System stutter when interacting with desktop, receiving notifications. X11 related

yes

man journalctl

Ok, I'll check what went wrong then.

uhh idk. I gave linux last chance and it's kinda working. Force full composition pipeline still doesn't work for me, but it seems with some recent updates the stuttering is less apparent or it's because of full composition idk. I couldn't install anything else like kwinft or wayland.

Kinda sad to see some kde devs having very strong opinions about hardware. Unfortunately I still experience stutter when I unmaximize window. And yes, mouse does not die when something stutters - this is what kinda makes it usable.

I hope to revisit this topic in the future. Right now it kinda sucks, it's good nor bad.

Well I must say, that’s mighty decent of you to give us a last chance like that. :wink:

I apologize if you have answered any of these questions before, but this thread has dragged on for months and it is hard to remember everything with so many posts here (and frankly I’m not planning on re-reading everything again).

Have you tested how your system runs with the compositor completely disabled? If the system runs properly with the composistor disabled, (while not recommended) you could test installing the Xfce compositor, (as you’ve stated Xfce works correctly). Picom is the current Xfce compositor and it can be made to work on KDE, (with some issues of course). Search for information with terms such as, compositing Kwin + Picom or similar. There is a fair bit of information out there on how to do this, but don’t expect much assistance for that here, (as it is not something that is done regularly). Be sure you have a good working snapshot and a backup of all your user configs in home before making drastic changes such as this.

Have you tried disabling most of your desktop effects?

Try disabling/removing any KDE Plasma widgets you’ve installed?

Have you run a ram test yet?

Have you tried disconnecting any/all peripherals connected to your computer? If you are using wireless a KB and mouse, test wired versions.

Unfortunately the possible troubleshooting steps for cases like this are almost endless. Sporadic issues are also very hard to pinpoint when offering assistance remotely. In these kinds of cases it’s mostly on the user to try and test as many fixes as they can find (and report fully on effects). Also, as a thread like this drags on for ages with many, many posts it’s hard to find volunteers to help, as there is just too many posts to review spread across tons of posts.

It might be helpful if you could condense all your troubleshooting efforts and anyything you’ve discovered into one condensed list. Then, edit your opening post (OP) to include all the steps you’ve tested and include any important information on your OP you’ve turned up. This will make it far easier to assist you as well as probably making it more likely that others will want to help.

3 Likes