[Solved] Need help with getting my gpu working and volume shortcuts working

Hello, I just installed Garuda Linux not too long ago! I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the nvidia drivers working on my laptop! And as to my volume shortcuts issue I have like no clue how to even start trying to get that working, so any help will be appreciated! If you need more information that I left out just ask for it and I'll try to give you it the best I can!

CPU: Intel i5-10300H (8) @ 4.5GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile
Memory: 24GB

Edit: I've figured out the volume shortcuts issue through this thread [Solved] Volume keys not working Gnome, possible Pipewire issue Which recommended to switch pulseaudio instead of pipewire as a fix to it

Edit 2: Found an app called optiums-manager and it seems to be working so far, so I think I'm good for now (Link to it if anyone needs it: GitHub - Askannz/optimus-manager: A Linux program to handle GPU switching on Optimus laptops.)

1 Like

Why do you think they are not working?

You could have studied at least Garuda wiki, which has instructions on how to post useful info for troubleshooting.

I’m not quite sure, because I’m seeing that atleast part of the nvidia drivers stuff has installed, but I don’t know if all of it has and the tool Garuda came with for doing that isn’t really wanting to work either

And, when I looked earlier I didn’t see a whole lot of troubleshooting related stuff in the wiki, although I could’ve completely missed it

Also, reminding me that should post the output I’m getting from the tool so here you go

Starting

> Using config 'video-hybrid-intel-chaotic-nvidia-dkms-tkg-prime-render-offloading' for device: 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1f95) Display controller nVidia Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile]

> Using config 'video-hybrid-intel-chaotic-nvidia-dkms-tkg-prime-render-offloading' for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9bc4) Display controller Intel Corporation UHD Graphics

Error: config 'video-hybrid-intel-chaotic-nvidia-dkms-tkg-prime-render-offloading' conflicts with config(s): video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-dkms-prime-render-offloading

Done ...

I ask again, for the last time before I close the topic for not providing requested info:

1 Like

This is what I put in response to that question, just forgot to do quote your question before typing that

If I translate correctly:

• You don’t know
  • You are trying to install a different driver.

It seems your system is fine. There is no reason to install or change video drivers, unless you have errors, or your display is misbehaving.

Please, step one meter backwards.
Your system is fine.
Don’t break it so soon. :slightly_frowning_face:

The reason I’m saying the drivers aren’t working is because when I load up a game it’s using intel graphics instead of nvidia graphics, and I don’t exactly know how to set it up so I can switch over to nvidia graphics instead of intel ones, and stuff like neofetch and the about system screen aren’t even recognizing my nvidia gpu

But if I go into nvidia server settings or green with envy it recognizes my nvidia gpu in my laptop

1 Like

This is your real problem and not something else.
That is what you should have asked from the beginning.

To run a program with nvidia card, use this command, either in terminal, or in a .desktop file

prime-run <program-command>
# Example
prime-run vulkaninfo

Read about how Linux works with hybrid video card systems:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME#PRIME_render_offload

1 Like

Well I thought it probably was a driver issue, I’m coming from Pop!_OS which comes with Nvidia drivers preconfigured if you use the nvidia iso, and the way they have it set up is so you can toggle between just using nvidia graphics or intel graphics, or hybrid graphics, and I was half expecting it to come by default, so is there a program or something I can try, that aims to emulate something like that? Instead of having to into like .desktop files or have to run programs through the terminal.

Also, I just noticed in the hardware configuration menu, it’s not reporting that all the drivers are installed from what I can tell

These are all possible driver configuration sets.
You only need one.

I think so, but I would prefer someone who knows answers this.
Maybe @SGS ?

1 Like

Yeah I know, I tend to only keep it on nvidia only because I’m lazy, but it’s nice to be able to change it easily if ever needed if I’m needing that extra little bit of battery life or something like that

And that’s fair enough to be honest

This is a thing of the past.
Your current driver setup is normally using Intel for non-demanding tasks and should switch automatically to nvidia when needed.
Whenever you have a specific need for nvidia (demanding apps), you can use the above command.
At least that’s to my knowledge.
If you know more, use your knowledge wisely, or else study and give your feedback. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Is there a way to make it so you can just like right click on the app and select like “Launch using Dedicated Graphics” instead? Like how it is on Pop with Hybrid Graphics?

And, yeah I’m using my knowledge the best I can, even though it’s probably very limited

I found an app called optimus-manager and it has a companion app for the system tray so you can change what graphics profile you're using through there, and so far it seems to be working pretty well, I probably have some more things to set up with it, but I'll probably do that later

1 Like

Given you are using GNOME, yes. For example:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/2203/gnome-run-with-prime/

4 Likes

I’m very glad you managed to get your issue resolved, but I’m going to simply make comment on your above response.

Everyone on the Garuda team gets very discouraged when we read comments such as yours above during a support session. Users who are unwilling to learn the simplest of things about Linux may not be using an OS that suits their needs.

The .desktop file is one of the most basic things that you should know how to create if you want to use any GUI Linux system.

The .desktop file is the Linux equivalent of a shortcut file on the Windows OS. Could you imagine if someone requesting help in a Windows forum wanted to run a program and was told to simply create a shortcut and they refused to do so as they felt it was “too complicated”.

Linux .desktop file = Windows shortcut file (not exactly, but basically).

This is something everyone using Windows knows how to do, and it is something everyone using a GUI Linux OS should also be familiar with.

Perhaps in this situation this suggestion was not exactly how you wanted to solve your issue. I’ll give you that, but you should still not be dismissive of suggestions moderators on the forum put to you, as obviously they have more experience with Linux than yourself (otherwise why would you be asking here).

If you are unwilling to be open to learning such basic things as creating a .desktop file or running a terminal command then perhaps Linux is not a good choice for you. Especially an Arch Linux based OS, because some facets of configuring your system in Linux still require use of the terminal to create or edit configuration files or perform other basic system maintenance.

Some of these things do not have a shiny GUI app to conveniently perform the task for you at the click of a mouse button. Even in this day and age some Linux functions (especially on an Arch based OS) still require terminal command usage.

If that’s just not your thing then I again suggest to you, either you need to be more open to learning Linux, or perhaps just maybe an Arch Linux based OS isn’t for you.

I simply posted this comment as something for yourself and others to think on before requesting help with issues you have no intention of researching when recommended to you by a mod.

As this issue has fortunately been resolved, this topic can now be closed.

3 Likes