario@inosuke in ~ took 4ms
╰─λ blkid
/dev/loop1: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/nvme0n1p2: UUID="116647d6-b9cf-4b5f-81c8-255cebf33bfc" UUID_SUB="c6ba60ee-4f5a-4cee-b9e5-a66175be2c4f" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="49fd9456-68a3-354b-ae7c-ed910d0cbe02"
/dev/zram3: UUID="b23d0478-8b0e-483a-882c-4ab0cae1f813" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="1TB_Data_Internal" BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="9A0C51B20C5189E1" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="39f4b9eb-86f9-4811-8c2a-743c4afabbb4"
/dev/zram1: UUID="0dba6a6e-856b-4ce8-9072-600a103d0b9f" TYPE="swap"
/dev/loop4: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop2: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/zram2: UUID="4bedfab8-50aa-40ea-9ca3-c9ce915fe1f5" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda4: LABEL="Win_10_SSD" BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="E09AFBB39AFB83F6" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="617d2c95-0ef4-4a29-ab3d-83182a115d6f"
/dev/sda2: UUID="04ED-0E57" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="9aa20e6e-31ef-410d-938d-ffa3d044735c"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="Recovery" BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="AEFEE907FEE8C923" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="bdd92aaa-2031-48fd-949d-a993bc420d20"
/dev/zram0: UUID="898b4530-578a-478a-be6e-02558ea24633" TYPE="swap"
/dev/loop3: TYPE="squashfs"

BTRFS listing of root partition:

╭─eumario@inosuke in ~ took 48ms
╰─λ sudo btrfs subvolume list /
[sudo] password for eumario:            
ID 256 gen 88752 top level 5 path @
ID 257 gen 88752 top level 5 path @home
ID 258 gen 88749 top level 5 path @root
ID 259 gen 52890 top level 5 path @srv
ID 260 gen 88752 top level 5 path @cache
ID 261 gen 88752 top level 5 path @log
ID 262 gen 88729 top level 5 path @tmp
ID 477 gen 88656 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-05-30_14-07-33/@
ID 480 gen 88656 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-05-30_14-17-11/@
ID 504 gen 88656 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-06-01_20-00-01/@
ID 505 gen 88656 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-06-02_20-00-01/@
ID 506 gen 88656 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-06-03_20-00-01/@
ID 529 gen 88656 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-06-04_01-32-20/@

Kernel Version:

╭─eumario@inosuke in ~ took 3s
╰─λ uname -a
Linux inosuke 5.12.9-zen1-1-zen #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Thu, 03 Jun 2021 11:36:07 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Output from pacman -U:

╭─eumario@inosuke in repo: obs-studio-browser on  master [?] took 2s
[🔮] × sudo pacman -U obs-studio-browser-27.0.0-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) obs-studio-browser-27.0.0-6

Total Installed Size:  220.94 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       16.38 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                           [-------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                         [-------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                              [-------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                        [-------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                      [-------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
E: ts: Failed to get partition list.
E: System disk not found!
Unable to run timeshift-autosnap! Please close Timeshift and try again. Script will now exit...
error: command failed to execute correctly
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to run transaction hooks)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

As a temporary workaround, at least to be able to update your system although with the risk of skipping the autosnap, I've recently learned that you can skip the timeshift-autosnap with
sudo SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 pacman -Syu

9 Likes

phush0 over on the Timeshift issue identified that util-linux and util-linux-libs caused the issue with not being able to find it.

I downloaded the previous versions from here:
util-linux-2.36.2-1
util-linux-libs-2.36.2-1
And manually installed them. Then edited /etc/pacman.conf to add:

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = util-linux util-linux-libs
#IgnoreGroup =

And now it is working again without any issues. filo, thanks for the SKIP_AUTOSNAP environment variable, good to know for the future, I just ended up uninstalling autosnap, doing the downgrades, and then re-installing it after I added the IgnorePkg.

2 Likes

Interesting and good to know.
Just a naive question: isn't it risky to keep those utils to an old version, since I see via pacman -Sii they are widely used?
I see I have 2.36.2-1 atm, and if I try a sudo pacman -Syu I'm offered to upgrade to 2.37-1, so I guess I'd fall into the issue afterwards...

1 Like

same here :: Running pre-transaction hooks... (1/1) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade... E: ts: Failed to get partition list. E: System disk not found! Unable to run timeshift-autosnap! Please close Timeshift and try again. Script will now exit... error: command failed to execute correctly error: failed to commit transaction (failed to run transaction hooks) Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I don't know if this is related or not but after installing the latest updates today around 1 PM(IST) (And BTW I updated yesterday late evening as well), the timeshift app is not working. I had around 20 snapshots, nothing is showing. It's saying that live usb mode and only I can restore and UUID is not found.

1 Like

Same issue here. I installed Garuda on my second laptop today and updated the system. Now have the same issue with Timeshift showing that it is in live usb mode and the UUID cannot be found. I searched for the disk using lsblk and df, even KDE partition manager, the disk is found in them. It looks like only timeshift has the issue and this is causing problems with pacman when trying to do an update.

Thanks for this.

Did some digging and found that this issue has already been raised After Update timeshift starts in usb rescue mode only · Issue #753 · teejee2008/timeshift · GitHub

There is already a patch, hopefully this will come through soon. For now I have done the step mentioned by @eumario as a stop gap.

4 Likes

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/?h=timeshift&id=b5164abd40efc5be530c6a6746665084d93eb42b

The patch was added & the package deployed so you can just update to have it working again.

6 Likes

Can confirm that newest patch to AUR package for timeshift works properly, with latest version of util-linux and util-linux-libs.

4 Likes

Hi Guys

sorry for the noob question, as fresh as can be in linux here.

How exactly to use the patch file? I read the manpages but still can't get head nor tail on this.

Appreciate your help!! Thanks

Then you don’t need to be using it. Who you gonna call when you break your installation doing stuff you aren’t ready for yet? I’m speaking of the downgraded util-linux pkgs.

EDIT: If you mean @dr460nf1r3’s post, then simply

3 Likes

That's just the problem, the update fails because timeshift isn't able to run. By the way i already repaired my system before ...

Anyway, since this is the attitude received here then no need for help, i'll find a way to solve it myself.

@dr460nf1r3 not referring to you.

Goodbye

sudo SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 pacman -Syu

Maybe this will help? This was mentioned by filo in this thread. (Reply #24)

3 Likes

It permits to upgrade system without creating snapshot. But it doesn't fix problem.
First of all, make sure that timeshit is closed. Timeshift doesn't permit to other processes to create snapshot when it is open

And I jumped the gun there and apologize from doing so. The overwhelming number of “I can’t install
pamac/pacman borked” threads just
 :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I just created a snapshot with timeshift after I did an update earlier on today, so I’m thinking you’re not holding your face the right way or something along those lines.

3 Likes

Very strange then that on Telegram people are experiencing the same thing...

Anyway. gonna log off and i'm not even gonna bother checking here anymore. Wish you all good luck and stay safe.

Edit: by the way the problem is solved in meanwhile ...