Security/Privacy team players - check in!

Hey there! Me again!

Anyone into Cyber Security and Privacy and want to share about what apps you use etc? I would like this to be a thread that we can refer back to as changes happen and apps get deprecated and we replace with others.

What are some of the main apps you use for say email, web browsing, VPN, Music etc. Do you run a virtual machine for certain things? Do you load the tools you need on one machine for CTFs or use a persistent USB drive? This are just to get the ball rolling :slight_smile:

Would love to hear from you.

2 Likes

if i do something not trackable i use a non-registered mobilcard than share the internetconnection from a imei changed handy to my laptop with a live-usb version linux there i run a virtual maschine with another linux with a non logging multihop vpn

it is a question of useablity and compfort you can hide many things

i use no program i use a linux-router for vpn with wireguard protokol

the securest think is that you know what you do
for example what to allow in your browser for scripts
and what is important

blocking ports in firewall
or even open it for example for p2p
or anything else

and keeping the system up to date with security updates

by the way has anyone a antivirus programm on system on linux installed

greetingz nickschecka :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I use Sophos free on my main linux computer as I transfer and receive a lot of files from Windows computers.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I always log out of my Facebook and clear cookies.

1 Like

I use vpn for public wifi.
Also, I run the windows with VMware and Installed Kaspersky.
Sometimes use Whonix, parrot, kali.
But basically, I use googled-chromium on my host.
I think that privacy and usability are trade-off.
I do most of my work with just Firewalld and Clamav.

3 Likes

Things I use being aware of my privacy:

In my laptop with Garuda:

Settings:

• Falkon: Filter tracking cookies, Filter 3rd party cookies

Cloud Storages: MEGA & Nextcloud

Messengers: Telegram & Element

In my PinePhone: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im envious! How does that work these days and which variant of it do you own?

1 Like

The 199 € version?

1 Like

Yes. Manjaro build.

Smoothness is not yet as android (little laggy), but basic features like 4G, Bluetooth, WiFi and Hotspot are working pretty well, with bugs, but they are getting better with each update.

By the way I’m using it as my main phone (the only phone I have currently) :wink:

4 Likes

I’m curious if their recent acquisition by Kape (formerly an adware company that since rebranded as Kape and has been gobbling up VPNs like it’s going out of style) has changed your VPN of choice for your laptop.

If I may make a suggestion, either for you or anyone interested, a very little known and (criminally) underrated VPN provider can be had for the same cost (cheaper if you find the promo code to knock 15% off the 2 year cost, which I believe brings it down to $72 or $2.75/mo) as some of the much larger outfits but with much better speeds and IMO way better policies/transparency, etc. in VPN.ac

After literally years of research, I came to the conclusion that I would feel safe entrusting my traffic to this independent company. I highly recommend them and suggest them whenever I can. Check out their FAQ section and you’ll very quickly get the gist of what they’re all about, their values, ethics, etc. I actually just communicated with them via Wire the other day for the first time and you get actual first hand customer service from the people that built the thing from the ground up, not a completely separate entity reading canned responses off a script. Short of self hosting, it is my opinion that they are one of very few outfits worthy of entrusting your traffic

I’ll see if I can find that promo code… If I remember correctly I found it embedded in a YouTube video on them, it wasn’t easy to locate but worked a year or so ago

PS - you deserve more than kudos for daily driving a Pinephone! I’m very interested in getting one to tinker with myself but don’t think I could take the plunge and/or invest the kind of time and effort into making it my only phone. You’re a braver man(?) than I, friend. Cheers

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of this news. Thanks for sharing. Anyways, the subscription has been already over and I haven’t renewed it yet. I had read articles like this which made me aware that HTTPS itself does actual encryption and the ISP can only know which sites are pinged but not the contents shared. I use my PC only at home so I think I do not actually need a VPN here. But yes, thanks for sharing VPN.ac, I think I had heard of it, I’ll look into this.

You don’t necessarily need PinePhone. If you are unaware, here is a list of many WIP and working devices. Also many people are porting new devices to run Linux. Installing is as easy as flashing into an SD card. Maybe you can get something better on your own phone :slight_smile:

1 Like