The GNOME Way

very good, that worked. :+1:

Mehā€¦ exa with long listings and hidden files by default? :nauseated_face:

I do like the listing. But the hidden files by default is not good... better to enable that with la.

However, you package it, so you should make it in a way that you like it. I now know how to customize it, so I'm happy. ^^

1 Like

The cursors and Nautilus look great, but all extensions have pros and cons, and they can cause unexpected problems. The extensions you have chosen look really good and are undoubtedly useful, but looking through the reviews they might cause some issues.

A few examples:

Frippery Move Clock:

Works great on Ubuntu 22.04, but it conflicts with Just Perfectionā€™s placement settings - sometimes Frippery wins, sometimes Just Perfection. Turned it off for now, hopefully someone will post a workaround as I donā€™t know enough about Gnome Shell Extension development to do it myselfā€¦
July 15, 2022

Dash To Dock:

Already twice this extension introduced me bugs: once double letter in search and once it just completely reorganized desktop into an abysmal chaos
November 15, 2022

I set autohide, but in the wayland environment it flickered when I tried to use the dock, and in xrog it was fine, I found the same phenomenon as ā€œHide Top Barā€.
November 3, 2022

AppIndicator and KStatusNotifierItem Support

Do not use this version from extensions.gnome.org ā€“ it lacks dependencies needed for some icons to display properly. Use the system extension instead if possible. Here is an updated guide for Fedora usersā€¦ about a month ago

I am in no way trying to discredit what youā€™re doing with the Gnome version of Garuda because I think itā€™s admirable that you are putting the effort into it, but Iā€™d hate to think that all of your good work could be undone by a dodgy extension or conflicting extensions.

As a suggestion, hows about having no extensions installed ootb, but have the following installed if possible:

If this canā€™t be done then hows about installing GNOME Shell integration by default on Gnomeā€™s FireDragon.

Users could then install the extensions they choose, and maybe create a forum thread containing details of user recommended extensions to help people find what they want.

Thanks once again for your efforts with Garuda Gnome.

Thankfully the cursor theme I found is actually too already in Chaotic-AUR. :smiley:
And yes, extensions always have issues. This is a fact of GNOME, and thereā€™s no way around it at all, even if you give that up to the user to choose, they will just run into the same issues with conflicting extensions. People will break some things, absolutely, but the main thing Iā€™m looking at is supporting 2 extensions which 1 is already included in Arch Linux repositories, the other was arch-update, which I got added to Chaotic-AUR.

Iā€™m intending to add Frippery Move-Clock to AUR as well, as both direct from source to match current & beta versions, and a -git edition that will just be for posterity, a clone of the source in a public git repo that the author will not seem to do, so backup options. :slight_smile:

And Dash-to-Dock, thatā€™s not something Iā€™m going to do by default, thatā€™ll be userā€™s choice. :slight_smile:

This is an interesting conflict, indeed. Just Perfection is a good massive extensions with many problems. It, for one, has the option to move the clock but itā€™s never able to move it where you want it, especially if you have appindicator installed and running. Your clock will appear in the middle of a bunch of systray items, which is no good. Itā€™s a good extensionā€¦ But, I think most extensions like thisā€¦ Need to be broken down into smaller parts to do specific things to be more versatile and compatible with others.

This is actually in Arch Linux community repository. :slight_smile:

I appreciate all thoughts, biased or not, if itā€™s sincere and constructive, and all you have provided is all of that, so I appreciate it. And thank you for the compliments too!

And oh yeah, I already got Extension Manager from AUR with communicating with the maintainer and getting things fixed. :slight_smile: Now thatā€™s in AUR proper.

GNOMEā€™s FireDragon? You mean Ephiphany, or Firefox, or Chrome? Heh. It could, sorta kinda technically as there is a package for it in Arch Linux actual repos, but I believe thatā€™s actually just for chrome, and not firefox. Either way, Iā€™m going to be providing Extension Manager, instead of Extensions, as an OOTB extension handler.

My pleasure. Iā€™m actually a little bit excited to see what my test results come back with after I get the initial stuff here, itā€™s looking good from a planning stage, but Iā€™m still tinkering with the initial basics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent stuff!

I explained it poorly - hereā€™s what I meanā€¦

:blush:

As a suggestion for the setup assistant, there is an option to install additional appsā€¦

ā€¦ I didnā€™t use it because when I selected it and pressed OK the terminal appeared asking for a password. I had no idea whether I would subsequently be shown a list of apps or everything would be downloaded. I didnā€™t want the latter so I left it.

