The Ultimate guide to install 'Epic Games GTA 5' using Heroic Launcher in any Linux Distro

[This is applicable to all other Titles in 'Epic Games']

First of all, if you want to learn about:
Gaming in Linux, Heroic Launcher, Wine, and Proton you can refer to these links -->

1. Launch Epic Games without Launcher - YouTube
  2. Heroic Game Launcher - YouTube
  3. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wine
  4. https://www.protondb.com/
  5. The Ultimate Linux Gaming Guide – Chris Titus Tech

Now that you have got the idea about all this, you need to install the required software:

1. heroic-games-launcher-bin (Non-Arch based Distro user can install from: GitHub - Heroic-Games-Launcher/HeroicGamesLauncher: A Native GUI Epic Games Launcher for Linux)

2. steam-native-runtime

3. mangohud ( a Vulkan overlay layer - optional) (Non-Arch based Distro user can install from: GitHub - flightlessmango/MangoHud: A Vulkan and OpenGL overlay for monitoring FPS, temperatures, CPU/GPU load and more. Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Gj5YmBb)

You can install these from the ' Garuda Gamer'

Now that you have installed the prerequisites, let's jump into the installation process:

1. Install GTA 5 in Heroic Launcher (refer to the 2nd link given above)

2. Now you need to install proton-experimental (you can try other versions of Proton as well), through Steam (ProtonDB says that GTA V works with Proton.)
    Now follow these:-
    i)

ii) now change the settings so that it matches this picture

iii) Now you need to install a Steam game if you don't have any.
In this example, I am using Fishing Planet

iv) Now, go to the properties of your game

v) change the settings so that it matches this picture:

vi) Now launch your Steam game, Steam will install Proton for you on launch.

1. Now that you have got Proton from Steam, go to GTA 5 settings in Heroic Launcher

1. Change the settings to match in the picture:
    i)

ii) Add

DRI_PRIME=1 

IN LAUNCH OPTIONS IN SETTINGS

1. That's it you are done

Enjoy GTA 5 in Linux!

This post is a simplified version of this one: https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/heroic-launcher-gta-5

11 Likes

Yay, another post for gaming on linux page on the wiki!

3 Likes

I only posted it.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for your instruction!

I followed your instruction, but in the end game just didn't started and I have this in heroic log:

[cli] INFO: Logging in...
[Core] INFO: Trying to re-use existing login session...
[cli] INFO: Checking for updates...
[Core] INFO: Getting authentication token...
[cli] INFO: Launching 9d2d0eb64d5c44529cece33fe2a46482...
Proton: Upgrading prefix from 6.8-GE-2 to 6.3-2 (/home/vigilante/.wine/)
Proton: Prefix has an invalid version?! You may want to back up user files and delete this prefix.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/vigilante/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton", line 997, in <module>
    g_session.init_session(sys.argv[1] != "runinprefix")
  File "/home/vigilante/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton", line 826, in init_session
    g_compatdata.setup_prefix()
  File "/home/vigilante/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton", line 448, in setup_prefix
    steamdir = os.environ["STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH"]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/os.py", line 679, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError(key) from None
KeyError: 'STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH'

How to delete prefix? My english is not good, so sorry for mistakes. I am totally new to Linux and migrated from win10. Please help me.

1 Like

@Vigilante you can uninstall 'proton-ge-custom-bin', cause it doesn't work, at least with GTA 5, I don't know about other titles.
You can try deleting .wine and .proton files in your home directory. (including all your wine-related files, except your Game 'Download files'!)
These are hidden files, by the way, you can view them by pressing ctrl+h.
Try doing these and launching your game again, with proton-experimental in you game settings.
If you face any issues you can ask here

You can share screenshot of you game settings in Heroic.

2 Likes

If you include terminal outputs in your post please use the proper output format in your post. Using "~" 3 times above and "~" 3 times below the text block will provide a readable, raw look.

