Pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict

Hi,
I have been using garuda for a month now but today when I wanted to upgrade using the command
sudo pacman -Syyu
I get the following output

:: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict. Remove pulseaudio? [y/N] y
:: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio-modules-bt-git are in conflict (pulseaudio-bluetooth). 
Remove pulseaudio-modules-bt-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-jack
:: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-lirc
:: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-rtp
:: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-zeroconf

When I disagree to remove pulseaudio I get

:: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict. Remove pulseaudio? [y/N] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict

Can Something Be Done

1 Like

Yes.

Either remove pipewire-pulse or replace pulseaudio.

The packages conflict as Pipewire is intended as a replacement for Pulseaudio.

4 Likes

Thanks but will it break the system in anyway or are pipewire and pulseaudio the same

Okay I have tried it and IT WORKS !! thanks
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Btw,

2 Likes

I am in the same boat. I have installed pipewire-pulse, and removed pulseaudio. Now I have no volume control in my tray and no audio on the system. I was not able to upgrade the rest of the system until I removed pulse due to dependencies.

here is the output of the pipewire commands on the Arch wiki

I’d suggest reinstalling Pulseaudio to remove Pipewire as a factor.

However, it sounds like you removed some other packages, e.g. a volume control, which depends specifically on a pulseaudio-* package?

2 Likes

I just logged in and got the same. I haven't changed anythiong yet. Will remove Pipewire and report my mileage.

―― 05:22:24 - System update ――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
[sudo] password for alienprober:                      
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 chaotic-aur is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict. Remove pulseaudio? [y/N] y
:: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio-modules-bt-git are in conflict (pulseaudio-bluetooth). Remove pulseaudio-modules-bt-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-jack
:: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-lirc
:: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-rtp
:: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-zeroconf
error installing repo packages

Retry? (y)es/(N)o/(s)hell

Tried a different approach, looked a bit into what I’d need to do to replace pulseaudio, so I removed garuda-pulse and after the update all I needed to do was adding β€œ-e bluez5” to the end of the exec line at /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf to enable bluetooth audio and then β€œsystemctl restart --user pipewire.service pipewire-pulse.service”

Rebooted the system and everything but switching between my headphones and my laptop speakers from the Plasma’s audio plasmoid work flawlessly. Pipewire is closer and closer from being a perfect substitute to pulse.

EDIT: Found that the main issue that impedes me from switching audio sources comes from an error with pipewire.service

dez 03 13:37:46 pasha-garuda systemd[927]: Started Multimedia Service.
dez 03 13:37:46 pasha-garuda pipewire[1434]: Could not get portal pid: Argument 0 is specified to be of type β€œuint32”, but is a>
dez 03 13:37:47 pasha-garuda pipewire-media-session[1436]: Register() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
dez 03 10:39:36 pasha-garuda pipewire[1434]: alsa-pcm 0x55ceaa1572e8: snd_pcm_status error: Broken pipe
dez 03 10:41:26 pasha-garuda pipewire[1434]: alsa-pcm 0x55ceaa1572e8: snd_pcm_status error: Broken pipe
dez 03 10:41:26 pasha-garuda pipewire[1434]: alsa-pcm 0x55ceaa1572e8: snd_pcm_status error: Broken pipe
dez 03 10:42:57 pasha-garuda pipewire[1434]: alsa-pcm 0x55ceaa1572e8: snd_pcm_status error: Broken pipe

Any ideas of how one can solve this?

3 Likes

removing pipewire-pulse seems to have done the trick. Thanks

1 Like
sudo pacman -Rns garuda-pipewire pipewire-pulse pipewire-alsa pipewire-jack
sudo pacman -Syu
3 Likes

this post helped me and i thank you for it .
I got no errors in grub now , also livecd had internet, no odd internet issues.
loving it ty for this distro.

4 Likes

How do you remove packages?

See librewish's post two post above yours.

1 Like

Woof. Man. I am too dumb to live. Thanks.

I wouldn't say that. We've all looked at something and it just didn't register. Quick fix for that.

2 Likes