Could the setup assistant for Gnome have another tab added which is labelled ā€˜gnome appsā€™ that contains a list of the apps, and the user simply selects what they want to install?

Yesā€¦ The browser extensions exist, but that whole system, while itā€™s there, itā€™s not the most ideal for managing extensions. Extension Manager is cleaner and handles updating extensions a little bit cleaner for those that are downloaded in userspace.

Yep. I think weā€™ll be working on an idea to get a GNOME (or DE-specific) tab for specific applications most notable for the desktop environment. Thereā€™s already auto-detection done in the application here, just the mass of checkboxes that newbies wonā€™t understand is a concern of mine. Heck, even some applications arenā€™t clearly known to be GTK, Gnome, Qt, or KDE, and frankly thatā€™s a little bit important for helping someone choose the most optimal (library loading-wise, and sometimes even theme-wise), and ideal software matching their DE better.

At the moment, right now, what Iā€™m seeing myself doing for the likely next edition release is bundling several applications that make GNOME a complete DE, and then letting people choose after the fact what they want to some extent. Many parts of GNOME integrate with other parts of itself, expanding itā€™s capability within not just the application itself being available, but integration into the gnome-shell as well is incorporated.

This was a suggestion and what I was talking about above. It would need to be done right, for sure though.

As a suggestion for a Gnome tab on the setup assistant, hows about placing a simple link to https://apps.gnome.org/ at the top of the tab, and underneath you could have checkboxes next to the software titles which allows the software to be installed. This way newbies would get a good idea of what theyā€™re installing.

[note that https://apps.gnome.org/ seems to be down at the moment]

As an extension that I wouldn't wanna miss and I think is just a useful tool in general: Clipboard Indicator.

Got to know Clipboard from Plasma and it's really handy, at least I think it is. Removeable drive menu is also quite useful.

You meanā€¦ a clipboard manager? Those are actually quite dangerous things, especially if used in combination with a password manager as they tend to use the clipboard buffers. I had a conversation with someone recently about this in Discord, and they used this clipboard manager in a way that made no sense at all to me, to copy things and paste repeatedly (whichā€¦ You can already do that hehā€¦) And Xorg well, that has three clipboard buffers, though Wayland only has the one.

There is GPaste, and that exists in Arch Linuxā€™s extra repository so itā€™s there. Iā€™m likely going to leave that as an additional thing to install, but not part of the initial installation.

I mentioned ksnip earlier in the thread. The following video explains its functionality and features.

1 Like

Would it be possible for libjxl to be included with Garuda Gnome. I have installed it via Pamac, and as a result JPEG XL (jxl files) work on Gnome. Here's a screenshot of my desktop, Nautilus & image viewer:

I can provide links to jxl wallpapers if required.

More on JPEG XL:

1 Like

I will look into this, since libjxl is not in Arch nor Chaotic (yet).
Links would be helpful to verify and validate functionality too, so yes, please.

1 Like

Here is where I installed libjxl:

A reboot was required after installation to get jxl files displayed as desktop wallpaper.

ā€¦ JPEG XL is faster to share and more economical to store: 60% savings vs. JPEG at equivalent visual quality. We quantify this impact using a subjective evaluation versus existing codecs including HEVC-HM-YUV444 and JPEG. New image codecs have to co-exist with the previous generation for several years. JPEG XL is unique in providing value for both existing JPEGs as well as new users. It includes coding tools to reduce the transmission and storage costs of JPEG by 22% while allowing byte-for-byte exact reconstruction of the original JPEG. Avoiding transcoding and additional artifacts helps to preserve our digital heritage. Applications require fast and low-power decoding. JPEG XL was designed to benefit from multicore and SIMD, and actually decodes faster than JPEG. ā€¦

More software with JPEG XL support: libvips | Imlib2 | Qt / KDE (gwenview, digiKam, KolourPaint, KPhotoAlbum, LXImage-Qt, qimgv, qView, nomacs, VookiImageViewer, PhotoQt) | GDK-pixbuf (eog, gThumb, Geeqie) | EFL (entice, ephoto) | MacOS plugin | Windows Imaging Component | Windows thumbnail handler | OpenMandriva Lx | KaOS | Paint.NET | XnView | ImageGlass | IrfanView | Tachiyomi | Swayimg | Chrome M91-M109 (behind a flag)

All of the wallpaper images I converted (both png and jxl) are in the compressed files detailed below.

