RTL8822CE WiFi Stopped Working all of a sudden

Hello, my WiFi stopped working all of a sudden on Garuda Dragonized Edition. It shows it's connected but it either doesn't work at all at worst or is very finicky at best. I have tried restarting the NetworkManager service, restarting the PC, updating the OS, restarting the router, nothing seems to be a permanent fix. If I delete the connection in KDE Settings and reconnect anew it seems to work for some moments and it then stops working again. On Windows on the same PC I have no issues at all. Is there anything I can do about this?

What changed between it working and it not working? Things don't tend to just "stop working" unless it's a hardware failure.

Also keep in mind that noone knows what your hardware is so you'll have to provide that information (e.g. output of inxi -Nxxxz as text).

1 Like

I closed the lid and went on to my desktop. When I reoponed the lid WiFi wasn't working, That's pretty much it.

The output of inxi -Nxxxz:

Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Lite-On driver: rtw_8822ce v: N/A port: d000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  chip ID: 10ec:c822 
1 Like

That's not really a "change" in the system. For example, did you update packages?

Also worth checking the output of rfkill to make sure you haven't just disabled wifi.

However, if it did stop working when you closed the lid then it's possibly a hardware issue (e.g. you have a loose connection).

Edit:

Which package contains the

driver?

1 Like

Check status and logs

systemctl  --no-pager status NetworkManager-wait-online NetworkManager systemd-resolved wpa_supplicant network-online.target nss-lookup.target
journalctl  --no-pager --no-hostname -b -xp3
2 Likes

No, no packages were upgraded when it happened. I also thought that it might be a hardware issue, I'm still doing some tests on that, going to Windows and coming back to Linux to see the difference and in Windows it works reliably, maybe a little slower than expected but on Windows I expect anything pretty much.
Right now it works and just disconnects at random times. I'm thinking maybe it's a service provider or router thing. rfkill shows everything works fine, The only relevant logs I can imagine have something to do with this are the following:

Jan 20 02:35:28 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:37:03 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:38:19 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:38:38 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:39:36 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:40:14 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:43:44 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:45:57 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:46:16 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Jan 20 02:50:24 qushy-A15 wpa_supplicant[938]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33

Disable mac address randomization.

Then reboot your router and laptop.

If that doesn't work then reset your bios to the factory default. Doing a bios reset will mean you will need to disable secure boot again.

If all that doesn't improve things then install the linux-lts kernel. This adapter has been having a lot of issues since kernel 5.8.

4 Likes

Glad that helped, but could you please specify which suggestion or combination of suggestions resolved your issue.

For others with this chip I'm sure they'd like to know the solution.

I'm assuming it was the Mac randomization that triggered the issue at suspend because Network Manager will often randomize the Mac address after coming out of suspend. Some routers don't like it when that happens and they may not allow access afterwards.

Or, at least that was my first guess as to what caused this, but it would be nice to know for certain for others benefit.

It was actually a combination of things. I updated the kernel to 5.10-8, restarted the router and the laptop and it seemed to work fine for 30 mins that I used it so I marked it as solved. It may just have been a provider thing, I honestly have no idea. If it comes back I will try the Mac randomization thing and let you know but for the moment i seems to work fine. I even downloaded a game to test it and it was more than fine.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Iwlwifi connectivity problems