Setting cpu: 7
Setting cpu: 8
Setting cpu: 9
Setting cpu: 10
Setting cpu: 11
Following CPUs are offline:
12-15
cpupower set operation was not performed on them

But I could do the same thing with corectrl, so no worries.

~ 
❯ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
amd_pstate_epp

~ 
❯ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
powersave

~ 
❯ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/energy_performance_preference
performance

~ 
❯ echo power | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/energy_performance_preference
power

❯ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/energy_performance_preference
power

As you can see energy_performance_preference is set to performance by default on boot.
So I have to run this every time I boot:

❯ echo power | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/energy_performance_preference
power

Is there a way to do it automatically on boot?

I have enabled corectrl to start on startup, so it automatically sets the scaling_governor to powersave

Hey tnx for this! I’ve been trying to find a way to know whether I run or not EPP. So interesting when we read posts and follow all sorts of threads.

What does your inxi "say" :slight_smile: ?

amd-pstate

Speed (MHz): avg: 3996 high: 4680 min/max: 400/4680 boost: enabled
base/boost: 3300/4650 scaling: driver: amd-pstate governor: performance
volts: 1.2 V ext-clock: 100 MHz cores: 1: 3374 2: 4680 3: 3453 4: 4680
5: 4680 6: 3372 7: 3319 8: 4680 9: 3471 10: 3605 11: 3510 12: 3529
13: 4680 14: 4680 15: 3544 16: 4680 bogomips: 105511

amd_pstate_epp

Speed (MHz): avg: 573 high: 3175 min/max: 400/4680 scaling:
    driver: amd_pstate_epp governor: performance cores: 1: 400 2: 400 3: 400
    4: 400 5: 3175 6: 400 7: 400 8: 400 9: 400 10: 400 11: 400 12: 400
    13: 400 14: 400 15: 400 16: 400 bogomips: 105519
1 Like
scaling: driver: acpi-cpufreq

Darn it! I gotta fix this. Tnx for pointing it out SGS and Austin. :smiley:

3 Likes

Is there a specific reason why cachyos is not in the Garuda Kernel Settings list?

Its not in Chaotic-AUR, thats why :eyes:

2 Likes

This looks like it will be interesting to try out. I have a 5800x3d coming in the mail so I will wait for that to arrive and swap it out before trying this, but I will give it a try

1 Like

I got my 5800x3d installed this afternoon and I was able to add the cachyos repo, but the kernel is giving me issues. The first time I attempted to switch to the kernel it completely broke my OS, I have an encrypted garuda install and after rebooting I was only able to get as far as typing in the password to my encrypted drive and it would just boot loop, luckily I have my system set up to automatically run a timeshift backup any time pacman installs or updates a package so I was eventually able to restore to the snapshot from before I installed the kernel. I tried installing the kernel again and it installed successfully and mkinitcpio ran as expected, but neither update-grub nor sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg correctly added linux-cachyos to grub's list of kernel boot options. I am currently looking through some of the grub config files to see if I can figure out how to manually add the new kernel to grub, but if anyone has figured this issue out already assistance would be great.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned in some cases the kernel has to be manually copied from /lib/modules/$VERSION/vmlinuz to /boot.

If you haven’t tried that yet, maybe give it a shot and then update-grub again.

Thank you, I haven't rebooted yet but manually copying the kernel to /boot and re-running update-grub did make it appear in the garuda boot options application, I will test that it shows up in grub shortly. If I understand things correctly doesn't using this method mean the copy of the kernel in /boot won't be updated when I run garuda-update and I would have to manually copy the updated kernel to /boot every time it is updated? If so, is there a good way to automate the process?

Looks like the cachy-os kernel has huge advancements in performance but still has corners to polish; then they should take the steps to add it to chaotic-AUR

Meanwhile it should be considered a beta. Is it in active development?

1 Like

I would also welcome an addition to Chaotic, once this is stable

Does anyone know about this?

Can’t you setup a cron job?

Yes, you can create a systemd service for that. I use one or 2 for various reasons and mostly are there as a safety net in case a kernel wants to boot with an option I don’t.

Do you know how to create a service?
If not lemme know, tonight I can share my example.

1 Like

I autostart CoreCtrl, sets it to "Ondemand".

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.