Total 232 files

png2jxl1.tar.xz

Location of files: https://ufile.io/eamelfpr

jxl: 59 items, totalling 6.6 MB
png: 59 items, totalling 102.6 MB

png2jxl2.tar.xz

Location of files: https://ufile.io/2p1feg15

jxl: 173 items, totalling 18.8 MB
png: 173 items, totalling 311.4 MB

jxl total file size: 25.4 MB
png total file size: 414 MB (includes 3 jpgs)

Since I used lossy conversion on the wallpaper images I provided the png files for visual comparison purposes.

This spotlight is about MetaGedit and the features the plugin brings to Gedit. I do not claim that anything mentioned is new/unique/exclusive/canā€™t be found in other text editors. And while itā€™s easy to say ā€œif you want X, use Y insteadā€ swapping an entire app for a small thing is not a practical suggestion for those who want to use Gedit.

So what does it offer?

For one, better encoding utilities. With Metagedit installed and enabled Gedit is better able to auto-detect the correct encoding of a document, relays encoding in the status bar, and provides a handy manual encoding override through a right-click context menu that ā€” this is neat ā€” offers you a real-time preview of the effects.

The plugin adds line operations, including removing empty lines, sorting, deduplicating, reversing and shuffling, and joining operations, to context menu. These work on selected text or, if no text is selected, the entire document.

Ever opened a file to edit and only realised you need to be root to modify it when you attempt to save the changes? Metagedit adds an ā€˜Open as Administratorā€™ option to the overflow menu, making it a fraction faster to edit protected files.

1 Like

This free, open source utility puts a comprehensive suite of webcam controls at your control. The app is accessible though a clean GTK GUI or, if you roll that way, from a command line interface instead. Something of simpler alternative to Guvcview (the ā€˜gold standardā€™ in open source webcam tools, imo), Cameratrls lets you configure almost every aspect of a webcamā€™s picture output, be it from a built-in potato cam or something fancier connected through USB.

Looks like a useful tool.

1 Like

Loupe Image Viewer is an update for the image viewer.

The planned updates for it look really useful.

Will it be included in a future version of Garuda Gnome?

1 Like

This feature looks really useful:

Changes color for root and SSH operations. This is probably a unique feature I havenā€™t seen in any other terminal application. The application window turns red when you use a command with sudo or switch to the root user. I presume the idea here is to warn the users that they are using escalated privileges and hence be careful while running the commands. Similarly, if you connect to a remote server using SSH, the terminal application window color changes to purple. This is also a good way to alert the user that the commands are being run on remote Linux machine, not on the local one.

Alsoā€¦

Warning while copy-pasting commands into Console. Do you copy-paste commands into the terminal? I do that all the time. Not always, but sometimes, when you try to copy-paste commands with sudo into Console, it shows a warning: ā€œYou are pasting a command that runs as an administrator. Make sure you know what command does.ā€ I believe that idea is to make the application more beginner-friendly. Not that it is going to stop people from using any commands, itā€™s just a ā€˜hey, pay attentionā€™ kind of thing and itā€™s good to have.

1 Like

I have just tested the terminal I posted about hereā€¦

ā€¦ and I have found a problem. I have tried to post it in the aforementioned thread, but as Iā€™m getting no replies Iā€™m now blocked from posting to this thread, so Iā€™ll post the issue below.

I have downloaded and tried the above, and I think Iā€™ve found a problem with the new terminal.

Below is a screenshot of the new terminal on the left and the original terminal on the right, and both are doing nothing more than running btopā€¦

The new terminal using 200MB+ more RAM than the original version.

I donā€™t think that is a problem necessarily, considering what this application is meant to be. Itā€™s no surprise it is more resource-heavy than a normal terminal; itā€™s probably running its own daemon, to monitor every keystroke so it knows when to change colors or whatever.

This application is not meant to be a regular terminal. People that spend a lot of time in the terminal are not going to use this. This is from the GitLab page for the project:

We are not however trying to replace GNOME Terminal/Tilix, these advanced tools are great for developers and administrators, rather Console aims to serve the casual linux user who rarely needs a terminal

This is not meant to be installed on a server or a low-resource machine; rather it is for a casual user to fire off a few commands from time to time. I think the fact that it holds down 300 MiB of RAM or whatever is no big deal.

2 Likes