The GNOME Way

I am the occasional terminal user which Console is aimed at. I was highly impressed when I saw it change colour when sudo is entered - it was just what I wanted.

The only reason I picked up on the high memory usage is because I've got a habit of using btop to keep an eye on things, and this revealed what was going on. Looking at the screenshot it is clear the new terminal also uses a lot more CPU than its predecessor. This wouldn't be good for the battery life of my laptop if I left btop running in the background.

I genuinely hope the high RAM and CPU usage of Console are significantly reduced when the software is updated. If this happens I'd be more than happy to use it.

As a footnote, I downloaded Alacritty and ran btop on it...

...the RAM & CPU usage were significantly lower than Console, and my laptop runs a lot cooler even though the CPU frequency is higher following the latest Zen update.

Use conky for that.

2 Likes

I'm not a fan of conkys. They add clutter I don't like to the desktop.

:frowning_face:

If you are going to leave btop just sitting there constantly running, set it up in Gnome terminal or whatever--it doesn't have to run in the special terminal with lights just to churn away on that one process. You are allowed to have more than one terminal, you know!

I think you are overthinking this a little bit. For the sake of comparison, any modern web browser with an active session can easily use a gig of RAM just by itself, and many people never close their browser ever.

Open whatever terminal you like to run a few processes and close it when you are done--you will never even notice the impact on your laptop battery.

1 Like

At the end of the day I was the person who made the original post suggesting Console. When I tried it I realised some people may find the CPU & RAM usage an issue, so I thought I'd better add an update pointing this out.

This is the only reason I wrote the follow up post.

The utility’s developer, Christian Boxdörfer, is even upfront about the inspiration, explaining on the project homepage: “[Everything Search Engine] provides instant results as you type for all your files and lots of useful features (regex, filters, bookmarks, 
). On Linux however I couldn’t find anything that’s even remotely as fast and powerful.”

Christian says he a slew of Linux file search tools (including standalone ones like Catfish and ANGRYSearch, as well as the file-finding features baked into file managers like Nautilus) first, as he didn’t want to create “yet-another” file-search tool for Linux.

Sadly, none of them were what he wanted, or catered to different use cases.

So he built his own.

2 Likes

Maybe, for "arch-based" user, it's better you post links to github/gitlab and not to Ubuntu (sudo apt install fsearch) sides :wink: .

2022-12-26_17-47

3 Likes

No problem. My aim here isn't to get people installing the software, they are suggestions for he Gnome version of Garuda, but you are making a valid point.

With regard to suggestions for Garuda Gnome, hows about this...

But did you know you can make Firefox look more at home on the GNOME desktop?

Yup, you can — all thanks to the Firefox GNOME Theme project!

In this post I detail just how dramatic this theme is; how you can install it on your system; and mention few additional tweaks you can make to complete the transformation.

1 Like

I like it. Even respects the dark theme. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I don't have Firefox installed as I regularly use Firedragon, and I couldn't get it installed without FF.

Hopefully Firedragon will make use of it.

:crossed_fingers:

[Edit] @leonavis I've just watched the following video which relates directly to the aforementioned theme. Please have a look:

I'm not doing very well on this thread :man_facepalming:

Converter lets you convert these file formats:

avif
bmp
gif
heic and heif
jpeg/jpg
jxl
png
tif/tiff
webp

Into one of these formats:

avif
bmp
gif
heic and heif
jpeg/jpg
jxl 
pdf
png
tif/tiff
webp

Pretty comprehensive on the ol’ image front (as you’d expect for something powered by ImageMagick) with a very simple, straightforward GUI.

The app is also available to install from the AUR, if you use a distro that can access it.

I post software ideas into this thread

when I come across anything of interest, but it seems I am the only poster, and I am now unable to post anything.

Has the thread been abandoned?

Absolutely not. Definitely still an active work in progress, but was delayed due to holidays and such, personal time. Sometimes things gets in the way of good progress. Things will be back on track again soon. But in that track I've been watching updates coming in on bug reports that are active on things I've seen and issues that need fixing, and I'd like to see some of those things fixed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply - I was wondering if I was posting into a black hole. I’m sure you’ll put together an excellent Garuda Gnome version when it is finished as there is a lot of good software emerging for it.

With this in mind, here’s what I tried to post earlier

This looks really useful, but

I will mention that this plugin is not 100% stable so do use it with some degree of caution. Gedit crashed the first time I enabled the plugin but opened normally after that. Since then, I’ve not encountered any issues while using it.

Plugin here:

1 Like

I posted a suggestion not so long ago for the Console terminal only to subsequently find it was a CPU & RAM hog even though it was very light in functionality.

I have found another terminal, namely Black Box...

...and this time I've given it a good test before mentioning it.

For a start Black Box uses roughly 50% less CPU than Console - this is shown in the screenshot below which shows both Console (kgx) and blackbox running...

Black Box has numerous features and options, but it works fine if no modifications are made.

Below are some of the options...

Sixel looks to be potentially really useful...

Overall this terminal looks to be great for occasional users like myself, but it will also hopefully find favour with users who need something that's a bit more technical.

The Sixel support is great, I have been using Foot for a while and I am a big fan. You can use scripts like lsix and vv to print pictures in the terminal. Any file explorer can do that, sure, but it works over SSH--very handy!

This is a GNOME desktop extension that adds ChatGPT to the system tray of your desktop.

In its current form, it is in a very work-in-progress state, with basic functionality and a few bugs here and there.

As noted by the developer:

You will need an existing ChatGPT account to use this extension and your keyboard to navigate around it because the mouse cursor implementation is quite buggy.

Moreover, support for GNOME 43 is also quite patchy, with a temporary fix being provided and added to the to-do list in the development of this extension.

If you like, you can give this extension a try. It's available via its GitHub repo, with all the instructions and files required to run it.

The developer has also said that they will be making this available on the GNOME extensions website when the extension is more stable.

2 Likes