Seeking advise while shift from Manjaro Linux

Hi! I’m recently using Manjaro Linux (KDE) on my Laptop. I love to experiment with other distros based on Arch Linux due to its rolling release advantage. I don’t know about which DE to try out and also I don’t want to finish my daily data trying out all the live CDs. Here I’m posting my specs so you may suggest me a DE which is stable as well as fast on my Laptop. I’m also confused between Lite and Ultimate editions. Any help would be great :grinning:

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: nikhil-hpnotebook Kernel: 5.7.9-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.1.0 
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Notebook v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: HP model: 81F6 v: 66.26 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: F.35 date: 05/27/2019 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 19.7 Wh condition: 35.6/34.6 Wh (103%) model: 131-42-6E HS04041 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics bits: 64 type: MCP 
           arch: Puma rev: 1 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 17573 
           Speed: 1011 MHz min/max: 1000/2200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 999 2: 1005 3: 1043 4: 1330 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:01.0 
           Device-2: AMD Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330 / M430 / Radeon 520 Mobile] 
           vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati unloaded: modesetting 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD KABINI (DRM 3.37.0 5.7.9-1-MANJARO LLVM 10.0.0) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.3 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: AMD Kabini HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:01.1 
           Device-2: AMD FCH Azalia vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:14.2 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.9-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
           driver: rtl8723be v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 
           v: kernel port: 2000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-1: virbr0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-2: virbr0-nic state: down mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-3: vmnet1 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-4: vmnet8 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 78.14 GiB (8.4%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10JPVX-60JC3T0 size: 931.51 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 392.72 GiB used: 78.14 GiB (19.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.4 C mobo: 20.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
           GPU: device: amdgpu temp: 43 C device: amdgpu temp: 48 C 
Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 4h 40m Memory: 3.32 GiB used: 2.03 GiB (61.3%) Init: systemd Compilers: 
           gcc: 10.1.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.18 inxi: 3.0.37
1 Like

About lite and ultimate

The lite edition has very minimal packages preinstalled

So you can choose what you want to install later
Though you need to know what you want and how to get what you want

While the ultimate edition has almost everything you need on Linux

Like office suite
Printing support
Virtualization
Gaming stores like steam itch minigalaxy
Lutris gamehub etc
Emulators like retroarch yuzu rpcs3 pcsx2 ppsspp etc
Wine with all deps
All graphics,audio,video,editors and convertors

And as for the desktop environment

Since you used KDE you can use it.

It is just your choice which interface you want and you are comfortable with.

3 Likes

There are all stable :slight_smile:

Summary

Ultimate editions are made for having all the right tools needed to get gaming started on linux, out of the box. For Ultimate editions, we recommend a minimum of 6 GB of RAM and 20 GB of Storage Space.

Lite editions are made for having only minimal packages preinstalled, out of the box.So you can customize it later how you want, The choice is yours to make. For Lite editions, we recommend a minimum of 3 GB of RAM and 10 GB of Storage Space.

Seems KDE will be fine for you :slight_smile:

Welcome

2 Likes

Thank you @SGS and @librewish for your reply. I’m quite comfortable with KDE but will Gnome work fine for me. I love KDE but I like to experiment. My last experience with Gnome was eith Ubuntu 20 and it was horrible. I thought maybe debian is just not for me. Should my system be able to run Gnome quite same like KDE?

4 Likes

Gnome should work nearly same except it would have different interface.

You can use any desktop environment

Well the KDE gnome xfce are one the most complete and largely used desktop environments

But others are also good

It differs person to person

4 Likes

Since Gnome lagged too much in Ubuntu I have started thinking my laptop is just quite good for lightweight DE’s like XFCE and KDE.
Just asking if Gnome would take a toll on my battery, RAM and CPU just as Ubuntu did and if it’s quite heavy? :thinking:

Well garuda is a performance focused distro

So you will have very different experience with gnome on garuda

With every desktop environment

Although it might impact battery life but

It should not be much problem

5 Likes

Thanks :grinning: I’ll give it a try. Thanks for your quick response. :+1:

1 Like

Also if you have time

You can tell me difference in battary life of manjaro KDE vs garuda KDE

I just want to know how much impact our performance tweaks has on battery life

4 Likes

I will surely do :wink:
I have only a couple of hours daily to tweak around with my laptop since after a month I have my JEE Adv. exam. You know, a typical Indian thing(JEE):smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah though I never got chance to appear for jee advanced

Best of luck in your studies

4 Likes

why?[quote=“librewish, post:11, topic:221”]
Yeah though I never got chance to appear for jee advanced
[/quote]

Why? :thinking:

Thank you :smiley:

3 Likes

I was,
I am
And perhaps will be
Lazy

4 Likes

Perhaps you’re doing better than others do after IIT’s. I also dream about building a Linux distro (maybe it’s too early :wink: )
All the best for your Garuda Linux Project :+1:
The distro looks quite attractive and I assure that it will nurture quite well.
Thanks for your time.

3 Likes

Well I’m still doing degree

And although I don’t want to admit but I have failed many times and made wrong choices in choosing career.

Like choosing architecture due to overconfidence
Then coming back to doing computer science engineering

Well garuda is a hobby project its the only thing I do except reading webnovels

4 Likes

Never mind, everyone does that. I, too, wasted quite a lot of time during my JEE preparations learning Linux or hopping distros. I’ve tested quite a number of distros just as my hobby but just hope within a month complete my course. I was quite sincere during my 11th and 12th but the lockdown disrupted my studies and now hoping to quite catch the mainstream for JEE.
Good Luck ahead !

3 Likes

Well the maker of Manjaro @philm also made Manjaro as a hobby project. Nobody knows the future :smiley:

4 Likes

I wasn’t sincere in 11th & 12th nor now :joy:

5 Likes

I stopped a while at EndeavourOS . Now just wanna try out Btrfs snapshots :innocent:
and a distro hopper from the beginning so going to install Garuda

5 Likes

You’ll probably see some familiar people then. Hop on!

6 Likes