The GNOME Way

Hah hah. Indeed. I mean, I’ve mentioned it in the other introductory post, I’ve used Linux for over 30 years now. Been around the bush a few times. I was actually surprised that I ended up liking Garuda Linux, to be honest! I honestly hate Arch Linux, “the arch way” and in some respects, a lot of the Arch Linux TU’s and Devs whom tend to be… Well, simply put, downright rude. When one has to duck their head and walk on eggshells just because of some pompous devs, that’s not a good community, in general.

But, Garuda’s dev team seems to be more sincere, more interested in community, and that in itself is an attractive aspect. Plus, right from the start, Garuda Installation, while not exactly the most customizable as it could (and possibly to some extent should?) be, they nailed it right on the BtrFS subvolume setup for snapshots, the one thing no other distro really got right, not even openSUSE.

1 Like

Yeah, I started when the kernel went stable at 1.0. à la a Walnut Creek CDROM. I won't mention the results other than needing a new monitor and my wife banning me from further fun-with-Linux. Which just meant any new hardware or software purchases had to be smuggled in down my pants. I was pretty overweight at the time so it wasn't all that hard.

I love Arch. I love everything about it. Including the TUs, the forums (where I've been active for a few years), and the Moderators (who are all very happy to instruct me on how little I know). I even like Allan. :wink:

But the Arch forums, being limited to nearly all technical help posts and responses, lacks the "flavor" we have here (and in other Arch-based forums). We have both expertise and fun here.

2 Likes

ah ha! Slackware was my virgin distro from the back of a UNIX Bible book back sleeve. 1995 or 1996. Blackbox then fluxbox were my wm of choice.

Gnome was still in pre-something and kde & gnome seemed slow and buggy to me at the time.

Fluxbox ftw in the old days.

Gnome & Kde have “come a long way baby”.

1 Like

Current Arch Linux GNOME News: "We have decided that GNOME 43 is a bad release so will not update until GNOME 44."

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2062199#p2062199

4 Likes

:rofl: That thread is hilarious. Ragging on Gnome, who would do such a thing? :man_shrugging: :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

I think philm was quite worried.
:wink:

2 Likes

Anyone seen this? I’m hoping for thoughts and opinions on this being something like a initial OOB setup, per the look and feel concept?

And another question for the OOTB experience.

I'm not personally a fan of fish for a shell. Ultimately I prefer zsh, and use zim with zsh which is a very good setup. macOS started shipping with zsh out of the box as well, partly because bash went GPLv3 and that's not compatible with Apple's way with macOS, but still, a lot of macOS users were happy that zsh became the defacto norm.

Currently, the Garuda GNOME edition ships with the standard Garuda fish setup configured. XFCE edition retains some of the roots of *nix, and keeps it bash, which in a sense, I like that about it. I wonder if GNOME should come with bash, or a reasonably well configured zsh?

Thoughts? (Good/Bad OK)

Alone because Apple has zsh, I would reject it :grin:

But as you can see with Dragonized KDE and (@ Yorper's) Xfce,
every Garuda Linux maintainer/developer makes his DE according to his wishes.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. I get some of your hesitations. At the same time though, knowing and understanding what Apple has also done for Linux as a whole is huge. Bringing more printer support to Linux than was ever conceived of before is huge. :slight_smile:

I use zsh on my Arch on my Laptop. In Garuda, obviously, fish.

But to be honest, I don't know the difference apart from style.

Edit. Well okay I just looked up the config-file of fish and there are some nice functions in there that I do find useful. Dunno if zsh can be configured the same.

But it's rather a "nice to have" than a "must have" tbh. ^^

I’d recommend, just for the fun of it, try out zsh for a bit, and don’t go with oh-my-zsh crap, that thing is noisy and not that clean. zim:fw from GitHub - zimfw/zimfw: Zim: Modular, customizable, and blazing fast Zsh framework is what I’m recommending and hoping to possibly incorporate, and it’s something that has a lot of great functionality with tab-completion forward typing and selection bar selecting in various ways, both from current and from history, which is even better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It's nice to see someone taking a keen interest in updating the Garuda Gnome experience. Many thanks for picking up the torch. :+1:

3 Likes

well... I tried setting zsh as default shell, but it just won't stick. Garuda Assistant says default shell is zsh.

Also tried this

╭─leonavis@leonavis in ~ took 4ms
[🔴] grep 'leonavis' /etc/passwd
leonavis:x:1000:1001:Leonard Schiff:/home/leonavis:/usr/bin/zsh

Shouldn't gnome-terminal start with Zsh now? It does not. Neither does Guake. Tried logging out and rebooting, nothing. Any ideas?

Edit: Already found out, Terminal and Guake automatically start with usr/bin/fish. Could change that.

1 Like

Ahh, right… So, the way most of the auto-configuration works to “change your shell” currently in Garuda, is not the normal way, it’s actually configured directly into the terminal.

In the case of gnome-terminal, that setting would be:
Hamburger->Preferences->Profiles (select one), Command, “Run a custom command instead of my shell”
There you could change what shell it actually loads.
This apparently will be a little bit different in GNOME Console, which is what GNOME 43 is moving towards.

2 Likes

Why thank you! I hope to do it some justice. I’ve already started poking at the iso-profiles for it, and got a successful ISO generated from the current. So I’ll be seeing testing live ISO images in VM’s soon. Both with and without Wayland options.

4 Likes

Alright, one more question.

What I did like about fish was that the ls command showed much more than it does per default. I did not find any modules that would do that. Is that transferable to zim/zsh?

That comes from an alias set in .config/fish/config.fish. You could copy the alias over to your .zshrc. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

that worked well, thanks. Also tried to copy over the neofetch-command

## Run fastfetch if session is interactive
if status --is-interactive && type -q fastfetch
   fastfetch --load-config neofetch
end

That gives me a

/home/leonavis/.zshrc:194: parse error near `end'

or a

/home/leonavis/.zshrc:194: parse error near `fi'

Following the other code I thought it could be fixed using "fi" instead of "end". I assume "parse error" is some sort of syntax error?

So this looks like status is a fish internal or function of fish configuration. If you literally just put this in your ~/.zshrc that only runs on interactive shell sessions, so there’s no if…fi required.

2 Likes