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for reply! Now I know how to do this :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are screenshots from game settings. Thank you for helping!

Hi! Thank you for reply! I deleted proton-ge-custom from program install manager, then I deleted all files from /home/vigilante/.wine/, but there is no .proton folder in my home directory. I chose proton-proton-experimental in game settings (I chose it earlier) and tried again. Game didn't started, but error log changed a little. Here it is:

[cli] INFO: Logging in...
[Core] INFO: Trying to re-use existing login session...
[cli] INFO: Checking for updates...
[Core] INFO: Getting authentication token...
[cli] INFO: Launching 9d2d0eb64d5c44529cece33fe2a46482...
Proton: Upgrading prefix from None to 6.3-2 (/home/vigilante/.wine/)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/vigilante/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton", line 997, in <module>
    g_session.init_session(sys.argv[1] != "runinprefix")
  File "/home/vigilante/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton", line 826, in init_session
    g_compatdata.setup_prefix()
  File "/home/vigilante/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton", line 448, in setup_prefix
    steamdir = os.environ["STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH"]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/os.py", line 679, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError(key) from None
KeyError: 'STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH'

What can I try next?

Try Fixing your game from the heroic launcher, you don't need to reinstall it.
Somehow your prefix compatibility error has gone,
I am not able to figure out what these logs are saying.
Maybe someone else in the forum can help.

Ok, I will try. Thank you!

Same issue! I just want to play GTA or COD Warzone and the urge has been increasing day by day. I don't think there is anything left to google, including why Linux is great but Linux gaming is shit!
Finally i saw the ultimate guide and was happy, but like you, dreams shattered.!!!!

Hi! I think it because heroic launcher is new and unofficial program. I installed some windows games from Steam, and they works just perfect! War Thunder for Linux works awesome too. So I can say, that there is some good gaming in Linux. I think steam GTA 5 must work good. And if or when Epic Games will make enough attention at Linux platform there will be no problem. Thank you for reply.

1 Like

Yes, true. Might be Epic Games!!!

But it worked for me fine, at least when I created this post, though not that perfect as windows of course. At least I got it running. Now I am not playing games anywhere. The last time I played, it was GTA in Linux. Maybe some bug has popped up recently. :thinking:

1 Like

Good evening! I moved a little far. I tried to install another game (Mud Runner) with Proton experimental in Heroic launcher and result was just the same. Then I installed proton 6.3 and proton 5.13 from Steam. And tried with them. As a result, Rockstar social club and Microsoft visual installed completely, but the process stuck with Installing Microsoft DirectX window for both protons. So now I think, that current Proton Experimental version does not run with Heroic launcher but works with Steam. After 1st June I will try steam version of GTA 5 and let you know how it works. I will try some things with heroic version too. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi! As I thought, Proton Experimental is no stable thing. As an example, few days ago I successfully ran some old A.I.M. 2 game with Proton Experimental in Steam, but yesterday it did't work. Game is old and didn't update for years. Then I tried it with Proton 6.3 and it works good. Proton forum says, that GTA 5 correctly works with proton 6.3 and sometimes with Proton 5.13, but in a Heroic launcher I still stuck at the DirectX Installation process. Thank you.

Hi! This is end of the line (I hope). I updated Garuda yesterday, and problem just gone. GTA 5 and GTA Online from Heroic Launcher works good on Garuda Linux with Proton 6.3. Thank you.

1 Like

How is the gameplay, is it as good as Windows 10?

1 Like

Hi! There are some conclusions I made yesterday:

• colors in Linux a bit different, I found them more attractive;
  • object's corners are more sharp, than Windows version, but just a little;
  • in-game loadings on Garuda are really faster, but sometimes game catches 5 second freezes to load some content. I played about 5 hours and get about 4 those loadings, when traveled whole map.

I will continue to play and test. I will write here, if I find something important. I think, yesterday I get much fun from playing GTA Online on Linux. Thank you.

1 Like