[RTL8822BE] Wifi slow-not working

In general i mean that it works fast everythere except for garuda linux. By slow i mea i get 900B/s and if im lucky 1kb/s, but usually its just on 0B/s. This might be out of the topic but i just downloaded Manjaro Linux to see if it would work there, well it doesnt work on Manjaro either.

Im just confused right now, it works perfectly on windows.

And yet:

So not "everywhere except Garuda" then?

When doing what?

So am I, I have the exact same wifi chipset in my laptop and it works perfectly.

You could try what Naman suggested above, or try moving your laptop closer to your AP, or look at the AP settings, etc. etc.

1 Like

Its super slow even when im not running anything, as i said it works on windows but when i tried garuda, manjaro, didnt work on those, so it might be because of dual boot, otherwise i have no idea but its like 2days now how im trying to fix this...

You might try the suggestions already posted, then feed back about what you tried and what the effect was.

1 Like

Ive tried what Naman said, except for swithing kernel, idk how to do that, nothing worked btw

It is preferred you do not open multiple posts on the same topic on the forum.

I would have unlocked your thread, but I only just woke up. I'm pretty good at multi tasking, but not so much when I'm sleeping.

Generalizations are generally unhelpful. By which method did you disable MAC Address randomization.

The forum has lots of information on installing new kernels. You can install kernels through the Garuda GUI for managing your hardware. Also be sure to install the corresponding headers.

This can be done in the terminal as well.:

sudo pacman -Syu linux-next-git linux-next-git-headers

or:

sudo pacman -Syu linux-mainline linux-mainline-headers

Or:

sudo pacman -Syu linux linux-headers

Or:

sudo pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers

You switch kernels at the advanced grub menu when you reboot. Multiple kernels can be installed at the same time with Garuda.

3 Likes

Sorry for making another thread just didnt know that you were sleeping, i think i changed it in some settings or something, cant remember whether it was a command or settings, im tired xd.

Oh and how do i pm an admin?

Install this driver (then reboot):

rtw88-dkms-git

You no longer need to PM a mod for the thread to be reoped now.

1 Like

The driver didnt change anything and i dont think i can install a kernel cause even with my phone usb sharing wifi i get like 5KiB/s, so it would take about 5hrs to install, after like 5minutes when the connection drops to 0Bit/s, it stops downloading...

I appreciate all the help you tried to gave me but i dont think its possible in anyway to fix this. Everysingle time i download any linux on any pc, something bad happens with it. Oh well, look how lucky i am.

Back to windows :frowning:

If USB Android tethering is also slow, then it is possible the problem lies elsewhere. Have you thought to reboot both your router and computer?

Kernels packages and the headers may be downloaded and installed offline.

1 Like

I rebooted my router 2 times and my computer? Well i rebooted it at least 10 times today soo i have no clue whats the problem, on windows it was faaaast, so it cant be that theres something wrong with the pc itself.

But i dont think ive seen a single thread that had the exact same problem. I really like linux, this distro especially but i dont think ill figure this out, man...

5KiB/s while doing what ?

The wifi adapter itself works fine (proven by my own laptop). Can you also replicate this issue using an Ethernet connection?

There are also options you could test for your wifi driver. However, I'm not going to waste my time troubleshooting an issue with a user who has already made it clear they will simply give up and waste my time.

Linux is clearly not for you if you have no desire to troubleshoot your own problems.

Give my regards to Bill.

1 Like

Thats not what i meant at all. I just dont want to waste your time and be annoying with this because its been 2 days, and i cant fix it yet, and yes i do want to but i dont know how and i dont know if its even doable.

Wait a minute, where did you check your internet speed? On which website?

Guys, I've got this. Had the exact same problems (I do every single time I install Garuda) and because your system is so damn similar to my own machine (Lenovo Ideapad 14ADA015) I'm going to tell you what I had to do.

I had to get my network adapter to stop falling asleep. And from looking at your own card model and how similar your system is to mine I think you've got the same problem.

If I'm right then this is what you can do -

First, you need to get ahold of yay:

#1. sudo pacman -S yay

Then you need to get the following:

#2. Get:

yay -S linux-firmware-git sparrow-wifi-git -y

#3. You're now going to apply the following changes to your settings:

Under the Garuda Welcome Launcher click on 'Advanced Network Settings' and make sure that your WiFi isn't set to sleep.

Then, look for your system settings and load that.

Under the Connection option check your Wifi settings and make sure your network isn't set to the 'metered' option. Make sure your system can re-connect if there's any interruption, etc.

Then, under 'Power Savings' you have to have it set to where your PC won't sleep and that your WiFi will always be on.

The settings for that tidbit on WiFi are at the bottom of the power savings settings for your laptop when it is on AC Power / plugged in / unplugged / at low levels (or something like that.

You'll have three tabs, and at the bottom of each you'll see options to change the option from 'leave unchanged' to 'always on'.

There should be (in the very same settings page) a section after that where you can define special behavior. You'll want to make sure your system is set to never go to sleep or to shut down. It is the second option.

I had to take notes on this and it took me several days to get my system working so try these and tell me if it works. Use the Sparrow Wifi tool (you can find it under your applications menu after downloading it) to check your signal.

Tell me if you need more help.

3 Likes

There are several changes in there that won't make any difference, for example installing linux-firmware-git (e.g. you can see in the commit log that there's nothing related to this wifi chipset).

Disabling power saving seems like a promising route, but given the issue the OP is having happens with USB tethering this seems highly unlikely to be wifi-related.

Therefore, the OP should:

1. Try a different kernel
  2. Try with an Ethernet cable
2 Likes

Yes, I had to change kernels as well. You're right about that... I left that part out because I wanted to see if those changes worked before I told him what kernels I downloaded to get everything (for me) working.

So, to confirm, you left out the one thing that actually solved the issue for you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Well...

If his problem is related to the system's chipset sleeping, it would be great if fixing that issue would end this problem before telling him to download linux, linux-amd, linux-tkg-bmq-zen.

OP, if you do decide to download those kernels like I did you might (it seems like I had to) type 'sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' after each install.

It's been over a month since I had to do all this, but when I get home later tonight I can reference those notes I had.